Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taxi's at Bucharest (OTP)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Taxi's at Bucharest (OTP)

I was hoping that someone here could shed some light on the latest situtation at OTP. I read some threads from about a year ago that things were pretty simple there with some taxi ordering machines. Linked in that thread I found a guide that just put out this article a few days ago.

http://www.bucharestlife.net/tag/bucharest-taxis/
Otopeni Airport is a national embarrassment

Since April 1st of this year it has become very difficult (at times impossible) to easily find a cheap, trustworthy taxi at Bucharest’s Otopeni Henri Coanda Airport.
Anyway I had just planned on grabbing a taxi at the airport to head to the Hilton. However reading this I'm not sure if I should start looking more closely at the bus schedules. Does anyone here have any idea how things are as of late? From the advice in the article it seems like heading to departures is my best bet. I would appreciate anyone's insight on how things are there now.

Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
To your left and right when entering the arrivals hall are taxi ordering machines, where you can select one of the taxi companies. Make sure you order a taxi for the normal price of 1,39 lei/km (prices are mentioned - also Meridian taxi at 1,40 lei/km is fine). You will get a receipt stating the license plate of your taxi and approximate arrival time the car will shoe up on the road in front of arrivals (normally within 5 minutes).

Four points to clarify:

- at busy hours, it can be that while selecting an operator from the machine gives an error there being no taxis available. If this happens, just try again! A few days back it just took me one minute. The article only describes situations when there are multiple flights arriving at the same time which corresponds with busy taxi hours (rush hour, around midnight). In that unlikely case, perhaps waiting time can be up to 20 mins to order a taxi from the machines. If seeing the queues are huge and not moving, and you are not patient enough, take the 783 bus instead a floor down from arrivals.

- Make sure you have change with you (don't board a taxi with banknotes of only 50 lei or higher, preferably have notes of 1, 5 and 10). Even if you speak fluent Romanian, a driver might suddenly not have 15 lei change back to a 50-note for a 35-lei airport ride, and causing a small stand-off! (They all have change, but there are some idiots trying everything to "earn" a bit more). If you only have big banknotes, one floor down from arrivals is a supermarket, so perhaps buy a water or ask to change.

- A ride to the Hilton is about 30 lei, perhaps even a bit less.

- Never go in a random taxi waiting at arrivals. Only use the machines!

When taking these precautions, 95% of taxi rides are pleasant. Unfortunately a few % of drivers are ruining it for the rest and give the taxis in the city a bad reputation - both for foreignerd and Romanians alike.

Last edited by Romanianflyer; Jun 2, 2016 at 3:15 pm
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:14 pm

I can't offer any ideas, as I've never been to Rumania (in that sense, my post is completely off-topic) , but the thread reminded me of the situation in the old ATH airport (i.e. pre-2001). That airport had two terminals the West one (Olympic) and the East one (all other airlines). To get from one to the other, one had to take a taxi as there was only a city bus connecting the two buildings that were about 5-6 km away from each other, which run once an hour or so, without space for luggage. West to East was always fine, while the chances of getting an honest cabbie in the East to West direction were very low. From a taxi driver whom I knew since I was a child, I had been told that honest colleagues were avoiding the East terminal too, as this was "run" by the so called taxi mafia who were experts in over-charging, stealing, etc., both Greeks and foreigners alike.

The police could (or would?) do nothing, and the situation was completely resolved when the new airport was opened 15 years ago.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 12:49 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
The Hilton has a very good airport transfer service.
It leaves once an hour.
10 €.
You have to book beforehand.
It's called a shuttle but the times I have used it (twice to hotel and twice to airport) I have been the only person on it and they have just used a car.
The cars were all very nice and once I got a super fancy car.

Last edited by helosc; Jun 3, 2016 at 7:50 am
Old Jun 3, 2016, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by helosc
The Hilton has a very good airport transfer service.
It's leaves once an hour.
10 €.
You have to book beforehand.
It's called a shuttle but the times I have used it (twice to hotel and twice to airport) I have been the only person on it and they have just used a car.
The cars were all very nice and once I got a super fancy car.
I second this for direct routes to the Hilton. 40 RON each way is not much more than the taxi.

Other options include Bus 783 to Piata Romana, then a less than 1 KM walk to the hotel. It was 7 RON last time I used it (less than $2). The bus ticket window is right outside arrivals, turn right and walk on down to it. I think the bus stops right in front of that ticket window also.

Uber is in Bucharest, but I have not used it yet.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
At 40 RON, the Hilton shuttle would indeed only be 15 RON or so more than a normal taxi (3 euro), so that might be an option indeed.

If taking the 783 bus is an option indeed as well. Buy your ticket at the kiosk outside one floor down from arrivals next to the bus stop. It will cost you 8,6 lei - and it's only valid on the "express" bus lines 783/780. You autonatically get two rides for it, so save it for your return journey, or before checking in on your bus, press the right button for two rides if you travel with someone else.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Wow thanks everyone for the information. It also amazes me how almost any question I have on here gets answered with more information then I would have ever hoped to find on my own.

I just reached out to the hotel I didn't even consider their shuttle service, since I figured it would be way more then a taxi. The extra 6 Euros to work with them won't break the budget, and would certainly be cheaper then getting hit by a tout. If they don't come through in time I feel confident enough with the excellent information provided that it won't be some crazy 2 hour wait for the machines as that article implied.

Thanks again everyone ^
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:49 am

If they don't reply quickly enough, you can PM me.
I have an email address for the concierge desk (the one they replied from when I last booked the shuttle).
Old Jun 3, 2016, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks helosc I just dialed them up from work much easier. They got me all sorted, so I should have someone waiting for me at arrivals.

If not I now feel armed with enough info to handle the taxi situation.

Hopefully this thread helps some others out.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I was lucky with the Hilton - booked the shuttle bus, got the BMW

Now I booked a transfer at Transvision, 18€ from the airport to the Sheraton. Seems reasonable for a meet & greet.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Just to follow up on my experience with the Hilton Transfer. Driver was there in arrivals a few minutes after I arrived. I guess in fairness since I was sitting in row 2 and didn't check any bags I was through the arrivals process very quickly. Car was a nice enough VW van.

This morning I had a nice diesel Mercedes with a very friendly driver. Both times I was the only passenger.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:38 am

Good it all went well.
Hope you enjoyed the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.