Wiki Posts
Search

What are your favorite restarants in Prague, Vienna and Budapest

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2010, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL
What are your favorite restarants in Prague, Vienna and Budapest

I am heading out next month to Prague, Vienna and Budapest and was wondering there are any can't miss restraunts. My goal is to have a traditional meal in each city but am open to other suggestions!

Thanks!

CM
Old Sep 22, 2010, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Well..I guess this begs the question..is the food even good in these three cities?
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
Yes, you will certainly find some very good food in all 3 cities.

Sorry I can't give you a specific name, but in Vienna you should try to visit a heuriger. We went to one in a suburban part of town and it was lots of fun (due, in part, to lots of wine). In addition to the wine, they also serve many traditional dishes, usually buffet or cafeteria style.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuriger

This place is nothing fancy but a good place for a relatively inexpensive lunch. It's a large cafeteria with a big selection of food, including many traditional Austrian dishes.

www.rosenberger.cc/htm_restaurants/wien.htm (sorry in German only)
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:43 pm

Kolkovna has locations around the city and are in the upper mid range - quite decent Czech food:

http://www.kolkovna.cz

I highly recommend going to Pivovarsky Klub - some of the best beer in Prague. Nakladni Hermelin is quite good here (a traditional appetizer), and the mains are OK but nothing special. Oh and don't go to the second location they have - Pivovarsky Dum, just trust me that this one is much better

http://www.gastroinfo.cz/pivoklub/

If you know where in the city you are staying could probably give some other options as well - these two are both relatively central.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mattarse
Kolkovna has locations around the city and are in the upper mid range - quite decent Czech food:

I highly recommend going to Pivovarsky Klub - some of the best beer in Prague. Nakladni Hermelin is quite good here (a traditional appetizer), and the mains are OK but nothing special. Oh and don't go to the second location they have - Pivovarsky Dum, just trust me that this one is much better

http://www.gastroinfo.cz/pivoklub/

If you know where in the city you are staying could probably give some other options as well - these two are both relatively central.
Thanks for the recommendations. I will be at the Hilton in Prague and I am aware it is a bit out of the way!
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:09 pm

If your at the hilton next to the Florenc Metro stop you're about a 5 minute walk from Pivovarsky Klub.

The other Hilton (Hilton Old town) is quite central so I'm sure that's not the one you are referring to.

And don't worry about the Hilton being a bit out of the way - it's really not.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
At the Vienna DO we eat at Figls and Zehner Marie. Both good places but a little bit outside downtown but easily to reach by subway and bus.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:32 am

In Budapest, try slovak sorozo, located on the North end of the Pest side. Combination slovakian and Hungarian, it's delicious. Just ask the waiter for his recommendations, and you'll be fine. In Vienna, my favorite was Immervoll, a traditional Austrian gastro-haus.

Also, if you're a wine drinker, you'll really enjoy the high quality and low priced wines in Hungary, especially the reds. In Austria, I'd go for the gurner veltliners, which are typically served as house wines there, which is a hoot for anyone who's paid (as I have) $10-12 for a nice glass of GV).
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:51 pm

It's not fancy, but for a traditional Viennese restaurant where not many tourists go, you could try Brezlg'wlb on Ledererhof.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:56 pm

Just returned from Prague and Budapest. The best meal we had by far in either city was at the Artisan Restaurant in Mala Stana area of Prague - international cuisine, non-smoking. www.artisanrestaurant.cz
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by mattarse

+1 to this.. hv been to their restaurant in Namesti republicky multiple times and its very good.. also another restaurant in old town sqr by the name staromestska namesti or something .. its expensive if u choose to sit outside in the open.. if u sit inside and manage to get a seat near the window then its cheaper with similar views and quite good food..
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:00 pm

I think the neighborhood around Namesti Miru has the best variety of reasonably priced restaurants in Prague. Real Indian food that's reasonable...real Mexican food that's reasonable...real Thai food that's reasonable...plus a bunch of Italian places, Czech places, etc.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by adventureadam
I think the neighborhood around Namesti Miru has the best variety of reasonably priced restaurants in Prague. Real Indian food that's reasonable...real Mexican food that's reasonable...real Thai food that's reasonable...plus a bunch of Italian places, Czech places, etc.
+1..
also some decent ones near karlovo namesti..
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:58 am
tyn

Originally Posted by remphish1
Well..I guess this begs the question..is the food even good in these three cities?
It's better than good, it's fantastic ^

My fav in Prague is U Modre Kachniky http://www.umodrekachnicky.cz/en/original/welcome. You have to love winter food and game though.

In Wien I like Ofeloch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.