Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vienna to Prague and back on rail

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Vienna to Prague and back on rail

Total newbie to European rail travel and did a search. Found suggestions for OBB and Bahn and then saw railpass site advertisement.

I'm researching for possible trip to Vienna and Prague - from JFK use miles to fly in/out Vienna, and then rail to Prague.

Are there multiple rail options?
I logged onto eurorail and second class ticket for two is about Euro415 (round trip)

What is difference btw second class and first class (about Euro100 more)? It's about 4 1/2 hr trip - I assume express trains.

My only experiences are bullet trains in Japan of 20 yrs ago, and Acela, NY to Washington - I wouldn't brag about US rail to anyone, and assume Europe much better at this.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 12:16 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
€415! Goodness, no, don't pay that.

Go here to the site of Austrian Railways (there is an English option), and pay something more like €116 for fixed-time tickets up to €357 for fully-flexible First Class. You can pay online and print your ticket from home.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:49 pm

The Austrian Railways website, www.oebb.as, offers one-way tickets from Vienna to Prague starting at 29 Euros. You just have to book long enough in advance and make sure the limited number of cheap tickets is still available, but I see there are lots of cheap tickets available, even on short notice. You can even pay with a credit card and print out the tickets online. Avoid Eurail for point-to-point tickets at all cost.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by dtsm
What is difference btw second class and first class (about Euro100 more)? It's about 4 1/2 hr trip - I assume express trains.
I guess it depends on your definition of express, it's not a slow regional connection - but not high speed express (like ICE) either. But it seems the only faster option on that route is Pendolino, which takes 4hours for Vienna - Prague.

You can find some info about 1st or 2nd class on the oebb.at website as well: http://www.oebb.at/pv/en/All_about_T...lass/index.jsp
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help. I had earlier found the OBB (or OEBB) website but even in English had difficulties navigating through it. But I now got it (I think).

As for express definition - I meant minimum stops, no necessarily bullet train

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.