Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-MAD-OPO connection/control questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:58 am
Original Poster

JFK-MAD-OPO connection/control questions

We're flying from New York to Madrid on Delta (award flight using Delta miles), then connecting in Madrid to a TAP Portugal award flight to Porto (using United miles).

1. Can Delta check our bags through to the TAP flight? I can't get a straight answer from either airline. And what would we need to show at Delta check in to get them to check the bags through? TAP doesn't allow online check in from US so I won't have a boarding pass, I only have the e-mail confirmation of the flight from United. Not sure that's enough to convince Delta to send bags through, if they even can. And TAP has no presence at JFK, so we can't check in at a TAP counter there.

2. If our bags can't get checked through, do we have to collect them and go through passport control, customs, etc., and then come back through security to get the connecting flight? Any guess as to how long it would take to do all that at MAD, plus get from T1 to T2?

3. How do these things always end up being so complicated!?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only DL will know whether they interline with TP.
Personally, I'd take UX to LIS then go by train/rent a car...MAD-OPO is a waste of miles for a redemption...
Old Aug 12, 2008, 5:23 pm

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
I agree MAD-OPO is a waste of miles for a redemption. You'll spend 20000 miles at least for a 1 hour flight that you can get in vueling or clickair for less than 100€ round trip with a little luck.

Regarding your questions, I don't think DL will allow you to check the luggage all the way to OPO as you have flight tickets issued separatedly and you don't even have the boarding pass. Nevertheless try it at the airpor, you never know.

In the case you can't check your luggage all the way to OPO, you'll have to go through customs and passport control in MAD. Customs shouldn't be a problem but passport control can be depending on your landing time and the amount of non-EU citizens coming at the same time, especially if some of these flights come from countries where a visa is required to enter the EU. Then you'll have to change terminal and check-in again. Think that you'll need at least 1 hour for customs and passport clearance, around 15 minutes walking to the next terminal and check-in (all of these being not so conservative), and you have to check-in at least 45 minutes before your flight MAD-OPO....so think about 3 hour connection at least just to be sure
Old Aug 13, 2008, 1:39 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by dragonfirebcn
I

Regarding your questions, I don't think DL will allow you to check the luggage all the way to OPO as you have flight tickets issued separatedly and you don't even have the boarding pass.
That doesn't matter. If Delta and TAP have an interlining agreement they can check you in for the TAP flight and can check you luggage through.You might only have to pick up your boarding pass for TAP at Madrid at the gate or a transfer center. Don't know how this works there.

I did this once flying NW from MSP-EWR connecting to LH EWR-FRA. Two separated tickets and NW checked my luggage through and I think I got my LH boarding pass at EWR at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.