FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1673701-star-alliance-upgrade-award-eva.html)

mxqisit Feb 1, 2018 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyCsG (Post 29364732)
Just to add in my experience. I just redeemed for a YYZ-TPE (and return) SAUA for flights about 2 months ahead. Business Class redemption was not available on Aeroplan's website, and ExpertFlyer showed no 'I" availability. However, I called in to ask if the upgrade was available, and the call agent confirmed so. Purchased B fare on EVA's website, and redeemed my Aeroplan miles after on Aeroplan's website without any problems.

How many Aeroplan miles did that cost? I've never done an Aeroplan upgrade before however I have a lot of miles to use up. This could be a good option for me.

krispykrme Feb 2, 2018 1:38 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8 (Post 29366544)
​​​​​It will not work with BR if he purchases SEA-TPE-DPS as a single itenarary even if each each segment has SAUA availability.

That is not true.

I was able to upgrade my daughter from SFO to ICN just last November.

EVA just won’t allow you to use 30k to upgrade entire trip. It wants each leg upgraded with same mile as you are upgrading one leg.

You just have to burn more miles.

You can upgrade individually even if it’s married segment.

nomadic.relief Feb 3, 2018 12:04 am

Originally Posted by mxqisit (Post 29368608)
How many Aeroplan miles did that cost? I've never done an Aeroplan upgrade before however I have a lot of miles to use up. This could be a good option for me.

Just did it now, thanks to flyCsG's tip! 25,000 oneway from B fare YVR-TPE. Debating adding the 90 minute connection for an additional 10,000. Odds are I'll just fall asleep anyhow, so not as convinced on the second value.

username Feb 3, 2018 9:22 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8 (Post 29365189)
You will run into a married segment issue if you are attempting to use an SAUA on this itinerary.

What does this mean? Married Segment Control, by definition, is when they tie the segments together for faring purposes. BR's upgrade, by rule, is per segment.

flyCsG Feb 6, 2018 4:56 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29368294)
Curious, did you confirm *A upgrades specifically were available? I just called for my flights and was told there were upgrades available, but that it might only be for EVA, she couldn't say for sure.
*If it were out of the US I'd just purchase, try and refund within 24 hours if it didn't work, but that's not an option departing from Canada

Forgot to check back on the thread. Yes, I asked specifically for SAUA.

Originally Posted by mxqisit (Post 29368608)

25K each way, so 50K total. Worth nothing my itinerary is actually YYZ-TPE-KUL-TPE-YYZ. The segments with KUL were not upgraded (no availability).

krispykrme Feb 8, 2018 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 29375114)
What does this mean? Married Segment Control, by definition, is when they tie the segments together for faring purposes. BR's upgrade, by rule, is per segment.

you are absolutely correct.

hence if you booked SFO-TPE-SIN. You can’t use 30k miles total to upgrade SFO all the way to Singapore. But you can do 30k from SFO to tpe and another 25k from TPE to sin.

princesakura Mar 23, 2018 2:05 am

Does anyone know if there is a glitch currently in SAUA availability on BR? I'm trying to apply an SAUA to a BR flight showing availability on EF, but both Aeroplan and Asiana websites are saying no upgrade availability. I've actually changed the date of the flight between two days showing availability on EF, but neither day would show availability when I actually try to redeem the upgrade.

krispykrme Mar 23, 2018 2:55 am

Originally Posted by princesakura (Post 29557283)
Does anyone know if there is a glitch currently in SAUA availability on BR? I'm trying to apply an SAUA to a BR flight showing availability on EF, but both Aeroplan and Asiana websites are saying no upgrade availability. I've actually changed the date of the flight between two days showing availability on EF, but neither day would show availability when I actually try to redeem the upgrade.

which class are you looking at for EF? It should be I class not Z.

princesakura Mar 23, 2018 9:43 am

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 29557372)

Yes, EF is reporting I class as "Yes". I also looked on KVS, which gives C+ for the same availability. I will try calling Aeroplan to see if they can manually process it.

hayzel7773 Mar 23, 2018 10:32 am

Originally Posted by princesakura (Post 29558398)
Yes, EF is reporting I class as "Yes". I also looked on KVS, which gives C+ for the same availability. I will try calling Aeroplan to see if they can manually process it.

They will have to probably call BR and inquire further about the availability.

neuro0 Mar 23, 2018 12:21 pm

Upgrade go to Z class. People use I class as a gauge of Z class availability since Z class won't show up on EF.

princesakura Mar 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Interesting... Some people have said SAUA availability is I and some have said Z, within this thread and others.
Aeroplan agent couldn't do anything to check availability. EVA agent said they can't see SAUA availablility and said Z was not available. Still not bookable via Aeroplan or Asiana. EF and KVS show I availability and CS+ respectively; in these circumstances, I could have easily upgraded via Aeroplan already. Not sure what's going on.

gengar Mar 24, 2018 5:41 am

My understanding (from both reading FT and IME) is SAUA needs Z class availability (need to call into BR to inquire for Z class) - not sure why others are saying I class.

username Mar 24, 2018 11:19 am

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 29561240)
My understanding (from both reading FT and IME) is SAUA needs Z class availability (need to call into BR to inquire for Z class) - not sure why others are saying I class.

What people are reporting seem to be "need availability in Z but booked into I when it is all done".

neuro0 Mar 24, 2018 11:38 am

Still booked into Z as that is shown on confirmation.
Again, straigh mile redemption go into I class like all star alliance carriers.
Z is mile upgrade to Business class from paid Y ticket.

Dave510 Mar 24, 2018 3:00 pm

Mile upgrade from Y definitely books into Z and award definitely books into I class. Just made Aeroplan redemptions from last month for both.

gengar Mar 24, 2018 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 29562052)
What people are reporting seem to be "need availability in Z but booked into I when it is all done".

IME (using UA miles), SAUA has always booked into Z.

Kacee Mar 24, 2018 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 29561240)
not sure why others are saying I class.

Because that's where the *A upgrade books on most other carriers. An understandable mistake.

krispykrme Mar 25, 2018 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 29563668)
Because that's where the *A upgrade books on most other carriers. An understandable mistake.

No.

I class is the only class to check SAUA upgrade for BR using UA miles.

BR upgrade inventory is Z class. This includes EVA own mileage upgrade and electronic certificate. But it doesn’t make all of the Z inventory for SAUA upgrade. Those are I bucket (which is subset of Z). Thus there are cases where Z class is available but SAUA won’t clear.

I did a demo of this last year at a Chinese travel group on FB. EF showed Z only but no I. SAUA didn’t work.

If I class is available but Aeroplan can’t open the ticket online. Just call. Please make sure it’s per segment.

krispykrme Mar 25, 2018 7:22 am

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 29563364)
IME (using UA miles), SAUA has always booked into Z.

I am not sure how to make this even more clear.

Z class is BR J upgrade- this includes BR own mileage upgrade, BR own upgrade certificate. But not all of the Z bucket are allocated for SAUA (why would BR treat SAUA higher than its own passenger).

I class as is a subset of Z that is assigned to star alliance redemption (including upgrade). Both after clear will be Z even though it’s from I bucket.

neuro0 Mar 25, 2018 8:43 am

It makes sense that I class is "subset" of Z .

Kacee Mar 25, 2018 8:48 am

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 29564366)
No.

You clearly have reading reading comprehension problems so I see no point in responding to your misguided commentary.

Except to note that you're the one who got this wrong above:

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 29557372)

:rolleyes:

gengar Mar 25, 2018 6:58 pm

No.

BR upgrade inventory is Z class. This includes EVA own mileage upgrade and electronic certificate. But it doesn’t make all of the Z inventory for SAUA upgrade. Those are I bucket (which is subset of Z). Thus there are cases where Z class is available but SAUA won’t clear.

I did a demo of this last year at a Chinese travel group on FB. EF showed Z only but no I. SAUA didn’t work.

No, this is definitely not correct IME. I have never once used SAUA on BR when I>0 - i.e., every time I have used SAUA on BR, it has been on a flight where Z>0 and I=0. The reason for this is that I only ever use SAUA for one-way tickets when straight award redemption is not available.

nomadic.relief Mar 25, 2018 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 29566453)
No, this is definitely not correct IME. I have never once used SAUA on BR when I>0 - i.e., every time I have used SAUA on BR, it has been on a flight where Z>0 and I=0. The reason for this is that I only ever use SAUA for one-way tickets when straight award redemption is not available.

That was definitely my experience as well. Or at least I=0 for sure, had a friend check EF but we didn't know to look at Z. Rolled the dice on upgrade anyhow (where's the harm?) and it cleared instantly on a one way B fare.

Dave510 Mar 25, 2018 10:38 pm

This has been exactly my experience and rationale as well. I only do SAUAs on one-way B fare when awards (I fares) are not available.

hayzel7773 Mar 26, 2018 12:15 am

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 29564382)

I am not sure how to make this even more clear.

Z class is BR J upgrade- this includes BR own mileage upgrade, BR own upgrade certificate. But not all of the Z bucket are allocated for SAUA (why would BR treat SAUA higher than its own passenger).

I class as is a subset of Z that is assigned to star alliance redemption (including upgrade). Both after clear will be Z even though it’s from I bucket.

I can't even find Z awards on EF.

Z is a separate class that rev. mgmt. updates once a day based on booking trends. However, those using SAUA have less priority then BR's own FF. Rev. mgmt. will clear the BR FF first before opening up more to SAUA. What is already out there is fair game.

KVS Mar 26, 2018 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by princesakura (Post 29558398)

Originally Posted by princesakura (Post 29560628)
Interesting... Some people have said SAUA availability is I and some have said Z, within this thread and others.
Aeroplan agent couldn't do anything to check availability. EVA agent said they can't see SAUA availablility and said Z was not available. Still not bookable via Aeroplan or Asiana. EF and KVS show I availability and CS+ respectively; in these circumstances, I could have easily upgraded via Aeroplan already. Not sure what's going on.

If I class is available but Aeroplan can’t open the ticket online. Just call. Please make sure it’s per segment.

According to the information that we have, *A Upgrades on BR flights require I Class (AKA CS for KVS Tool Users), but are then ticketed in Z Class, which is causing a lot of confusion.

These details are also reflected in the BR section of the KVS Tool User Guide.

krispykrme Mar 27, 2018 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Dave510 (Post 29566918)
This has been exactly my experience and rationale as well. I only do SAUAs on one-way B fare when awards (I fares) are not available.

I demoed this last year.

need to see if I kept the pictures.

i am 100% certain you need I.

gengar Mar 27, 2018 6:20 am

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 29571501)

I demoed this last year.

As stated, every time I have used SAUA there has not been I class availability.

princesakura Mar 27, 2018 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29566476)
That was definitely my experience as well. Or at least I=0 for sure, had a friend check EF but we didn't know to look at Z. Rolled the dice on upgrade anyhow (where's the harm?) and it cleared instantly on a one way B fare.

Originally Posted by Dave510 (Post 29566918)

Originally Posted by KVS (Post 29571173)
According to the information that we have, *A Upgrades on BR flights require I Class (AKA CS for KVS Tool Users), but are then ticketed in Z Class, which is causing a lot of confusion.
These details are also reflected in the BR section of the KVS Tool User Guide.

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 29571501)
I demoed this last year.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Here is my hypothesis:
I've been trying to upgrade an SFO-TPE leg in the coming week using Aeroplan miles. There are three flights on the day: 17, 27, 7 departing at 0045, 0100, 1300 respectively. In the past two days, I've called EVA to change the flight from 17, to 27, to 7, trying to do SAUA at Aeroplan after each change. I also asked the EVA agent about availability of classes I and Z. Each flight had a different combination of factors, and it seemed enlightening to me:

BR 17, I not available, Z not available, EF says no, KVS says no, SAUA not possible

BR 27, I available, Z not available, EF says yes, KVS says yes, SAUA not possible

BR 7, I available, Z available, EF says yes, KVS says yes, SAUA possible

The circumstance of this particular day's BR 27 has never happened to me until this week. In the numerous times I've done SAUA on EVA flights from/to SFO, TPE, and CDG, if EF/KVS said yes, then SAUA was possible. Just based on this, it seems that both I and Z availability is required for SAUA. However, EF and KVS only show availability based on I. Now, I feel like I'll have to call EVA every time to confirm that Z is also available, before I try SAUA.

Hopefully others can use this and other comments in this thread as reference for their own SAUA experiences.

neuro0 Mar 28, 2018 10:00 am

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 29572018)
As stated, every time I have used SAUA there has not been I class availability.

X2.
That is why I go the upgrade route instead of mile redemption.

mxqisit Mar 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Just rolled the dice and ended up getting an SAUA:

September departure, October return, Aeroplan upgrade. YYZ-TPE-YYZ, both flights were I=0 and Z>1 (confirmed by BR agent).

So we're still no closer to figuring out the magic sauce.

skimthetrees Apr 19, 2018 12:38 am

Originally Posted by mxqisit (Post 29585177)

September departure, October return, Aeroplan upgrade. YYZ-TPE-YYZ, both flights were I=0 and Z>1 (confirmed by BR agent).

I do not know why you think it is magic. There is no magic. It is clear to me from reading this thread that the condition necessary for SAUA on BR is Z>0 which you had. In order to confirm Z availability you need to call BR. Neither KVS nor EF shows Z availability on BR so you need to call BR to confirm it.

gengar Apr 19, 2018 4:50 am

Originally Posted by mxqisit (Post 29585177)

More data points are always helpful when there is stubborn resistance to existing data points.

Dave510 Apr 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by krispykrme (Post 29564382)

Not true. Tickets from I buckets clear into I; they do not clear into Z. Attached is proof; note the I denoted at the bottom right.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c390abd03b.jpg

randywei Apr 30, 2018 4:48 pm

I have had many successes using a SAUA when there is no "I" class available. I don't use KVS or CS to check though. I just call EVA directly and ask them if they have Z-class upgradeable seats available on my flights of interest.

There have been times when I call and they ask if I'm using United miles to upgrade and if I replied yes, then they told me there were no I-class seats available. I continue to tell them I just want to know if there are Z-class seats available. When Z-class seats were available and I-class weren't, I would still be successful in upgrading using a SAUA.

My friends and I recently did this a few months ago. 3 of us all got upgraded on SFO-TPE and TPE-SFO when Z-class seats were available, but I-class weren't. Again, this is Z-class vs I-class per what EVA reps tell me when I call, not via any of the tools.

asovse1 Jul 3, 2018 8:46 pm

DP for anyone interested, since I've been following this thread for a while and nothing really made sense, the last post relevant to me was in March and it was pretty annoying to filter out the misinformation. Btw, thanks to Gengar it was your confident post that made me pull the trigger and you were right all along.
Booked: Today, July 3
Travel: January 2019/February 2019
SAUA program: Aeroplan, 25k points per way
BR 9 to upgrade to BUSINESS in this itinerary: YEG - [YVR - TPE] - SGN
Z = 8, I = 0, but agent confirmed Z is what mattered. ExpertFlyer only shows I, you have to call in to get Z availability
Hold time at 13:00 UTC-5: 30 mins to North American reservations number for Z availability check
75 seconds between clicking buy button on evaair.com and upgrade confirmed on Aeroplan site (to be fair I was probably too quick that if the upgrade declined I'd be freaking out)

Original fare booking classes: YEG -> YVR in S, YVR -> TPE -> SGN in B, SGN -> TPE -> YVR in Q, YVR -> YEG in K. YEG segments on AC.

escape4 Jul 9, 2018 10:55 am

I have a B-fare flight on EVA which was upgraded to Z. If I change my ticket to fly with another airline, I guess I will drop back in economy (B) but will I get my miles back?

asovse1 Jul 9, 2018 11:01 am

If you did it with Aeroplan, I think this is what happens from their T&C:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a36452fcbc.png

dgun25 Jul 11, 2018 6:10 pm

I was trying to book a B class ticket on eva to upgrade to business, as I usually have done. I have not been able to see B class fares, only M fares from TPE to LAX/SFO? Has any one else encountered the same problem?