Reload this Page >

Bulgaria Travel Thread [was: Drinking Tap Water in Bulgaria....?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bulgaria Travel Thread [was: Drinking Tap Water in Bulgaria....?]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:56 pm

At this point I'm just following along to relive our wonderful memories of visiting Bulgaria vicariously through @kokonutz's posts
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by gonebabygone
At this point I'm just following along to relive our wonderful memories of visiting Bulgaria vicariously through @kokonutz's posts
Same here!

in 2017 we drove from Budapest to Sofia where we stayed 5 days. After Sofia, we drove to Bansko where we stayed another 5 days before returning to Budapest.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:08 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Well I am happy to oblige...although I am still about 2 weeks behind.

We flew from Sofia to Burgas where we had hired a car to take us to Sozopol.

Here's a quick FAQ on it:
Why go to Sozopol Bulgaria?
Affordable luxury beach vacation. Long lingering dinners, traditional dancing at restaurants as well as history and culture.

What to do in Sozopol Bulgaria?
Lay on the beach, swim in the ocean, explore the old town and enjoy amazing Bulgarian food with amazing views.

Where to stay in Sozopol?
The beach or the Old Town - it's up to you! Either way you'll find lots of affordable upscale lodging and homestay options.

We stayed on the beach and explored the old town and had dinner at two fantastic restaurants: Panorama and Veranda. But mostly we laid on the beach, had cocktails on the beach and then laid on the beach some more.

Of the beach towns we visited (Sozopol, Burgas, Sunny Beach, Varna) it was by far the most laid back.

Blog post: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/07/16/...ia-for-3-days/

Disclosure: this link is to a blog post that I wrote on a site that I own and have a financial interest in.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by KLouis
As a geneticist I find this thread really interesting, from an educational point of view: there are people (e.g. my ophthalmologist) who simply don't understand how it was possible that evolution led to such a diversity of life forms on earth in "only" a few billion years. Now, this thread started on the quality of drinking water in Bulgaria, went over to discussing general tourism over there and has now moved (after a few posts on one particular area) to modalities of tourism. I'm waiting to see whether there will soon be a selective pressure that will lead the thread to, perhaps, discussing Bulgarian opera singers (of whom there were/are quite a few excellent ones). Mind you we've only arrived to post # 27, so this may take much longer!

PS Mind you, this is not a unique phenomenon in FT, it happens quite often...
well we put the water thing to bed and moved on. Something I guess an academic cannot simply do. Life is fluid as are people. And I really appreciate 99% of the replies here.

thanks to all that have shared!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Well I am happy to oblige...although I am still about 2 weeks behind.

We flew from Sofia to Burgas where we had hired a car to take us to Sozopol.

Here's a quick FAQ on it:
Why go to Sozopol Bulgaria?
Affordable luxury beach vacation. Long lingering dinners, traditional dancing at restaurants as well as history and culture.

What to do in Sozopol Bulgaria?
Lay on the beach, swim in the ocean, explore the old town and enjoy amazing Bulgarian food with amazing views.

Where to stay in Sozopol?
The beach or the Old Town - it's up to you! Either way you'll find lots of affordable upscale lodging and homestay options.

We stayed on the beach and explored the old town and had dinner at two fantastic restaurants: Panorama and Veranda. But mostly we laid on the beach, had cocktails on the beach and then laid on the beach some more.

Of the beach towns we visited (Sozopol, Burgas, Sunny Beach, Varna) it was by far the most laid back.

Blog post: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/07/16/...ia-for-3-days/

Disclosure: this link is to a blog post that I wrote on a site that I own and have a financial interest in.
Awesome. We didn't have enough time to make it to the Black Sea, so we'll have to save that for another time.

The area seems to have developed a reputation for receiving increasing numbers of loud and obnoxious tourists from England thanks to RyanAir et al. But I don't know how true that is in reality. How was your experience?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Awesome. We didn't have enough time to make it to the Black Sea, so we'll have to save that for another time.

The area seems to have developed a reputation for receiving increasing numbers of loud and obnoxious tourists from England thanks to RyanAir et al. But I don't know how true that is in reality. How was your experience?
That's DEFINITELY the case in Sunny Beach. And a little bit in Varna. There were SO MANY chavvers and hen parties and stag parties in Sunny Beach that some of the nicer places had signs saying 'No Stag or Hen Parties.'

But Sozopol tourists seemed to mostly be Bulgarian. And, as I say, far more laid back.

Maybe that's why it seemed more laid back.
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
That's DEFINITELY the case in Sunny Beach. And a little bit in Varna. There were SO MANY chavvers and hen parties and stag parties in Sunny Beach that some of the nicer places had signs saying 'No Stag or Hen Parties.'

But Sozopol tourists seemed to mostly be Bulgarian. And, as I say, far more laid back.

Maybe that's why it seemed more laid back.
Ah ok good to know! Sozopol it is then!

Also I had to look up 'chavvers' lol, thanks for expanding my vocabulary
kokonutz and SJWarrior like this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Never been to Bulgaria. However after reading this thread, I am seriously considering going. I have been to Romania twice and hopefully the food is similar.
kokonutz likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgmsteven
Never been to Bulgaria. However after reading this thread, I am seriously considering going. I have been to Romania twice and hopefully the food is similar.
We do keto, so the food here in Bulgaria has been perfect! Lots of pork, chicken and beef filets, shish cooked on metal rods, cheese and egg in clay pot.

Got around to writing up Burgas, Bulgaria this weekend.

It's a really interesting town because it's party Black Sea beach town and partly typical small European City.

Sea Garden Park and the beach beyond are gorgeous by day...and the pedestrian only area in the town is just as nice if totally different by night. A lovely park and beach. And a vibrant city life.

Another big advantage is that it has an airport with flights from Sofia and other European cities.

Our time in Burgas was split between beach culture and city culture.

So it wasn't all about the lazy beach like in Sozopol nor the nightlife life in Sunny Beach.

Some would say it does a little of all things. But if you really just want the beach or you really just want the city then you probably ought to do Sozopol or Sunny Beach for the beach or Sofia for the city.

https://readyjetroam.com/2019/07/22/...rgas-bulgaria/

Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:42 pm

Per OP's original question, I came across this:

https://www.justtheflight.co.uk/fun-stuff/tap-water/

There really is an anti tap water propaganda war going on! But seriously I've drank tap water in MANY of the red colors on that map, and not dead yet! Maybe my stomach has just developed an iron layer due to my recklessness?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:14 pm

@mgmsteven - Definitely go if you get the opportunity. Plovdiv and Ruse were two of my favorite cities. I just hope you like cabbage and garlic because you're going to see a lot of it! Seriously though, the food was pretty good all throughout. We had a really good vacation there last year.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Hi folks!

Just published Nessebar and did Sunny Beach last week.

SUNNY BEACH
Sunny Beach has a well-earned reputation as one of Europe’s summer party capitals. That's because it is one of Europe's summer party capitals.

But there is also, well, a sunny beach!

Sunny Beach is what it says: an endless sandy beach.

The raucous nightlife is certainly there.

But so are are a water park and amusement park, long leisurely days of perfect summer weather on the beach or by the pool and some affordable upscale restaurants.

The fact is that Sunny Beach Bulgaria was specifically built (and named!) as a modern tourist holiday town.

It’s not pretending to be anything else!

Anyone who goes to Las Vegas expecting a sleepy desert town is going to be disappointed. Anyone who goes to Sunny Beach expecting a relaxed beach atmosphere like Sozopol Bulgaria will be similarly disappointed.

Sunny Beach is a fun, vibrant, sunny and yes – at times – over the top hedonistic beach town full of too-drunk Brits stumbling about. But that’s part of its charm!

So embrace Sunny Beach for what it is and you’ll find your share of sun and fun!

NESSEBAR
Nessebar is just south of Sunny Beach and is easily reached from Sunny Beach by public bus.

Nessebar Bulgaria is both a town and an outdoor museum.

Old town Nessebar bears evidence of occupation by a variety of different civilizations over the course of its existence.

Ruins from 4 major empires exist in this small former island/now peninsula.

The city’s abundance of historic buildings led UNESCO to include Nesebar in its list of World Heritage Sites in 1983.

Depending on how fast or slowly you want to tour, you can see most of what Nessebar has to offer in a couple hours or an entire day.

More on Sunny Beach: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/07/29/...avel-vacation/
More on Nessebar: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/08/04/...ebar-bulgaria/

Disclosure: Those links are to articles I wrote on a website in which I have a financial interest.

Once I have Varna done I'll have a complete guide to Bulgarian Black Sea Beach Towns.

Then I'm working on content for Plovdiv and then summer in Bansko. With a feature on the train ride between Varna and Plovdiv squeezed in. Oh, and of course an article on eating a keto diet in Bulgaria (spoiler: it's EASY! Both Shopska salad AND cheese is keto and so are shish and sache!)

Last edited by kokonutz; Aug 4, 2019 at 2:32 pm
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Per OP's original question, I came across this:

https://www.justtheflight.co.uk/fun-stuff/tap-water/

There really is an anti tap water propaganda war going on! But seriously I've drank tap water in MANY of the red colors on that map, and not dead yet! Maybe my stomach has just developed an iron layer due to my recklessness?
I confess to being a little paranoid about tap water, but that map is NUTS!

I've been drinking tap water in Jamaica since I was a kid....
Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Since this is an open travel thread now.... I’m going in less than a month for a quick 3 day trip (extended MR) A couple questions, how long to clear customs at Sofia (in and out, US passport) and is plevin worth the day trip? I’ve rented a car out of habit so transportation is not an issue.

and what else must I see? Thanks to all
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJWarrior
Since this is an open travel thread now.... I’m going in less than a month for a quick 3 day trip (extended MR) A couple questions, how long to clear customs at Sofia (in and out, US passport) and is plevin worth the day trip? I’ve rented a car out of habit so transportation is not an issue.

and what else must I see? Thanks to all

We have US passports and immigration at Sofia was unremarkable. Bulgaria is not Schengen so it's an extra stamp if you are coming from the EU on anything but a connection.

I think renting a car in Sofia is a good idea if you intend to do day trips. We've taken the bus and train here and it's fine but not ideal for day trips. Rila Monastery is a top day trip out of Sofia. And I would consider Plovdiv and time it around the free walking tour that takes place at 11am and 6pm. https://www.facebook.com/FreePlovdivTour/

If you want to get really aggressive you can even do a day trip to the beach town of Kavala, Greece (and get land crossing passport stamps!). But at 4 hours that's more of an overnight trip than day trip.

But there's plenty to see and do in Sofia, too. There are at least a couple free walking tours...one for sightseeing as well as a free restaurant walking tour. We made up our own walking tour there and it was great: https://readyjetroam.com/2019/07/10/...ia-for-3-days/
Disclosure: that link is to an article I wrote on a website that I have a financial interest in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.