FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   External Miles and Points Resources (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources-723/)
-   -   FTEF gets 501(c)(3) approval! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external-miles-points-resources/1462856-ftef-gets-501-c-3-approval.html)

sbm12 May 6, 2013 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 20706457)
As I say, I am not sure it does...and I do presume that the FTEF consulted non-profit attorneys as part of their due diligence in creating this structure. But that was the subject of some discussion in the blog comments.

What value is there in expanding speculative discussion of an unfounded rumor? "Because someone somewhere else guessed X" hardly seems like a good reason to bring the conversation back up here, particularly as over there it was clearly stated that appropriate consult was sought.

This seems a lot more like a personal vendetta being aired than a reasonable discussion IMO.

kokonutz May 6, 2013 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 20706844)
What value is there in expanding speculative discussion of an unfounded rumor? "Because someone somewhere else guessed X" hardly seems like a good reason to bring the conversation back up here, particularly as over there it was clearly stated that appropriate consult was sought.

Lol, isn't that what we do around here...speculate about points and miles stuff!?

This seems a lot more like a personal vendetta being aired than a reasonable discussion IMO.
Now that sounds like juicy speculation! Let's discuss it!!

A personal vendetta by whom against whom and over what?

belfordrocks May 9, 2013 8:34 am

My thoughts on this -

If it were just the FTU's or similar, it would still be a big stretch to call it charitable(?!) or educational. But include the "premium" memberships, and it's nothing more than a business. So in my eyes I believe the 501(c)(3) approval to be highly flawed.

By the way, looking at the benefits for premium memberships, how can anyone justify paying $2000 per year for the right (what does this even mean?!) to purchase a MegaDO ticket? How can anyone with a quarter of a brain buy a premium membership, look at the benefits one gets and think "I got value for money here." Heck, I wouldn't even pay $2000 for a MegaDo ticket, let alone the right to buy one. This is an out and out con.

sbm12 May 13, 2013 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by belfordrocks (Post 20722844)
If it were just the FTU's or similar, it would still be a big stretch to call it charitable(?!) or educational. But include the "premium" memberships, and it's nothing more than a business. So in my eyes I believe the 501(c)(3) approval to be highly flawed.

:confused:

Just because they are operating as a business doesn't mean they aren't also non-profit and that their main focus is not education.

kokonutz May 14, 2013 6:40 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 20746510)

Just because they are operating as a business doesn't mean they aren't also non-profit and that their main focus is not education.

Compared to United Way or Komen, I'd say the FTEF is Mother Theresa.

Just because an organization is non-profit under the tax code does not mean it is not operated like just like a business including seven figure CEO salaries. @:-)@:-)@:-)

kokonutz Oct 29, 2013 1:37 pm

I went to see the latest 990s on the FTEF to see how things are going with everyone's favorite frequent flyer charity/nonprofit, but only the 2010 990s are posted:

http://990finder.foundationcenter.or...y=&action=Find

Most nonprofits already have their 2011 AND 2012 990s posted.

kokonutz Dec 19, 2013 11:42 am

With the announcement of the next FTU in Seattle, I again went to see if the 2011 or 2012 990s had been posted about the organization that runs them.

Nope. :(

freeloader Dec 19, 2013 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 21995168)
With the announcement of the next FTU in Seattle, I again went to see if the 2011 or 2012 990s had been posted about the organization that runs them.

Nope. :(

This is interesting... Aren't they required by law to make these public as a non profit? It's nearly 2014 - how can 2011(!!) be so late?!

kokonutz Dec 19, 2013 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader (Post 21995472)
This is interesting... Aren't they required by law to make these public as a non profit?

They are required by law to file them. The IRS is required to make them public.

It's nearly 2014 - how can 2011(!!) be so late?!
Beats me!

ETA: FTEF management have, in the past, assured me privately that FTEF files 990s in a timely manner. So assuming that is accurate it really is a mystery as to why their 990s are not posted.

fti Dec 20, 2013 6:12 am

Originally Posted by freeloader (Post 21995472)
This is interesting... Aren't they required by law to make these public as a non profit? It's nearly 2014 - how can 2011(!!) be so late?!

It is very common for these websites like the "990 finder" to not have the 990s online right away. Plus, if the non-profit organization filed for an extension of time to file (very common), then it can take months longer. Writing directly to the IRS can often produce a copy sooner, but I believe there is a nominal fee.

kokonutz Dec 20, 2013 11:05 am

Originally Posted by fti (Post 21999673)
It is very common for these websites like the "990 finder" to not have the 990s online right away. Plus, if the non-profit organization filed for an extension of time to file (very common), then it can take months longer.

I agree with all of this. But IME it is highly unusual for 990s to be this far behind in posting. There can be a 12-18 month lag period between the end of an organization's fiscal year and the point when its IRS return is available to the public, so 2011, at the very least, should be posted by now even if an extension was taken.

fti Dec 21, 2013 11:30 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 22001251)
I agree with all of this. But IME it is highly unusual for 990s to be this far behind in posting. There can be a 12-18 month lag period between the end of an organization's fiscal year and the point when its IRS return is available to the public, so 2011, at the very least, should be posted by now even if an extension was taken.

12-18 months from when the return is filed. 2011 is due in May 2012. An extension grants something like 5-6 months more to file, so late 2012. 12-18 months from then is early 2014. So unfortunately you are incorrect.

kokonutz Dec 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 22006808)
12-18 months from when the return is filed. 2011 is due in May 2012. An extension grants something like 5-6 months more to file, so late 2012. 12-18 months from then is early 2014. So unfortunately you are incorrect.

That's not what the Foundation Center says:

Please note that there can be a 12-18 month lag period between the end of an organization's fiscal year and the point when its IRS return is available to the public:
And the fact that nearly every other charity has 2011 available and more than half have 2012 available bears that out.

So something's queer.

That said, the IRS granted charity status in Spring 13, so presumably everything has been filed and is in order. So it must just be some kind of quirk.

fti Dec 22, 2013 4:46 am

Well, the Foundation Center is not the IRS so it is just their own hypothesis what they write. Also, being a CPA who prepares 990's for multiple organizations, I suggest there is absolutely nothing improper with not seeing a 990 Form online yet for 2011. I like your quote of "nearly every other" :)

It might be "available to the public" (to quote your source) through the IRS. As I said earlier, if you really want it, you can contact the IRS and pay for it - they will have a copy weeks if not months before 3rd parties receive it.

Nothing is "queer." You are just chasing rabbit trails.

kokonutz Dec 25, 2013 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 22009900)
Well, the Foundation Center is not the IRS so it is just their own hypothesis what they write. Also, being a CPA who prepares 990's for multiple organizations, I suggest there is absolutely nothing improper with not seeing a 990 Form online yet for 2011. I like your quote of "nearly every other" :)

It might be "available to the public" (to quote your source) through the IRS. As I said earlier, if you really want it, you can contact the IRS and pay for it - they will have a copy weeks if not months before 3rd parties receive it.

Nothing is "queer." You are just chasing rabbit trails.

Do you have inside knowledge about the FTEF or are you just speculating?

Because, as I note above, FtEF management personally assured me around the time C3 status was granted that all filings had been made and claimed to be as surprised as I was that the filings were not showing up.

As for 'rabbit trails,' I'm not sure what you mean. I don't expect to 'find' anything in the 990s. Other than how financially successful the FtEF is, of course. It's just weird, in my experience in the nonprofit world, that these 990s are so slow to post. But if you have clients who are as far 'behind' in filings posting as the FTEF, then ok.