Search

Making TGV reservations in Spain

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Making TGV reservations in Spain

Hi all,

My brother is going to Europe for the first time and made the unfortunate choice of buying a Eurail Global Pass (instead of being smart and planning ahead to get cheaper prices!). He will be taking the once daily Geneva-Nice train on 6/12 (TGV 9756) and will need to purchase a reservation. Since I know reservations for pass holders in France can be tough to get, is it possible to buy a reservation for that train upon his arrival in Madrid on Friday to ensure he has a seat? Also, what countries can he purchase seat reservations only online? I believe I can do that for Italy, but I'm curious if there are any others. Thanks!

Last edited by greenythebeast; May 26, 2015 at 9:37 am
Old May 26, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
TGVs generally only have a very small number of seats available for railpass holders, so waiting until a few days before he wants to travel really isn't recommended!

One of the best overviews I know of railpasses and reservations is on the Seat61 InterRail reservations section, that also gives hints on how to buy compulsory reservations online where possible
Old May 26, 2015, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
TGVs generally only have a very small number of seats available for railpass holders, so waiting until a few days before he wants to travel really isn't recommended!

One of the best overviews I know of railpasses and reservations is on the Seat61 InterRail reservations section, that also gives hints on how to buy compulsory reservations online where possible
Yeah, I'm well aware of that, but he didn't decide to ask for my help until this past weekend. He leaves tomorrow and arrives on the 28th in Spain so that's the earliest he'll be able to make a reservation. Hopefully there will be space available. I just need to know if it's even possible from Spain or not.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:29 am
In memoriam

Last year we used a France Rail pass in both Spain (FR pass is good from Barcelona to France on the TGV line) and found it was exceedingly difficult to get reservations since pass holders are apparently the lowest of the low on getting reserved seats.

My solution was to just get on the train I wanted and worry about reservations later. There is a fine for not having a reservation (up to 20 Euros) but it wasn't a whole lot more than the reservation cost. End up sitting in the bar car but that was actually more comfortable than the regular seats.

The whole Euro pass reservation thing is a big mess and really a scam since the rail systems sell the fantasy of hop on hop off which no longer exists where there are TGV type lines.

My takeaway from last year--don't buy a FR pass.

I just bought two TGV tickets for early July Toulouse Paris for a total of less than $70 including reservation on the SNCF site. Of course, you can pay much more if you wait to buy the tickets or have to take a certain train.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:38 am
Suspended

The whole Euro pass reservation thing is a big mess and really a scam since the rail systems sell the fantasy of hop on hop off which no longer exists where there are TGV type lines.
thats why i am here to give a big warning to everyone who want a railpass!
in the most country a railpass cost more that other/ national ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.