FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Security situation in Brussels and Belgium? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1725765-security-situation-brussels-belgium.html)

GetawaysRus Nov 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Security situation in Brussels and Belgium?

I have a Brussels stay (at the Hilton Grand Place, near Central Station) planned for late May 2016. After the horrible news of the terrorist plot in Paris hit the news, now we are learning that many of the Paris terrorists had ties to Brussels. And we learned that the Molenbeek neighborhood in Brussels is potentially a dangerous one.

Looking at a map, Molenbeek is quite close to Brussels Center, just on the other side of the canal. Our plan was to spend a few days in Brussels Center, and then to take a few day trips by train to some other Belgian cities. But the recent news has my wife pretty spooked about visiting Brussels.

Can anyone who has visited Brussels and Belgium recently comment about the security situation there?

KLouis Nov 19, 2015 7:51 pm

My guess is that anybody answering your question on security will base his/her answers on whatever (s)will have read in papers/internet or seen on TV. Real experts would not offer any expert opinion on a forum such as FT. Here's therefore my own, not-trustworthy opinion.

If you base your decision on actual statistics calculating the possibility of you're being involved in a new attack, no problem with respect to terrorism (although calculating the real stats would be close to impossible), even if you decided to spend your entire vacation in Moellenbeck (how close is close?). If you base your opinion on the actual shock that most of us got when they heard of the tragic events and the life lost, well, I'd understand you stayed home.

The bottom line is that life goes on, one way or another. Personally, I'd go, but as I said above, don't trust what I write.

UAPremExecflyer Nov 20, 2015 6:31 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus (Post 25741977)
And we learned that the Molenbeek neighborhood in Brussels is potentially a dangerous one.

Looking at a map, Molenbeek is quite close to Brussels Center, just on the other side of the canal.

Can anyone who has visited Brussels and Belgium recently comment about the security situation there?

Where did you "learn" that Molenbeek is "dangerous"? :confused:
Completely erroneous and rubbish.
Molenbeek is NOT dangerous. Yes, some Islamist extremists lived there for a time and/or used it as a base. I've had a couple of colleagues in Brussels and Molenbeek for the last few days and they traveled and walked freely.
Molenbeek is a quite a large area ... yes it is close enough to the center of Brussels. So many other cities - including in the US - have centers or downtowns with plenty of far sketchier areas than Molenbeek.
I suggest you take a deep breath and not worry about Brussels until March or April.

Romanianflyer Nov 20, 2015 8:49 am

East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet.. counts too for Brussels ;)

Yes Molenbeek has its shares of problems, and the moniker of the jihadi capital of Europe, while sensationalist, has a bit of truth in it.

BUT - as said above, the dodgy areas are only a tiny part of Molenbeek. Most of it isn't dangerous at all. And anyway, you won't even come close there as a tourist! Overall, the ciy centre of Brussels isn't more unsafe as other European big cities.

And in general on terrorism: it's an unfortunate reality that they can strike anywhere. The attacks in Paris are certainly not a novelty. London, Madrid, Paris before, Toulouse, and yes Brussels (Jewish museum) had their share. Nothing new, nothing changed. If you traveled without worries five years ago, there is no reason why to worry now.

Besides, the fact that terrorists live in a certain city, never was a full indicator where they would strike. Some of these maniacs lived in Molenbeek, yet struck in Paris. Some of the 9/11 terrorists lived in Hamburg, yet struck in NY. Would you reconsider not going to Hamburg because of this?

I do really understand the worries, it's a human reaction to recent events after all. But Paris didn't suddenly alter the situation and safety in Europe. And changing travel plans or daily life because of it, only plays in the hands of terrorist.

So while the Parisiens even though shocked still hit their brasseries again for their glass of wine, not wanting to change their lifestyle, I recommend doing likewise in Brussels with a good glass of tripel or gueuze and some frites moules.

AlicorporateUK Nov 20, 2015 9:16 am

But the recent news has my wife pretty spooked about visiting Brussels.

Tell your wife that there's no point in getting spooked about visiting Brussels or any other place for that purpose: if I'd start start worrying of where the next attack could strike, then I would basically have to lock myself in and do on-line shopping tonight as terrorists might be targeting my local Tesco... Remember, also, that there are rough areas in every city and that a bonehead wanting to blow himself up could rent a flat in the most posh district of any city...

Relax.

G

malmostoso Nov 20, 2015 10:11 am

The good news is that there is not much worth going to the other side of the canal for. Molenbeek is many things, but it's not a tourist destination, and I'd say that the only thing worth going to Molenbeek for is the Brasserie De La Senne.

Brussels tends to have a heavier than usual police and military presence because of the EU institutions, so don't be alarmed by this. All the nice things are in the eastern part of town anyway, so you won't even come close to the canal. Be careful if you will transit through South station (Gare du Midi), as it's known to have a lot of pickpockets, but other than that Brussels is just fine.

GetawaysRus Nov 20, 2015 10:42 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer (Post 25744976)
Where did you "learn" that Molenbeek is "dangerous"? :confused:

I've read several recent articles in a variety of publications.

Here's one, as an example:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...acks/75914362/

Romanianflyer Nov 20, 2015 11:01 am

Watch this video for a recent, more honest view on Molenbeek than just the terror-scares only. A talk with people from the area and a walk around:

http://m.newsy.com/videos/inside-molenbeek-is-this-really-europe-s-jihad-capital/

David-A Nov 20, 2015 11:53 am

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 25743242)
Real experts would not offer any expert opinion on a forum such as FT.

Disagree. I'd never speculate about how informed, experienced and also realistic (in the realist sense) the breadth of contribution is.

----

I would NOT call myself a Brussels expert, but I have been there a number of times in various situations.

My main response to the OP is: Please just stop and think what you are really asking.

This is highly civilized city centre in western europe we are talking about. Home to 100k+.
I know you asked about proximity to an area, so sorry if this comes across as blunt: You are still talking about a modern city.

This is a highly irregular event that we are reflecting on here. It is the kind of thing you could always get in ANY city worldwide, and have always been able to get in any city worldwide - since we first began living in cities.

This is not a country where civil war is breaking out or there is widespread lawlessness. Everything I said above holds true and will hold true in May 2016 (the time frame you talked about). It will still be a highly civilized western European city in a civilized country, home to 100k+, living normal city lives.

If you had asked about whether it is sensible to go into a city that has just had a serious incident (i.e. in the immediate hours, or at a push days, afterwards) that would be a different question.
- in the immediate hours after any incident worldwide I'd be concerned about simply getting in the way of people and the immediate disruption while things are sorted out.
- in the days after any really serious incident I could be concerned about whether it had returned to normal yet, or if things I wanted to do may still be closed or otherwise disrupted.

However again this is a city we are talking about, by reasons of virtual necessity, things simply go back to normal quite fast in cities.
Sorry if that comes across as heartless. Of course people remember and think about things.

Quite simply nobody can tell you whether a specific date in May 2016 may be the day something bad happens - no more than I can tell you what the winning lottery numbers will be on that day.
However in both cases, the chances are really, REALLY slim.

If you are prepared to drive (or be driven in a car) in your own home town that you know like the back of your hand I'm sure you are putting yourselves at far, far more danger each and everyday. (By a serious factor).

So again, this is not civil war, it is a normal city. If you are prepared to drive a car, you are far safer coming. If you think its too dangers, then buy a lottery ticket for the biggest lottery you can find, as its the same kind of odds.

dimramon Nov 20, 2015 1:01 pm

I have a Brussels stay (at the Hilton Grand Place, near Central Station) planned for late May 2016. After the horrible news of the terrorist plot in Paris hit the news, now we are learning that many of the Paris terrorists had ties to Brussels. And we learned that the Molenbeek neighborhood in Brussels is potentially a dangerous one.

Looking at a map, Molenbeek is quite close to Brussels Center, just on the other side of the canal. Our plan was to spend a few days in Brussels Center, and then to take a few day trips by train to some other Belgian cities. But the recent news has my wife pretty spooked about visiting Brussels.

Irrational thoughts.. maybe you are watching the wrong TV station :)

While it looks "near" on a map, Belgians think differently about distances. The center of Molenbeek is about 2 km from the Grote Markt, and that might be considered "far", it's a different city after all.

I see you live in SoCal. Suppose you live in San Diego... Are you afraid to go outside because there's gangs in LA? Same difference.

The only thing I would watch out for in Brussels are pick pockets, operating in train stations and other locations.

Enjoy your trip, there's no reason why you shouldn't.

Romanianflyer Nov 20, 2015 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by David-A (Post 25746601)
If you are prepared to drive (or be driven in a car) in your own home town that you know like the back of your hand I'm sure you are putting yourselves at far, far more danger each and everyday. (By a serious factor).

It reminds me of a statistic on the Iraq war. A California soldier was more likely to die in a car accident back home in CA than in duty in Iraq if taken over a period of a year.

Of course, statistics are different than human perception. Nobody thinks about dangers when hitting a CA highway, while it would ring your mind on a night patrol in Mosul. In the end it's the same as fear of flying: theoretically there is no reason for - but unfortunately that isn't how the human mind works.

Ber2dca Nov 21, 2015 7:32 am

How ironic that a day after all the concerns were dismissed, Brussels is in security lockdown and hotel guests are staying in their rooms.

I would say terrorism aside, Brussels is a dump like pretty much all cities in Belgium where French is spoken and there's really little reason for anyone to go there who doesn't have to go there for business.

GUWonder Nov 21, 2015 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Ber2dca (Post 25750381)
How ironic that a day after all the concerns were dismissed, Brussels is in security lockdown and hotel guests are staying in their rooms.

The OP is talking about a trip in May 2016 -- that's nearly half a year away.

rwoman Nov 21, 2015 3:15 pm

US Embassy elevates threat level in Belgium

Raised from "high" to "imminent."

http://belgium.usembassy.gov/mobile/..._messages.html

In London this morning, there was signage at the Eurostar gates that the Brussels Metro was not operating.

rwoman Nov 21, 2015 3:26 pm

To add, US EUCOM has announced a 72-hour restriction on travel to Brussels for US DoD personnel and their families.