Wiki Posts
Search

Starting trip in the middle of a ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS , AA, Hilton, Hyatt, Kimpton, Hertz
Starting trip in the middle of a ticket

I bought a super saver fare from MUC - Engelberg. Due to a change in flight I will now be getting on in ZRH and going on to Engelberg. Will I have a problem since the ticket was not validated on the first sector MUC - ZRH?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:09 pm

Hi NotHome,

ZRH-Engelberg should be considerably cheaper than MUC-Engelberg. A full-price ticket costs only CHF 41 each way in 2nd class, CHF 72 in 2nd. You can find schedules on www.rail.ch. No need to buy in advance, just show up at the station for this 2-2.5 hour trip with frequent connections, buy your ticket and hop on the next train.

So if possible, just request a refund on your MUC-Engelberg "super saver" fare. Not sure exactly what that fare type that is, so cannot advise on refund conditions. If for some reason a refund isn't an option, you shouldn't have any trouble using the ticket for any train on the Swiss portion of the route only on the day(s) it is valid, as long as there is no requirement to travel on specific trains in Switzerland - this would be visible on the ticket itself (not just on a separate 'itinerary' document).

Last edited by Andre; Jan 4, 2013 at 7:24 pm
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:59 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Sometimes no conductor validates your ticket for part of the journey. Unlike an airline ticket, this is not a problem.

Not sure, if the unsued part of a ticket could be refunded, that depends on the type of ticket you bought and it should be written / printed somewhere on the ticket.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Well, if you are on a "Sparpreis Europa", you should be able to refund your original ticket at a fee of 15 EUR, so this would be the way to go if your (one-way) ticket cost more than 40 EUR. If you have a full-flex ticket, it can be refunded at no cost until the day prior to the departure date printed on the ticket.

However, if you want to keep your orginal ticket, this should be no problem at all (at least if the original routing includes Zurich - nobody can guarantee that a conductor will stamp your ticket between MUC and ZRH anyway, so you could very well have entered the train in Munich). However, if you hold a restricted ticket, be sure to hop on the exact train that is printed on your ticket in Zurich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.