FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Security situation in Brussels and Belgium? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1725765-security-situation-brussels-belgium.html)

GUWonder Nov 21, 2015 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 25752174)
Raised from "high" to "imminent."

http://belgium.usembassy.gov/mobile/..._messages.html

In London this morning, there was signage at the Eurostar gates that the Brussels Metro was not operating.

One of the guys they are looking for used to work "security" for the transport system in Brussels.

The travel advisories to avoid Brussels for now are largely based on that person and his connections. But locking down the place for 6 months like this? Just not going to happen.

rwoman Nov 21, 2015 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 25752224)
One of the guys they are looking for used to work "security" for the transport system in Brussels.

The travel advisories to avoid Brussels for now are largely based on that person and his connections. But locking down the place for 6 months like this? Just not going to happen.

Yeah, I had not yet delved into the details. Just saw the signage and got a PM from a friend asking if I knew the Brussels metro was shut for security reasons.

Knowing the US DoD, there we ramifications for going against the restriction without permission.

I did upset a colleague when I explained we are currently restricted from France and not just Paris. They complained they'd paid for travel....well...me too.

But I know I'm here at the behest of Uncle Sam and "He" can send me home if I don't want to play by the rules.

You want to go where? Nov 21, 2015 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 25750594)
The OP is talking about a trip in May 2016 -- that's nearly half a year away.

...and this is the real reason why no one can really answer this question with any specificity. Six months, heck, it could be six weeks or six days and I wouldn't know how to answer.

If the OP had asked if he should go to Brussels today or tomorrow, I would have said: Don't go if you don't have to. Not because there is a great risk of being the victim of a terrorist attack, there isn't, even with the city on high alert. However, being stuck in you hotel room with everything shut down isn't much fun. Been there, done that, twice, don't need to do it again.

I have a trip planned for Brussels much sooner. At this point, I still plan to go. Sure, if there is a significant risk of another shutdown, I may change my plans, but I'll make that decision just before I go, not now.

Duke787 Nov 21, 2015 8:47 pm

A related question is if/when carriers may issue waivers. I have flights booked on AA/BA for March - will definitely be monitoring closely and hopefully will be given the flexibility by carriers to actually make a decision on my own.

Didn't buy travel insurance (didn't feel it was necessary for a trip to Europe) and not sure if Citi Premier travel insurance would cover this.

Ideally there won't be a reason to cancel - I really would like to visit Brussels!

UAPremExecflyer Nov 22, 2015 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 25753263)
A related question is if/when carriers may issue waivers. I have flights booked on AA/BA for March - will definitely be monitoring closely and hopefully will be given the flexibility by carriers to actually make a decision on my own.

Didn't buy travel insurance (didn't feel it was necessary for a trip to Europe) and not sure if Citi Premier travel insurance would cover this.

Ideally there won't be a reason to cancel - I really would like to visit Brussels!

You're going to be waiting a long time for a waiver for Brussels, IF one is to materialize, given that your travel is in March. Waivers are put into effect for reasons that impact/have an effect on airport operations. Nothing has happened in Belgium and/or Brussels. Yes, there's lots of security. Yes, the authorities are looking for a number of suspects believed to be planning a new attack(s) and/or involved in the Paris attacks. Yes, the metro is closed - for now. The airport is running. The trams in Brussels are running.

Palal Nov 22, 2015 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus (Post 25746211)
I've read several recent articles in a variety of publications.

Here's one, as an example:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...acks/75914362/

Meh... USA today is not a real newspaper ;)

It also won't tell you that wherever you live in SoCal is probably more dangerous than any area in Brussels :)

richinaz Nov 22, 2015 3:07 pm

My trip is a bit more imminent than the OP although still not for a couple of weeks. My return flight (to the US) starts in Brussels along with a couple of nights of a hotel room (already booked).

Obviously 2-3 weeks can be a long time but if things don't improve quickly I am going to see if the airline would allow me an alternative (maybe from Frankfurt or Munich). Currently I'm on a BRU-LHR-ORD itinerary.

For now I'll play it by ear. Hopefully things will calm down shortly.

dimramon Nov 22, 2015 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by richinaz (Post 25756277)
My trip is a bit more imminent than the OP although still not for a couple of weeks. My return flight (to the US) starts in Brussels along with a couple of nights of a hotel room (already booked).

Obviously 2-3 weeks can be a long time but if things don't improve quickly I am going to see if the airline would allow me an alternative (maybe from Frankfurt or Munich). Currently I'm on a BRU-LHR-ORD itinerary.

For now I'll play it by ear. Hopefully things will calm down shortly.

I think you are overreacting.

Besides, the airport is at a lower "threat level" than Brussels center.

You want to go where? Nov 22, 2015 4:54 pm

BBC is now reporting 16 arrests in Brussels. (No details)

GUWonder Nov 22, 2015 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by dimramon (Post 25756653)
I think you are overreacting.

Besides, the airport is at a lower "threat level" than Brussels center.

Belgian authorities have been telling their own relatives to avoid using the BRU airport as much as the city center and what would otherwise be its crowded areas. That said, I doubt that Belgium will be able to keep this (avoid airport, train stations, schools too) going for 2-3 weeks.

dimramon Nov 22, 2015 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 25756797)
Belgian authorities have been telling their own relatives to avoid using the BRU airport as much as the city center and what would otherwise be its crowded areas. That said, I doubt that Belgium will be able to keep this (avoid airport, train stations, schools too) going for 2-3 weeks.

They are going to re-evaluate in the afternoon (Monday).

The following will be closed on Monday, in Brussels:
metro and pre-metro (trains are running but won't stop in Schuman)
schools,
SELOR (organization that tests people for government jobs),
child care (if it caters to more than 8 children),
banks,
some government organizations (Flemish one is open, Federal one that deals with foreigners will be closed),
US Embassy,
stores, markets and recreational areas.

transportprof Nov 23, 2015 12:31 pm

I'd be interested to hear any firsthand reports of how operations are running at BRU under the current state of emergency. How much, if any, extra time does one need to allow for check-in and security formalities on a trans-Atlantic flight?

kitkatft Nov 24, 2015 6:58 am

I just called the Radisson Blu Brussels because they made the news for being locked down on Sunday with guests allowed in but not allowed out, yet hadn't heard for how long or how widespread such incidents were. (I was starting to imagine a 4-day shut-in to one's hotel.) The front desk told me that this policy only lasted a half hour on Sunday during a specific military operation in the neighborhood, and that otherwise guests have been free to come and go from Brussels hotels. There's not much to do, but no one is missing their flights due to the lockdown. The only restriction on mobility to expect in, out of, & through Brussels right now is the shutdown of the Brussels underground.

transportprof Nov 24, 2015 11:34 am

Originally Posted by kitkatft (Post 25764524)
I just called the Radisson Blu Brussels because they made the news for being locked down on Sunday with guests allowed in but not allowed out, yet hadn't heard for how long or how widespread such incidents were. (I was starting to imagine a 4-day shut-in to one's hotel.) The front desk told me that this policy only lasted a half hour on Sunday during a specific military operation in the neighborhood, and that otherwise guests have been free to come and go from Brussels hotels. There's not much to do, but no one is missing their flights due to the lockdown. The only restriction on mobility to expect in, out of, & through Brussels right now is the shutdown of the Brussels underground.

Sounds like the Hotel California...;)

Thanks for the update.

Concerto Nov 24, 2015 2:15 pm

Is Antwerp affected by any of this, or is it totally free of it? I am going to be rolling into town tomorrow, with a bit of time on hand for lunch and a wander, before heading to the airport for a flight in the evening (with VLM Airlines).