Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

LHR Etihad Lounge to close 5 October [and to launch ‘The House’]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Etihad Lounge to close 5 October [and to launch ‘The House’]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by flying_fozzy

I don’t think that they really take redeemers into account when making these calls?? If EY can’t make it work running A380s from LHR, where 85-90% of the passengers are connecting onwards and they can’t make any money running a lounge?! Well, EY has much bigger things to worry about than people spending AA miles with old Al Snackbar’s Qatari airline.
I'm sure they are not bothered if I spent my F flights worth of points elsewhere, by the time I'm ready to redeem there won't even be EY around anymore to fly on anyway.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: OWE, *A-G, EY Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tilly71
I'm sure they are not bothered if I spent my F flights worth of points elsewhere, by the time I'm ready to redeem there won't even be EY around anymore to fly on anyway.
sadly, it’s very true.

i think a more realistic expectation is that they will not wish to lose face, so the airline will be cut back down to something the size of rotana jet, but at least they still have a global airline! Serving the world from our capital city, Abu Dhabi. Because, well... it’s just like the US. Washington is the capital but it doesn’t mean everyone wants to go there?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
sadly, it’s very true.
i think a more realistic expectation is that they will not wish to lose face, so the airline will be cut back down to something the size of rotana jet, but at least they still have a global airline! Serving the world from our capital city, Abu Dhabi. Because, well... it’s just like the US. Washington is the capital but it doesn’t mean everyone wants to go there?
But then what to do with the white elephant midfield terminal ?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:10 am

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/1...-lounges-week/

Confirmed by Rob at Headforpoints.

When you can't even keep running your LHR lounge, something is going seriously wrong. Wondering how long the airline is actually going to survive...
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:08 am

As Rob points out, this could (and likely will) spiral very quickly down for EY when the few return premium passengers have had enough and move to EK or QR.
I wonder what will happen when the lounge is running at full tilt and there’s nowhere for Residence or F guests to sit.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:24 am

As Rob points out, this could (and likely will) spiral very quickly down for EY when the few return premium passengers have had enough and move to EK or QR.
I wonder what will happen when the lounge is running at full tilt and there’s nowhere for Residence or F guests to sit.
Saw an interesting view in the comments section; there's no need for a T4 lounge if they do all of their operations out of another terminal in the near future.... #merger??
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:38 am

Just an update on this: Etihad has confirmed to us that post-No1 the lounge will be rebranded as 'The House – Home of Etihad Airways and Other Leading Airlines' and that other EY lounges apart from Abu Dhabi will follow suit and be handed over to third-party operators.

"Etihad Airways recently initiated a process of sourcing a reputable vendor to manage the airline’s lounge offering at key locations outside Abu Dhabi, starting with London Heathrow," a spokesman for the airline says.

More at https://www.ausbt.com.au/etihad-is-c...t-class-lounge
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:45 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by djsflynn
Just an update on this: Etihad has confirmed to us that post-No1 the lounge will be rebranded as 'The House – Home of Etihad Airways and Other Leading Airlines' and that other EY lounges apart from Abu Dhabi will follow suit and be handed over to third-party operators.

"Etihad Airways recently initiated a process of sourcing a reputable vendor to manage the airline’s lounge offering at key locations outside Abu Dhabi, starting with London Heathrow," a spokesman for the airline says.

Many thanks for the update, albeit yet another bizarre twist
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:52 am

I'm wondering if The House will become EY's out-station partnered lounge brand...
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: etihad guest
And now CDG one is on the list and might close at the end of the year really bad news.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR

Starting with Manchester, although potentially that doesn't count as 'key' :-)
djsflynn likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:51 pm

what crap! That’s $h!t dressed as a chefs salad. Just another way of making it seem like an enhancement.

Etihad, sort yourselfs out. If you don’t want to do premium, don’t do it. Stop fart arsing around like you can’t decide either way. If you need to trim the fat, start taking a merit based approach to you ENTIRE workforce.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:10 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
EY's lamentable approach is so short-term it's almost comical. "Lets hack at everything that touches the customer experience". Never mind the huge rump of fat that sits behind the customer experience.
Talk about industry & public humiliation. Breathtaking in its naivety
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2018/10/02/no1-lounges-to-manage-etihad-lounge-at-heathrow-t4/
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:37 pm

Looks like EY will be progressively giving up all of its worldwide lounges. Fun times!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.