Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Sevilla to Madrid via AVE Train on Renfe - Tickets in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2006, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum

We are going to take the AVE train from Sevilla to Madrid and I was wondering whether this was something we should book in advance online or whether it is fairly easy and available to just show up that day and buy a ticket for it?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:58 am

I have the same question too. Would it be cheaper to purchase the ticket well in advance (e.g., from the website)?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:09 am

It might be helpful to book online, and it's always been my experience that if I can do something in advance from home its a lot less hassle later, but I don't think it'll be necessary. While Ive only been on six trains in spain, I never had a problem getting a ticket, and two of those rides were from madrid to pamplona and back the first weekend in July. Cant say which way would be cheaper, but whatever you do I'd suggest buying your return ticket at the same time.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:23 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
95+% chance you will not have a problem just turning up at the station and buying a ticket for the next train, but the AVE is something that most people would probably book in advance. That said, the trains are so frequent that if you arrive at Atocha and the next train is completely full, you probably only have 30 minutes or so to wait. I do not believe there is any price difference between tickets booked in advance or tickets purchased on the day of travel.

IIRC, you need some sort of account with Renfe to buy tickets online. I would suggest just going to a major train station once you arrive in Spain and telling them when you would like to travel. You could also go to a travel agent which will almost certainly be more convenient. They will charge a minimal fee for their service, maybe 3-5 euro. If you have difficulty with Spanish I would reccomend this route, perhaps go to an El Corte Ingles store and there should be a travel agency with somebody who speaks some English.

You will have the option of "preferente" class which involves better seats, an adequate meal, and lounge access (with free beer and wine) at both ends. I think this is about EUR 30 more than regular class and I thought it was worth it. Also be aware that if you book a round trip ticket (de ida y vuelta) you get a 20% discount so this makes sense to do as well.

If you are travelling on Aug 1st, Aug 30th, or around Christmas booking ahead will be essential.

Travelling by AVE is easy and fun, it will make you wish such services existed in the USA.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA*G, SK-EBB, DL-G, IB-Silver Marriott Gold , HHonors Gold, SHG Gold
Good advice so far. Booking in advance does not give discount but only gaurantees a seat (together when 2 or more) at the desired time.

A discount of 25% exhists with Renfe when the trip is connected to an International flight or to flights from the Canary or Belaeric Islands. (they do not need to charge value added taxes under these conditions)

The problem is getting someone who understands this. I tried on one occasion at Madrid Atocha and did not get the discount. It says that you need to produce the connecting airline ticket to receive the discount.

A round-trip ticket gives a 20% discount but that would not benefit your case.

The prices are peak/off-peak
Turist 69,80 / 63,60
Preferente 105,20 / 94,80
Club 127,10 / 114,60

Reservations can also be made by internet (after registration) or per telephone +34 902 24 02 02 and then you just pick them up using the same credit card used to make the purchase. (here i have experienced problems with my card being accepted in the machines at the stations)

You can even book seats on these machines but then the issue becomes whether your card will work in the very last step.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MADflyer
Good advice so far. Booking in advance does not give discount but only gaurantees a seat (together when 2 or more) at the desired time.

A discount of 25% exhists with Renfe when the trip is connected to an International flight or to flights from the Canary or Belaeric Islands. (they do not need to charge value added taxes under these conditions)

The problem is getting someone who understands this. I tried on one occasion at Madrid Atocha and did not get the discount. It says that you need to produce the connecting airline ticket to receive the discount.

A round-trip ticket gives a 20% discount but that would not benefit your case.
I'll be getting round trip tickets soon(ish) for travel between Valencia and Benicassim - does that mean I can get a 25% discount AND the 20% return discount?
the flight will be with EZ or FR, so no chance of a ticket, just a confirmation and itinerary... and the train tickets will have to be booked as soon as they become available (the festival I'm going to is extremely popular and trains book out way in advance)
I speak Spanish, any ideas who I should contact?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA*G, SK-EBB, DL-G, IB-Silver Marriott Gold , HHonors Gold, SHG Gold
Originally Posted by LapLap
I'll be getting round trip tickets soon(ish) for travel between Valencia and Benicassim - does that mean I can get a 25% discount AND the 20% return discount?
the flight will be with EZ or FR, so no chance of a ticket, just a confirmation and itinerary... and the train tickets will have to be booked as soon as they become available (the festival I'm going to is extremely popular and trains book out way in advance)
I speak Spanish, any ideas who I should contact?
I think the 20% works on the website when you buy online but do not have too much experience. I get that one all the time when I do the Madrid-toledo route though.

The 25% discount is clearly stated under discounts on their website but getting it has proven more difficult to me.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold
I am trying to book tickets for Seville to Madrid on Renfe for September. In navigating the website (is there an English version, I can only find Spanish) it seems that they do not book more than 120 days out. Is this correct? If I call can I book farther out?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
please continue to follow this thread in our european rail forum

regards,

chrissxb
europe forum
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: LH, Qantas
Hi,

Originally Posted by ghia74
I am trying to book tickets for Seville to Madrid on Renfe for September. In navigating the website (is there an English version, I can only find Spanish) it seems that they do not book more than 120 days out. Is this correct? If I call can I book farther out?
As a rule you cannot. I have just checked the web page and, even if it is surprising the information is only available in English.

Tip: if yo do book it three months in advance (day by day) you will get a much nicer price than if you wait, let's say just a couple of weeks. Cheap tickets are sold pretty fast.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by ghia74
is there an English version, I can only find Spanish
You should be able to switch to English with the language choice in the left bottom corner (“Seleccione su idioma”). But it looks as if it does not work very well.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 5:16 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Originally Posted by GoCanes
We are going to take the AVE train from Sevilla to Madrid and I was wondering whether this was something we should book in advance online or whether it is fairly easy and available to just show up that day and buy a ticket for it?

Thanks in advance.
No, never wait for the same day. You can book AVE tickets on www.renfe.es
You have a special WEB fare which is only available for certain trains and is non-ferundable, no-changable... You may opt for a plane.There are good promotions as low as 23 eur return on www.spanair.com, www.aireuropa.com, or www.iberia.com
If you have any further questions ask me here.
P.S. Note that Sevilla is high season from mid March until mid Oct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.