Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Itinerary advice for 5-6 days in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Itinerary advice for 5-6 days in Switzerland

We will taking the train from Munich to Switzerland. Planning to spend about 6 to 7 days.

Our initial plan:
Day 1: Arrive in Luzern in the afternoon
Day 2: Luzern to Fluelen and Zurich (day trip)
Day 3: Luzern to Murren (Golden Pass to Interlaken)
Day 4: Murren to Bern (day trip)
Day 5: Murren to Zermatt (Glasier Express??)
Day 6: Murren to Wengen
Day 7: Murren to Geneva (Golden Pass)
Day 8: Geneva to Paris

From the forums, most recommend the Bernina Express but with our departure from Munich, it seems difficult to incorporate with the Luzern-Interlaken Golden Express and nights in Murren. We would like to add another day to ride on the Bernina. Maybe Zurich -Chur - St Moritz - Chur - Zermatt with a night in St Moritz?

We will be riding on trains for our month long trip (Rome-Florence-Venice-Vienna-Hallstatt-Salzburg/Munich-Switzerland-Paris-Amsterdam-Brussels) and not sure if incorporating more train rides is advisable.

TIA
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:16 pm

Pity you can't incorporate the run over to Lugano with the Gotthard tunnel as well ... great route and Italian Switzerland is totally different to Switzerland on the north side of the Alps.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:21 pm

When are you planning to go?

I am in the VERY early stages of planning 5-6 days in Switzerland next March. All I know right now is that I am flying into and out of CDG from PHL and I have 12 days on the ground - and want to visit Switzerland by train.

Will be following your posts to see what you wind up deciding upon. I am completely open to ideas and have never been before.

Happy Planning!
Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Alsacienne - It's hard to decide. If we do that, we will need either longer days or cut short our Berner Oberland stays. Would like to strike a good balance - hate to have eyes glazed over with too much train scenery but also want to use our 8-days Swiss Pass efficiently.

bluwater - Switzerland during October this year. Initially we were planning on getting the global rail pass for 21-days or 15-days. But after checking point-to-point prices, it seems that it's much cheaper buying directly due to the discounts offered for early purchases. Swiss tickets, on the other hand, are quite costly and the weather uncertainties makes it tough to plan efficiently. That's the main reason why we are thinking of buying the Swiss Pass.

Does anyone know how the Swiss Pass would work when buying advance tickets from Munich to Switzerland? Is it a hassle stopping at a town near the Switzerland/Austria/Germany border? Thanks.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:05 am

Programs: none
Just to be aware of timings, many of your trip plans might be too lengthy in reality times?!
Day two: Luzern-Fluelen, ship will take almost three hours, being the most wonderful experience, may be included in your pass??!!
But if taking the train to Zurich, why ‘Fluelen’? There is a direct one Luzern-Zuerich running every half hour and taking just 50min.

Day three: Luzern-Interlaken’Ost’!!! runs every hour starting at 6:30AM takes two hrs., then Interlaken-Ost/Lauterbrunnen about half hour, change train to cogwheel to Gruetschalp, again change to Muerren. This will take about an hour. Check schedules in Luzern at Info counter!!

Days four, five, six and seven. Looks like you are staying in Muerren. Cumbersome as all desires will need to go through Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken.

Muerren to Geneva, go to Spiez and take “Golden Pass panoramic” to Zweisimmen, and on to Montreux-Geneva
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:55 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bluwater
When are you planning to go?

I am in the VERY early stages of planning 5-6 days in Switzerland next March. All I know right now is that I am flying into and out of CDG from PHL and I have 12 days on the ground - and want to visit Switzerland by train.

Will be following your posts to see what you wind up deciding upon. I am completely open to ideas and have never been before.

Happy Planning!
The days are still pretty short in March, hence you will have less time/day to see the magnificent scenery. The ships on Lake Luzern (the official name is too complicated to write) would still be on winter/spring schedule--starting in May the summer timetable has far more trips. If you could go in May you would see more scenery and the full summer tourist season (less crowded) would not have kicked in.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:57 pm

I second Kanopemaner's suggestions. Enjoy yourself. Train travel in Switzerland is fantastic.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:17 pm

Out of the five times I have been to Switzerland, I have yet to really visit Zurich. I have used the Swiss pass on three of my trips. It is a great pass. It includes free admission to many museums, free transit on several city's local bus system and discounts on cable cars, private trains, etc.

In Luzern, we have taken a 2/3 day trip to Mt. Pilatus using the train, cog wheel train, cable car & cit bus. The view from Mt. Pilatus is fabulous on a clear day. We arrived back in town to wander around. It is such a cute town.

Skip the Glacier Express. Way overrated. It is a long journey and quite frankly I have seen better views on other Swiss trains.

We have stayed three times in the OB area...Interlaken, Wengen and Lauterbrunnen. Best place for transportation is Lauterbrunnen. From here, it is an easy train ride to Wengen and Murren. Plus, it is a beautiful town. A nice day trip is up to Murren (on to Schilthorn if desired, discount with Swiss Pass) cable car down to Stechelberg, bus to Trummelbach Falls and bus back to Lauterbrunnen.

Day 7 I would take the train from the OB area to Montreux. Visit Chateau De Chillon (free with Swiss Pass). Local buses are also free in Montreux with the Swiss Pass. The town represents Switzerland so much better than Geneva. I have stayed in Montreux and used the Swiss Pass to train to Geneva in the early morning to connect to the train to Paris.

Switzerland is my favorite European country. I am already planning to return.
Ingrid likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: AF-Platinum for Life / LH-M&M / Radisson Rewards Platinum / IHG Gold
For day 7 I can also recommend two smaller lines:
- the "Train Des Vignes": a 7km-ride between Vevey and Puidoux-Chexbres
- a rather unknown regional line between Morges and l'Isle-La-Ville: very scenic and no tourists.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I'd like to resurrect this thread, hoping for advice. We have 4 nights in Wengen in July (a 5th night elsewhere yet to be determined). Arrive around 1 PM on Day 1 and leave whenever on Day 5 (so 3 full days and 2 half days). Will have our teen kids with us. I am completely overwhelmed with all the hike and day trip options. Can someone recommend some easy hikes (up to 2 hours) and day trips/activities that are <$50pp not including transport? I know there are towns like Grindelwald, Murren, and Interlaken, but can they fill a day? Is there a combo that would be feasible: hike + day trip?

Seems like B.O. regional pass is the easiest and most economical for getting around, but if anyone has better suggestions, please let me know!
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'd like to resurrect this thread, hoping for advice. We have 4 nights in Wengen in July (a 5th night elsewhere yet to be determined). Arrive around 1 PM on Day 1 and leave whenever on Day 5 (so 3 full days and 2 half days). Will have our teen kids with us. I am completely overwhelmed with all the hike and day trip options. Can someone recommend some easy hikes (up to 2 hours) and day trips/activities that are <$50pp not including transport? I know there are towns like Grindelwald, Murren, and Interlaken, but can they fill a day? Is there a combo that would be feasible: hike + day trip?

Seems like B.O. regional pass is the easiest and most economical for getting around, but if anyone has better suggestions, please let me know!
You can take the gondola up from Grindelwald to First and then walk over to the Bachalpsee. https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/grinde...ke-bachalpsee/

You have more than likely seen many pictures of this lake. It's well worth the trip on a nice day.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by greg5
You can take the gondola up from Grindelwald to First and then walk over to the Bachalpsee. https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/grinde...ke-bachalpsee/

You have more than likely seen many pictures of this lake. It's well worth the trip on a nice day.
I like a city+walk+landscape day This is exactly the type of advice I was looking for. Thanks.

If anyone else has suggestions, I’d love to hear them and add to my list.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Are you going up to the top Junfrauroch given you are so close? There is a long walk from the ice tunnel out onto the snow. Book your times if you can to guarantee a seat on a particular train up and back.

I spent 2 nights in Interlaken and would love to go back. There is the trip up to Harder Klum that is worth it for the views of both lakes at once. Just go early as the train only takes a limited number of people and only goes ever 20/30 mins from memory. Exiting on our return at around lunch time there was a looong queue that would have taken 2 or 3 trains to clear!

I also liked walking around Interlaken, particularly over the water to Unterseen as there are some really old chalets around there, particularly on one corner where there are 3 together. We just missed some street markets nearby that looked funky from what was being packed up. There are some walks into the countryside but we didn't do it. We grabbed a quick and cheap lunch from the Co-op and sat in the park watching the parasailers coming in to land. If you go to Harder Klum, some of them pass by the observation deck there!
rickg523 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by dddc
Are you going up to the top Junfrauroch given you are so close? There is a long walk from the ice tunnel out onto the snow. Book your times if you can to guarantee a seat on a particular train up and back.

I spent 2 nights in Interlaken and would love to go back. There is the trip up to Harder Klum that is worth it for the views of both lakes at once. Just go early as the train only takes a limited number of people and only goes ever 20/30 mins from memory. Exiting on our return at around lunch time there was a looong queue that would have taken 2 or 3 trains to clear!

I also liked walking around Interlaken, particularly over the water to Unterseen as there are some really old chalets around there, particularly on one corner where there are 3 together. We just missed some street markets nearby that looked funky from what was being packed up. There are some walks into the countryside but we didn't do it. We grabbed a quick and cheap lunch from the Co-op and sat in the park watching the parasailers coming in to land. If you go to Harder Klum, some of them pass by the observation deck there!
We were not planning to do Jungfrauroch b/c with 5 of us it tips the budget. But I would like to go to Interlaken and will add your suggestions to my list of activities. It seems like it would be an easy day trip from Wengen. Thank you!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
We were not planning to do Jungfrauroch b/c with 5 of us it tips the budget. But I would like to go to Interlaken and will add your suggestions to my list of activities. It seems like it would be an easy day trip from Wengen. Thank you!
Your welcome! It may be worth contacting the Swiss Travel Centre with your plans and see if they have a cheaper train pass for you. I used them last year and they got me one that I didn't realise was available or would work for my kind of trip. This particular pass came with discounts on other train journeys including Harder Klum for example. If you don't have a look at the tourist magazines and leaflets in the hotel as I thought I saw some offering a 10% discount - or that may have been with our free Interlaken bus pass that our hotel gave us. So many tricks to cheap/free tickets. Eg, at Geneva airport you can get a free 2nd class train ticket that from a machine in the arrivals hall that lasts for transport for 90 mins.
Ingrid likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.