FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   EVA air extended (1 week) layover? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1982446-eva-air-extended-1-week-layover.html)

dingding0220 Aug 10, 2019 6:13 pm

EVA air extended (1 week) layover?

Does EVA air allow for extended layover in Taipei? More specifically, I'm looking to book a vacation where we spend 1 week in Bali and 1 week in Taiwan, flying from Los Angeles. Thanks!

1337wafflez Aug 10, 2019 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by dingding0220 (Post 31402322)
Does EVA air allow for extended layover in Taipei? More specifically, I'm looking to book a vacation where we spend 1 week in Bali and 1 week in Taiwan, flying from Los Angeles. Thanks!

This is a multi city ticket. Of course no issues there. Just book it as such.

claimui Aug 11, 2019 1:12 am

I thought a ticket with a layover would be priced the same as if it were a single flight (just that you board the second segment a few days later), whereas a multi-city ticket would be priced as if it were two separate flights. Or does it all get priced the same?

moondog Aug 11, 2019 1:15 am

Layovers are less than 24 hours.

Stopovers are longer than 24 hours, but less than 1/3/6/12 months.

Some tickets allow free or cheap stopovers.

username Aug 15, 2019 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by dingding0220 (Post 31402322)

Originally Posted by 1337wafflez (Post 31402501)
This is a multi city ticket. Of course no issues there. Just book it as such.

In this situation, you generally do not want a "multi city ticket" as would likely be more expensive.

You want to look for a LAX-DPS-LAX fare that allows stopover in TPE. The rule would say if it is allowed and how much (+ the airport and departure taxes). The allowed length is usually the validity of the ticket minus the minimum stay required at your destination.

Tokyoite Aug 18, 2019 9:42 pm

Use google maps and find a pair of dates when you want to travel to and from Bali, LAX-DPS, (Filter airline to Eva Air).
Once you find dates, then switch to multicity, keep the departure date (LAX-TPE-DPS) you found above, and return date you found above, but change return to TPE-DPS. Then, add another leg DPS-TPE somewhere in between these two dates, and see how much it prices. Keep changing the dates for DPS-TPE until you find a fare you are comfortable with.
then replicate this on EvaAir website, or use third parties such as Kayak/Expedia etc.

MSPeconomist Aug 18, 2019 9:56 pm

The word layover has no clearly defined meaning (despite the Bourdain series).

A connection is under 24 hours (sometimes extended to first available flight if later, regardless of whether seats are available on that flight) for international, usually under 4 hours (with the same possible extension) for domestic itineraries.

OP seems to want a STOPOVER. Some (usually not deep discount) fares permit this and some permit it for a fee (perhaps about $100)....or you can just book multicity (essentially three one way fares on the same ticket) or even do an open jaws ticket plus a separate OW ticket for DPS to TPE (or vv).