Wiki Posts
Search

Eva de-icing incident at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by username
Gee, maybe they should get some training from UA staff at ORD

Why would this cause months and months of overtime? I would hope these people get paid for overtime.
There’s a staff member during the day basically babysitting the stricken plane.(Keep in mind the offices normal hours are from 5pm-~2am)

Maybe months and months is a little exaggerated but they are definitely working double time at the YYZ station. The poor staff are shortstaffed and still working endlessly to not only dispatch the flights but to coordinate all types of things for the damaged plane.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Dec 13, 2017 at 2:11 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
According to the incident report filed by the YYZ ground staff, some pax on that flight were verbally abusive(swearing at them, slamming their hand on the counter/makeshift table, insults etc.) and one pax went as far as to push an EVA uniformed staff member, though they still let them fly the next day! The ground staff have been working a tremendous amount of overtime. I seriously pity them. One idiotic move by a pilot and they are forced into what will probably be months and months of overtime.
There's prob two or more sides to the story. Some were tweeting & on local media that after the hotel and a $15 meal voucher they was no further details coming from the staff...... $15 meal credit was not adequate for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also passengers were not able to retrieve their bags if they were rebooked onto other flights....... Around 16-17 hours later (i.e. 4-6pm) people tweeted EVA Air and GTAA (Toronto Airport Authority) for contacts and there were none other than a 1800 number to their North American office that was closed on the weekends........

Relating this to my own EVA Air experience at IST........ where their check-in staff was missing during transit..... it took me, Mrs GHT and family 6-7 hours to call EVA Air in Canada, Istanbul, Taiwan and Singapore for assistance to issue me an onward boarding pass.......... No one at EVA Air (staff/contractor) assisted until another sub-contractor sympathized me, called Turkish Ground Services Manager and gave them crap for leaving a Business Class passenger stranded in transit for hours!

So... anyways.....i wont be surprised if people were tired, frustrated and upset............
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
There's prob two or more sides to the story. Some were tweeting & on local media that after the hotel and a $15 meal voucher they was no further details coming from the staff...... $15 meal credit was not adequate for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also passengers were not able to retrieve their bags if they were rebooked onto other flights....... Around 16-17 hours later (i.e. 4-6pm) people tweeted EVA Air and GTAA (Toronto Airport Authority) for contacts and there were none other than a 1800 number to their North American office that was closed on the weekends........

Relating this to my own EVA Air experience at IST........ where their check-in staff was missing during transit..... it took me, Mrs GHT and family 6-7 hours to call EVA Air in Canada, Istanbul, Taiwan and Singapore for assistance to issue me an onward boarding pass.......... No one at EVA Air (staff/contractor) assisted until another sub-contractor sympathized me, called Turkish Ground Services Manager and gave them crap for leaving a Business Class passenger stranded in transit for hours!

So... anyways.....i wont be surprised if people were tired, frustrated and upset............
They were given 15 for breakfast and 20 for lunch and dinner. Not just one meal voucher. Even if what you said is true(Instagram Photos prove otherwise), it is not an excuse to verbally demean and physically assault the ground staff.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Dec 14, 2017 at 10:07 pm
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:25 am

They were given 15 for breakfast and 20 for lunch and dinner. Not just one meal voucher. Even if what you said is true(Instagram Photos prove otherwise), it is not an excuse to verbally demean and physically assault the ground staff.
agree never to take it on ground staff..... but IME EVA Air's ground experience has been lackluster which can be very frustrating............Also at YYZ most (not all) of their ground work is contracted out to Swissport....which the media recently stated is the lowest bidder in some of the operations....... so their staffing is prob minimal....... I dont understand why give out North American toll free numbers if their offices are closed in the weekends. At least have a call forwarding option to their head office reservations team.

On air, EVA has pretty good service, but the let down I have observed has always been ground service / reservations

(Oh yes, and they forgot to load GHT Jr's meal on YYZ-TPE in PY too after Mrs GHT called twice for BBML)
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess in this kind of situation, the local staff definitely cannot handle all the work. I guess this being the weekend in both LAX and TPE did not help.

Knowing EVA, you would think they have an SOP for this kind of stuff. I wonder what happened.

It seems all the North American (probably worldwide) stations have the same arrangement of a few real BR employees wearing BR uniform + contractors?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:53 pm

I guess in this kind of situation, the local staff definitely cannot handle all the work. I guess this being the weekend in both LAX and TPE did not help.

Knowing EVA, you would think they have an SOP for this kind of stuff. I wonder what happened.

It seems all the North American (probably worldwide) stations have the same arrangement of a few real BR employees wearing BR uniform + contractors?
That is how most airlines operate. It simply isn't worth maintaining a huge staff count at the airport for just a flight or two a day.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is how most airlines operate. It simply isn't worth maintaining a huge staff count at the airport for just a flight or two a day.
Right. However, in this situation, you would think there is some kind of SOP to mobilize TPE or LAX Reservation Centers to start rebooking passengers? It is not ideal but it can offload the airport staff's work.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:27 pm

Right. However, in this situation, you would think there is some kind of SOP to mobilize TPE or LAX Reservation Centers to start rebooking passengers? It is not ideal but it can offload the airport staff's work.
Unfortunately, the reservation center staff only work till IIRC 5pm. After that, the NA office is empty, only a few non-reservation agents running a small ops center.
They did rebook everyone, you had a choice of AC to YVR and then onwards to TPE(next morning at 10am) or you could take the next day's BR flight(which they flew a plane with 20 seats more to accommodate the extra pax), or you could refund your ticket. Their really wasn't any other "rebooking" that could've been done. Many didn't bite at the AC flight because their baggage would not make it on the AC plane.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:04 am

The TSB reports that the aircraft hit not one, but two lights. One broke off cleanly while the other did not.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:21 pm

This might have been asked and explained but i dont get why a light pole needs to be that tall...
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Anybody know what the plan is for the fin that is damaged?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by BuBu4
This might have been asked and explained but i dont get why a light pole needs to be that tall...
The tall light pole was used to illuminate the de-icing pad so that the booms can safely navigate around the plane, especially under low visibility.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Anybody know what the plan is for the fin that is damaged?
The wing is currently being repaired/inspected in YYZ. After that, it will be able to return into service.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
The wing is currently being repaired/inspected in YYZ. After that, it will be able to return into service.
Any idea who is repairing it? Egas?

Also wondering if you know roughly when it will be back in service
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Any idea who is repairing it? Egas?

Also wondering if you know roughly when it will be back in service
Egas? That’s EVAs ground handling agency, not an MRO company.
The local MRO company(unsure of the name) is handling the repairs with the help of Boeing. It’s going to be a couple months. After being repaired, it’ll need to undergo test flights before going back to TPE, where EGAT(EVA’s MRO Subsidiary) will thoroughly inspect and test flight it before certifying it to go back into service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.