Search

Pass or point-to-point fares?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Pass or point-to-point fares?

Following on from my other thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...l#post12393186

Global pass, yes USD$ 482 -> AU$ 553.40 (plus P&H)
Select pass, yes -- 6 days within 2 months -> AU$ 505 (plus P&H)
Countries must be adjoining though, so this does not seem to work?

Have priced up point to point at the "worst case cost" scenario, and it seems to come to:
301.20 EUR = 509.20 AUD

Keeping in mind with the passes, some surcharges would still need to be paid for reservations & sleepers.

So appears we may be better off just buying point to point fares?

Germany
Netherlands
Czech Republic
Austria
Italy
Total: 5 countries (in the above order)

Start 7 November

Frankfurt-Berlin 1 day
PTP cost is 82.5 euro per person

Belin-Amsterdam 1 day
PTP cost is 51 euro per person

(Amsterdam-Praha is by Eurolines bus, overnight)

Praha-Salzburg 1 day (leaves 1714, arrives 0014 next day - doesn't leave after 7pm so doesn't fit the 7pm rule)
PTP cost is (worst case 47 euros)

Salzburg-Venice 1 day (same day as the 0014 arrival, this leaves 0134) - overnight sleeper
PTP cost is 59 euro (4 person compartment, sleeper)

Venice-Florence 1 day
PTP cost is 35.20 euro

Florence to Rome 1 day
PTP cost is 26.50 euro

End 14 November
Total: 6 days
Old Sep 18, 2009, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by flashware
Following on from my other thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...l#post12393186

Global pass, yes USD$ 482 -> AU$ 553.40 (plus P&H)
Select pass, yes -- 6 days within 2 months -> AU$ 505 (plus P&H)
Countries must be adjoining though, so this does not seem to work?

Have priced up point to point at the "worst case cost" scenario, and it seems to come to:
301.20 EUR = 509.20 AUD

Keeping in mind with the passes, some surcharges would still need to be paid for reservations & sleepers.

So appears we may be better off just buying point to point fares?

Germany
Netherlands
Czech Republic
Austria
Italy
Total: 5 countries (in the above order)

Start 7 November

Frankfurt-Berlin 1 day
PTP cost is 82.5 euro per person

Belin-Amsterdam 1 day
PTP cost is 51 euro per person

(Amsterdam-Praha is by Eurolines bus, overnight)

Praha-Salzburg 1 day (leaves 1714, arrives 0014 next day - doesn't leave after 7pm so doesn't fit the 7pm rule)
PTP cost is (worst case 47 euros)

Salzburg-Venice 1 day (same day as the 0014 arrival, this leaves 0134) - overnight sleeper
PTP cost is 59 euro (4 person compartment, sleeper)

Venice-Florence 1 day
PTP cost is 35.20 euro

Florence to Rome 1 day
PTP cost is 26.50 euro

End 14 November
Total: 6 days
I would recheck that Frankfurt-Berlin fare I'm seeing fares as low as EUR 59/pp. What date are you planning on doing Berlin-AMS? You might be able to get the EUR 39/pp special fare for that route.
Cheers
Howie
Old Sep 18, 2009, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
I would recheck that Frankfurt-Berlin fare I'm seeing fares as low as EUR 59/pp. What date are you planning on doing Berlin-AMS? You might be able to get the EUR 39/pp special fare for that route.
Cheers
Howie
The fare I found for Berlin-Amsterdam was departing and arriving on November 8 (arrives 23:01). Departs after 4.30pm, but any time after 3.30pm would be fine I guess.

The Frankfurt-Berlin fare was departing Frankfurt on Nov 7 @ 09:13 and arriving in Berlin at 13:25.

NB: when I was pricing it up, I was doing it for 2 "youth" (one of us is 24, one is 25) and I assume with seat reservation?
Old Sep 18, 2009, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
The fare I found for Berlin-Amsterdam was departing and arriving on November 8 (arrives 23:01). Departs after 4.30pm, but any time after 3.30pm would be fine I guess.

The Frankfurt-Berlin fare was departing Frankfurt on Nov 7 @ 09:13 and arriving in Berlin at 13:25.

NB: when I was pricing it up, I was doing it for 2 "youth" (one of us is 24, one is 25) and I assume with seat reservation?
I just pluged in 2 adults and clicked the savings fares and I'm seeing EUR 124(including reservations) for 2 people on that train. If your willing to do the connection which takes about 5 minutes longer you can get 2 tickets for EUR 86(including reservations). For the Berlin-AMS trip I'm seeing EUR 82(including reservations). Doing all this via DB's website.
Cheers
Howie
Old Sep 18, 2009, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
I just pluged in 2 adults and clicked the savings fares and I'm seeing EUR 124(including reservations) for 2 people on that train. If your willing to do the connection which takes about 5 minutes longer you can get 2 tickets for EUR 86(including reservations). For the Berlin-AMS trip I'm seeing EUR 82(including reservations). Doing all this via DB's website.
Cheers
Howie
Thanks, I'll keep having a play around.

So you'd agree though that I'm better with point-to-point fares rather than a pass?
Old Sep 18, 2009, 4:24 am

Thanks, I'll keep having a play around.
So you'd agree though that I'm better with point-to-point fares rather than a pass?
Definitely point to point tickets will be much cheaper options for you. From the very first look you can cut those fares (you quoted previously) even more
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daken
Definitely point to point tickets will be much cheaper options for you. From the very first look you can cut those fares (you quoted previously) even more
The cheapest I can find for Frankfurt -> Berlin is 118 euro (total price for 2 adults)?

Frankfurt(Main)Hbf
Berlin Hbf Sa, 07.11.09
Sa, 07.11.09 dep
arr 07:13
11:25 4:12 0 ICE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.