Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

ATH (Athens airport) Germanos store

Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1MM*G, 1K

Hi. Is there still a Germanos electronics store in the domestic departure terminal? In May, I will be traveling to the smaller Cyclades islands and would like to buy a prepaid cell phone. I have a locked iPhone and even though AT&T says that there is access in Greece.....I'd rather be sure with a local prepaid phone.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:45 pm

I don't remember whether Germanos is still at ATH, but there is certainly a "Public Connect" store that does sell electronics. It's located in the middle of the B area.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: Affinity euros, Yellows, Epistrofi
I don't believe there's a reason to get a local sim for coverage reasons. You will be connected in one of the 3 major networks here (Cosmote, WIND, Vodafone) and you'll be fine. The only reason I'd get one is if they charge you an arm and a leg for your roaming usage.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended

Not to put too fine point on it al3x1k0, but not everyone has contract phones with roaming to begin with. I use a 'smartphone' as an actual phone only. I know that may be a startling statement to some people but it's true. I use a prepaid phone only and it costs me $100 CAD per year. That's it, $100 per year, not per month.

So if I wanted to have a cellphone when travelling (which I never do), then buying a local pre-paid sim card would make sense to me. When I am in Greece, I actually just buy a 'pre-paid phone card' which I then use in the local public telephones to make any call I need to make. I've used cards on many trips to Greece with no problem making local or international calls.

Here is a good description of the options gaume. PRE-PAID CALLING CARDS-Pre Paid Calling Cards
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:34 pm

I wasn't taking into account your specific case. Feel free to ask me anything you want I'm Greek and I can help you select network and package.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Thank you al3x1k0 and also dulciusexasperis for the excellent information, I have researched that my USA carrier (ATT) uses the Vodaphone network in Greece, so for calls it seems I can buy that plan from ATT.

It's the data plan that is my main concern as unfortunately I have to also work during my 2 week vacation on the Aegean islands. I have found an offering for an Unlimited 4G Pocket MiFi Internet service at Euros 10/day.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:06 am

You'll probably be just fine with Vodafone for your voice calls. For the mifi part I believe you're referring to one of those global mifi services. My biggest concern is that there's probably a 500mb/day cap. If you prefer to buy a local sim card I'll be more than happy to give you suggestions.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gaume
Thank you al3x1k0 and also dulciusexasperis for the excellent information, I have researched that my USA carrier (ATT) uses the Vodaphone network in Greece, so for calls it seems I can buy that plan from ATT.
It's the data plan that is my main concern as unfortunately I have to also work during my 2 week vacation on the Aegean islands. I have found an offering for an Unlimited 4G Pocket MiFi Internet service at Euros 10/day.
For $10 a day, the International Day Pass can get extend your full domestic AT&T plan (voice, text and data) to cover many countries including Greece.
https://www.att.com/offers/internati.../day-pass.html
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gaume

LOL, I'd change jobs if I had to work during a vacation. Either it is a vacation or it isn't. But perhaps you are self-employed and find it difficult to 'un-plug' from work when on vacation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.