FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   ATH (Athens airport) Germanos store (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1896589-ath-athens-airport-germanos-store.html)

gaume Mar 2, 2018 9:37 am

ATH (Athens airport) Germanos store

Hi. Is there still a Germanos electronics store in the domestic departure terminal? In May, I will be traveling to the smaller Cyclades islands and would like to buy a prepaid cell phone. I have a locked iPhone and even though AT&T says that there is access in Greece.....I'd rather be sure with a local prepaid phone.

KLouis Mar 2, 2018 7:45 pm

I don't remember whether Germanos is still at ATH, but there is certainly a "Public Connect" store that does sell electronics. It's located in the middle of the B area.

gaume Mar 3, 2018 12:03 pm

Thank you!

al3x1k0 Mar 14, 2018 7:43 am

I don't believe there's a reason to get a local sim for coverage reasons. You will be connected in one of the 3 major networks here (Cosmote, WIND, Vodafone) and you'll be fine. The only reason I'd get one is if they charge you an arm and a leg for your roaming usage.

dulciusexasperis Mar 15, 2018 10:12 am

Not to put too fine point on it al3x1k0, but not everyone has contract phones with roaming to begin with. I use a 'smartphone' as an actual phone only. I know that may be a startling statement to some people but it's true. I use a prepaid phone only and it costs me $100 CAD per year. That's it, $100 per year, not per month.

So if I wanted to have a cellphone when travelling (which I never do), then buying a local pre-paid sim card would make sense to me. When I am in Greece, I actually just buy a 'pre-paid phone card' which I then use in the local public telephones to make any call I need to make. I've used cards on many trips to Greece with no problem making local or international calls.

Here is a good description of the options gaume. PRE-PAID CALLING CARDS-Pre Paid Calling Cards

al3x1k0 Mar 15, 2018 1:34 pm

I wasn't taking into account your specific case. Feel free to ask me anything you want I'm Greek and I can help you select network and package.

gaume Mar 16, 2018 3:26 pm

Thank you al3x1k0 and also dulciusexasperis for the excellent information, I have researched that my USA carrier (ATT) uses the Vodaphone network in Greece, so for calls it seems I can buy that plan from ATT.

It's the data plan that is my main concern as unfortunately I have to also work during my 2 week vacation on the Aegean islands. I have found an offering for an Unlimited 4G Pocket MiFi Internet service at Euros 10/day.

al3x1k0 Mar 17, 2018 7:06 am

You'll probably be just fine with Vodafone for your voice calls. For the mifi part I believe you're referring to one of those global mifi services. My biggest concern is that there's probably a 500mb/day cap. If you prefer to buy a local sim card I'll be more than happy to give you suggestions.

SFO777 Mar 17, 2018 7:20 am

Originally Posted by gaume (Post 29533431)
Thank you al3x1k0 and also dulciusexasperis for the excellent information, I have researched that my USA carrier (ATT) uses the Vodaphone network in Greece, so for calls it seems I can buy that plan from ATT.
It's the data plan that is my main concern as unfortunately I have to also work during my 2 week vacation on the Aegean islands. I have found an offering for an Unlimited 4G Pocket MiFi Internet service at Euros 10/day.

For $10 a day, the International Day Pass can get extend your full domestic AT&T plan (voice, text and data) to cover many countries including Greece.
https://www.att.com/offers/internati.../day-pass.html

dulciusexasperis Mar 17, 2018 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by gaume (Post 29533431)

LOL, I'd change jobs if I had to work during a vacation. Either it is a vacation or it isn't. But perhaps you are self-employed and find it difficult to 'un-plug' from work when on vacation.