FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   Eva Air on time Performance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1627378-eva-air-time-performance.html)

TurboFan779 Nov 9, 2014 8:45 pm

Eva Air on time Performance

I am looking to fly LAX-Taipei in December and was looking at the on time performance of the flight.

If you look below can this be possible:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...350Z/KLAX/RCTP

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...lightNumber=11

Its on time only 4% of the time averaging delays of 1 hour???

I was under the impression that Eva Air is a very good/reliable airline...what causes these delays?

exwannabe Nov 10, 2014 5:04 pm

I have flown the afternoon LAX-TPE only once, and it ended up being RX'd (medical diversion) to Japan. So can't really say much about that exact flight.

On the midnight flight, I have flown it a few dozen times and it is almost always on time (2 short delays, 1 LAX ground and 1 TPE weather, no missed connections).

I would tend to suspect that for some reason you have a weird snapshot of data that is not indicative of normal flight operation.

Kiwi Flyer Nov 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe (Post 23822175)
I would tend to suspect that for some reason you have a weird snapshot of data that is not indicative of normal flight operation.

Perhaps the changeover for end of daylight savings?

asiadxer Nov 10, 2014 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55 (Post 23817476)
I am looking to fly LAX-Taipei in December and was looking at the on time performance of the flight.

Its on time only 4% of the time averaging delays of 1 hour???

I was under the impression that Eva Air is a very good/reliable airline...what causes these delays?

The delays on BR11 & BR12 are caused by insufficient turnaround time mainly at TPE but also LAX. The 77A aircraft used for BR12 most of the times comes from either Saigon or Beijing scheduled to arrive in TPE around 17:00. Flightaware data for B-16718/19/20 showed average of 2+ hours of unloading/cleaning/loading the aircraft. So delay on BR12 scheduled departure of 18:25. The late arrival of BR12 will in turn delay the departure of BR11 (LAX-TPE).

username Nov 11, 2014 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by asiadxer (Post 23823611)
The delays on BR11 & BR12 are caused by insufficient turnaround time mainly at TPE but also LAX. The 77A aircraft used for BR11 most of the times comes from either Saigon or Beijing scheduled to arrive in TPE around 17:00. Flightaware data for B-16718/19/20 showed average of 2+ hours of unloading/cleaning/loading the aircraft. So delay on BR11 scheduled departure of 18:25. The late arrival of BR11 will in turn delay the departure of BR12 (LAX-TPE).

BR12 is TPE-LAX 11 is LAX-TPE. Both EVA and China Airlines follow the convention in the numbering.

Evergreen runs a tight ship and EVA runs a tight airline. It used to be the gate agents had to write reports if the flight was delayed. All that said, it sounds like bad planning to not leave big gaps for flights coming from PEK or SHA/PVG.

OP's link shows some flgihts taking over 14 hours. That seems very long - the longest flying time I experienced was 13:45. Maybe the routing is hurting things too.

TennisNoob Nov 11, 2014 10:06 pm

This question was brought up in the past and no one had a valid explanation behind it either.

I flew EVA twice in my life and both flights were delayed, one domestic was 30 minutes the other TPAC was almost an hour.

evergrn Feb 24, 2019 7:06 am

always late in winter months

Something needs to be done about their TPAC winter schedule. It's always running late.
I flew BR 9 the other day and missed my connection to CTS.

Looking at the recent past flights over the last 13 days, only 1 flight arrived at the gate at/before the scheduled arrival time of 5.35am. 8 out of 13 times, the flight arrived after 6am. Basically I'd be missing my connection half the time.

BR 9 is allocated 12hr50min from gate to gate. Our flight left on time, but took >30min before takeoff for taxiing and de-icing (cold day, but no wind/rain/snow). But even then, the total taxiing time at YVR+TPE (including de-icing) was just 40min and yet the flight arrived >45min late. The flight itself was uneventful, seatbelt sign off almost the entire flight, no deviation from usual route. Even then the flight time was 12hr50min. Looking back over other past recent flight times, that is very typical. They really should add on 25min taxi time for YVR and TPE combined (hence, the flight should be allocated ~13hr15min), but they don't. Yet they sell these very aggressive connections at TPE. FA's were handing out those tight connection stickers to practically half the pax in the PE cabin.

At the transit desk, I was reassigned to a flight 3hrs later and so decided to swing for either lounge voucher for 2 (family of 4, but I can only take 1 guest in to EVA lounge). I wasn't holding my breath as I expected a no, but their reply ticked me off. They flat-out said no voucher because it wasn't their fault... they said the delay was caused by weather requiring de-icing. I didn't press the issue, of course, but we would've still been >25min late without the de-icing.

We missed our connection this time, and a year ago we did make it but we were sweating bullets in doing so. I wouldn't book any EVA connection at TPE that's <70min during winter months. Moreover, they really need to figure something out to address their schedule issues.

username Feb 24, 2019 9:38 am

It seems the jetstream might also have something to do with it also? 12h50 flying time YVR-TPE seems on the long end?

It used to be in TPE they will have agent waiting at the gate and hold the flight if there are a lot of connections. Kind of crazy a 45 minute delay ruined the connection but west-bound TPAC in the winter...

TennisNoob Feb 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 30816012)
It seems the jetstream might also have something to do with it also? 12h50 flying time YVR-TPE seems on the long end?

It used to be in TPE they will have agent waiting at the gate and hold the flight if there are a lot of connections. Kind of crazy a 45 minute delay ruined the connection but west-bound TPAC in the winter...

At first I was going to be lenient and say they were new going into IAH but they've been experienced now. CA is on time, BR is almost always late.

evergrn Feb 24, 2019 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 30816012)

BR ground staff is helpful and efficient if they want to help you. I was met by an agent at the gate who told me to go to the transfer desk. FA told me there were 10 other people on the flight connecting to the same flight as us, so plenty of people missed the connection.
12:50 flight time is really typical for BR9. From 2/11-24, the flight time has ranged from 12:16 ~ 13:10 with median flight time of 12:45 (per Flightaware).
BR is always late, because their schedule is out of whack. If it takes longer to fly TPAC westbound in winter, then adjust your schedule EVA!
Allocating 12:50 gate to gate time for a flight whose flying time is 12:45 on average does not work out.

hayzel7773 Feb 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn (Post 30815628)
Something needs to be done about their TPAC winter schedule. It's always running late.
I flew BR 9 the other day and missed my connection to CTS.

Looking at the recent past flights over the last 13 days, only 1 flight arrived at the gate at/before the scheduled arrival time of 5.35am. 8 out of 13 times, the flight arrived after 6am. Basically I'd be missing my connection half the time.

BR 9 is allocated 12hr50min from gate to gate. Our flight left on time, but took >30min before takeoff for taxiing and de-icing (cold day, but no wind/rain/snow). But even then, the total taxiing time at YVR+TPE (including de-icing) was just 40min and yet the flight arrived >45min late. The flight itself was uneventful, seatbelt sign off almost the entire flight, no deviation from usual route. Even then the flight time was 12hr50min. Looking back over other past recent flight times, that is very typical. They really should add on 25min taxi time for YVR and TPE combined (hence, the flight should be allocated ~13hr15min), but they don't. Yet they sell these very aggressive connections at TPE. FA's were handing out those tight connection stickers to practically half the pax in the PE cabin.

At the transit desk, I was reassigned to a flight 3hrs later and so decided to swing for either lounge voucher for 2 (family of 4, but I can only take 1 guest in to EVA lounge). I wasn't holding my breath as I expected a no, but their reply ticked me off. They flat-out said no voucher because it wasn't their fault... they said the delay was caused by weather requiring de-icing. I didn't press the issue, of course, but we would've still been >25min late without the de-icing.

We missed our connection this time, and a year ago we did make it but we were sweating bullets in doing so. I wouldn't book any EVA connection at TPE that's <70min during winter months. Moreover, they really need to figure something out to address their schedule issues.

Originally Posted by TennisNoob (Post 30817251)
At first I was going to be lenient and say they were new going into IAH but they've been experienced now. CA is on time, BR is almost always late.

Originally Posted by evergrn (Post 30817746)
BR ground staff is helpful and efficient if they want to help you. I was met by an agent at the gate who told me to go to the transfer desk. FA told me there were 10 other people on the flight connecting to the same flight as us, so plenty of people missed the connection.
12:50 flight time is really typical for BR9. From 2/11-24, the flight time has ranged from 12:16 ~ 13:10 with median flight time of 12:45 (per Flightaware).
BR is always late, because their schedule is out of whack. If it takes longer to fly TPAC westbound in winter, then adjust your schedule EVA!
Allocating 12:50 gate to gate time for a flight whose flying time is 12:45 on average does not work out.

I will repeat what I said in another thread about BR's OTP. It's horrible, and they know it but they do not care. Simply put it, other than the CNX and CEB flights, they have backups in case you miss your original connection. If your inbound is late, they simply reconnect you onto the next flight. They only hold specific flights in the event the connection flight that you would be rebooked on cannot take you. The current policy is a hold of up to 20 minutes before a VP needs to make the call (and they avoid doing so because it screws up the outstation and the tight turn there). CEB and CNX passengers would just get hotel vouchers for the night. YVR is not a station BR scheduling considers as "normal" for deicing, and it therefore is not taken into account. Currently, only JFK, YYZ, and ORD are considered stations that require slack for deicing. Everyone needs to let the company know by writing in; otherwise, they will just continue their current practice.

They have such tight flight times because they choose the cheapest slots at outstations and they need to space out the North American arrivals. You will see BR's weird timings, such as a 00:05 SFO departure. Why? Because SFO slots are cheaper the moment the clock strikes midnight. They only shell out when they have to. They also have enough slack in the fleet to cover for any kind of delays; they will just tow another plane into its place for the day. Easy for them. BR also has a policy of not kicking people off the flight if they can't find you. They will literally run around to find you and hold the plane till they do. On the rare occasion you really push it, they will just rebook you for free (although I feel this may go with the new no-show fee).

tai4de2 Feb 26, 2019 6:08 pm

My experience on dozens of BR flights (mostly among SEA, TPE, BKK) has always suggested to me a very good on-time record. I must be getting lucky, or maybe have simply not noticed due to generous layover times of (typically) ~3 hours on flights I've been taking over the past few years.

east_west Feb 26, 2019 6:22 pm

The problem also applies to TPE->USA flights. I've seen many passengers running for the last B6 flights of the night out of JFK...

bsb7140 Mar 1, 2019 11:59 pm

Performance for BR51 has been very poor this week ... perhaps its something specific to the IAH station?

TennisNoob Mar 2, 2019 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by bsb7140 (Post 30837867)
Performance for BR51 has been very poor this week ... perhaps its something specific to the IAH station?

BR51 and BR52 has always been inconsistent since launch. It's funny most of the times the CA flight is supposed to depart later ends up taking off earlier.