Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Why is LHR so awful with operational upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum

Ex AUH all it takes usually is to ask.

LHR even when there are seats clearly unfilled, they are downright uncooperative.

My experience at other Etihad outststions has generally been reasonable (NRT SIN HKT JNB DEL BKK HKG) but does anyone know why they are just so downright uncooperative in LHR?

And I know for a fact that ex AUH most agents will upgrade a Gold or Platinum just because they asked. Etihad, London is in a different country, sure, but you are the same airline flying the same plane, please sort the consistency.

Last edited by akalra1187; Sep 17, 2018 at 7:39 am
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum
Originally Posted by akalra1187
Ex AUH all it takes usually is to ask.

LHR even when there are seats clearly unfilled, they are downright uncooperative.

My experience at other Etihad outststions has generally been reasonable (NRT SIN HKT JNB DEL BKK HKG) but does anyone know why they are just so downright uncooperative in LHR?

And I know for a fact that ex AUH most agents will upgrade a Gold or Platinum just because they asked. Etihad London is a different country, sure but you are the same airline flying the same plane, please sort the consistency.
Be careful what you wish for... Etihad will read this and stop ALL upgrades to be consistent with LHR
akalra1187 and danial21 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The purpose of OPUP's is not to fill empty seats with freeloaders, but rather for the operational necessity of the carrier. Generally that exists when a lower cabin is overbooked and at risk of oversale or when a seat goes INOP or somesuch. Better to upgrade a passenger into an empty premium cabin seat than to deny boarding.

If handing out freebies becomes rampant, you will find yourself wishing for US domestic flights where UA & DL provide unlimited freebie UG's to all elites and AA does so for its top level elites. The cheaper and easier an UG is, the fewer people will pay for it. Why should they?
NoY, Yoshi212, reigndrop and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The purpose of OPUP's is not to fill empty seats with freeloaders, but rather for the operational necessity of the carrier. Generally that exists when a lower cabin is overbooked and at risk of oversale or when a seat goes INOP or somesuch. Better to upgrade a passenger into an empty premium cabin seat than to deny boarding.

If handing out freebies becomes rampant, you will find yourself wishing for US domestic flights where UA & DL provide unlimited freebie UG's to all elites and AA does so for its top level elites. The cheaper and easier an UG is, the fewer people will pay for it. Why should they?

Although this is how many airlines work, this is not how Etihad work, and I know from plenty of experience.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Are you saying that all Ehtiad Gold holders need to do is ‘ask’ to be upgraded from economy to business? Does anyone in Abu Dhabi actually buy business class tickets?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are you saying that all Ehtiad Gold holders need to do is ‘ask’ to be upgraded from economy to business? Does anyone in Abu Dhabi actually buy business class tickets?
It doesn’t work with every agent, but try it, it does work when you get the ‘right’ agent.
Better not to be sceptical unless you’ve tried.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Oh and it’s usually a yes from J-F, Y-J not so much.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:11 pm

IT'S NOT FAIR, THEY ONLY GIVE ME THE SEAT THAT I PAID FOR!!!1!!

---

I, like everyone, love an operation upgrade. However, complaining that they don't give them out because you ask? Brilliant.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Just to add to previous comments , Etihad work on a load factor . They sell tickets even if the flight is full because of the hope of no-shows .Several flights ( non EU ) are heaverly overbooked , so upgrades are quite frequent , especially during busy times of the year ( as said by me before ). Etihad cut the service to BKK during Ramadan ( because Muslims don't fly ) , I am almost certain I get an upgrade and usually early in the year , January , February as well ......However , regarding exiting the EU certain rules apply where airlines are not allowed to over sell seats , so upgrades existing the EU are very rare ( I've had 2 in 9 years ) the last one being 2014 .....So I don't think the staff at LHR are to blame for this ......in fact , before this stupid charging for seats came into effect , they were most helpful blocking seats next to me , so generally I had at least 3 seats to myself in Y , all the way through to BKK , unfortunately with all the cutbacks , this is no longer an option
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: EY Platinum
I've asked plenty of times ex-AUH, even on full price flexible tickets. Been upgraded 3 or 4 times in eight years and those were all op-ups.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tommy123
Just to add to previous comments , Etihad work on a load factor . They sell tickets even if the flight is full because of the hope of no-shows .Several flights ( non EU ) are heaverly overbooked , so upgrades are quite frequent , especially during busy times of the year ( as said by me before ). Etihad cut the service to BKK during Ramadan ( because Muslims don't fly ) , I am almost certain I get an upgrade and usually early in the year , January , February as well ......However , regarding exiting the EU certain rules apply where airlines are not allowed to over sell seats , so upgrades existing the EU are very rare ( I've had 2 in 9 years ) the last one being 2014 .....So I don't think the staff at LHR are to blame for this ......in fact , before this stupid charging for seats came into effect , they were most helpful blocking seats next to me , so generally I had at least 3 seats to myself in Y , all the way through to BKK , unfortunately with all the cutbacks , this is no longer an option
Although this would explain the situation and seems to make sense. I actually severely doubt that Etihad only provide upgrades in oversell situation.
Being booked in J on a AUH-LHR flight, I had a check in the J cabin after being upgraded to F, the J cabin was 60% empty. The same thing happened on a NRT-AUH flight (around 40% empty) and again on a AUH-SIN flight (this time nearly 80% empty, around 6 seats looked occupied maximum).
Your reply is logicial, but like a lot of replies in this thread, is based on the fact that Etihad operates like most other airlines. Etihad is the airline that doesn’t post frequent flier miles 9 times out of ten, in the hope that customers won’t realise. Etihad is the airline where cuts start in First class and Economy is enhanced. Etihad simply doesn’t work like most airlines.
Experince of Etihad itself is far more prudent than trying to apply other airlines policies to EY.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: TK Elite (*G), ITA Executive, WY Silver, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
Right on @akalra
First and Business for the win, eco-nomy down the bin!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: EY, QR Platinum, BA Gold
Here's my two cents on this. From AUH to BKK my family (Gold) frequently get's upgraded from Y to J but only the 2nd morning flight to BKK but never on the first one. Maybe because this flight has so many passengers from the flight that left 2 hours earlier having missed their connections coming in late from Europe.

When they had the 3 class service using the Jet Airways Aircraft I got upgraded from J to F both from BKK to AUH and return nearly every time. Of course now with a 2 class aircraft I'm already in J with lots of of op ups as economy is oversold.

LHR to AUH I've been upgraded to F from J a few times but only on the morning and afternoon flights but never the evening flight.

I always ask at check in and in the lounge. "Any chance of an upgrade today"? They always say they will let me know in both LHR and AUH and to be honest I'm not sure if it's because of an op up or because I"m Platinum and know the agents. But like the OP, I believe it doesn't hurt to ask. But in LHR I guess I've been lucky.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Originally Posted by flightcrew1
Here's my two cents on this. From AUH to BKK my family (Gold) frequently get's upgraded from Y to J but only the 2nd morning flight to BKK but never on the first one. Maybe because this flight has so many passengers from the flight that left 2 hours earlier having missed their connections coming in late from Europe.

When they had the 3 class service using the Jet Airways Aircraft I got upgraded from J to F both from BKK to AUH and return nearly every time. Of course now with a 2 class aircraft I'm already in J with lots of of op ups as economy is oversold.

LHR to AUH I've been upgraded to F from J a few times but only on the morning and afternoon flights but never the evening flight.

I always ask at check in and in the lounge. "Any chance of an upgrade today"? They always say they will let me know in both LHR and AUH and to be honest I'm not sure if it's because of an op up or because I"m Platinum and know the agents. But like the OP, I believe it doesn't hurt to ask. But in LHR I guess I've been lucky.
Yes , have to agree on that one. The later morning flight out of AUH , that also applies to the later evening flight as well ,due to the late arrival of aircraft from Europe
flightcrew1 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

" And I know for a fact that ex AUH most agents will upgrade a Gold or Platinum just because they asked."

"It doesn’t work with every agent, but try it, it does work when you get the ‘right’ agent"

"Oh and it’s usually a yes from J-F, Y-J not so much."

So . . . which of the above is correct? All agents? The right agents? Just because you ask? Or not so much?

Johan
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.