Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Re: Etihad Airways [RQID:xxxxxxxx] I choked at 33,000Feet on a piece of plastic !!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Re: Etihad Airways [RQID:xxxxxxxx] I choked at 33,000Feet on a piece of plastic !!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Angry Re: Etihad Airways [RQID:xxxxxxxx] I choked at 33,000Feet on a piece of plastic !!

To:Etihad Feedback,[email protected]

12 Aug at 23:25
Thank you for your reply.

Not only do you not want to refund my full return fare Hong Kong to Edinburgh.

You are refusing to tell me the details of where the meal that choked me was prepared, to allow me to investigate further.

Mr P.Baumgartner C.E.O. as I now have it confirmed in writing today that Etihad Airways "do not have a policy of sharing reports with guests".

I hold you fully responsible for the health and safety incident that choked me on the Edinburgh to Abu Dhabi leg of my flight to Hong Kong.

I put it to you that you cannot provide this information as you have not investigated this case to that fine a level.

I put it to you that Etihad is so slack and shonky it could be alleged that, they could not care about the food served to the customers and staff who also eat the meals.

Your managers
Will not disclose the source of the plastic fragment that could have killed me on my Edinburgh to Abu Dhabi flight 8th June 2018.

I will now proceed to involve help from Police Scotland,the Scottish Government, The Civil Aviation Authority and The UK Government to investigate Etihad and their operations out of Edinburgh Airport.

I will also alert the local press and airport trade unions and TV and Radio to alert the general public that a flight with Etihad out of Edinburgh could be your last....

I will also contact the local press TV and Radio in Hong Kong/China as to the food safety issue.

The People can then be judge and jury on EITHAD

Yours Sincerely
Terence Xxxxxxx

On Sunday, 12 August 2018, 18:36:46 GMT+8, Etihad Feedback wrote:

Our ref: 655929

12 August 2018

Dear Mr Xxxxxxx,

Thank you for your response, which has been escalated to me.

I have taken the opportunity to review your feedback once more, noting the points you have raised. You have requested for a full report of our internal investigations however we do not have a policy of sharing these with our guests.

Our goodwill gesture offered to you in out last correspondence still stands as I am confident that your case has been reviewed thoroughly and fairly. We have also discussed your case with our Legal Affairs team, and they agree with our findings and conclusion.

I am sorry that this was not the response you were hoping for, and hope that you can understand that we are not in a position to liaise with you further on this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Fxxxxxxxx Xxxxxxxxxx

Manager Guest Relations

Etihad Airways

New Airport Road, Khalifa City, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 21, 2018 at 8:06 am Reason: Removed personal info and name of employee
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
Do you not chew your food? what dish was this? was the meal in economy, business or first?

without thew original correspondence I can only assume you're posting this here to shame the airline?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:45 am
Original Poster

I chew my food
Pasta Dish
Economy

I am posting to warn that ETIHAD will not tell me the origin of the meal. The plastic fragment looked like it may be of processing equipment.
The people who fly out of EDINBURGH should be made aware of the quality of food they are served. Take your own food would be my advice!!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:29 am

Wow, they actually responded. Be grateful. (And less dramatic.)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by thescotchwhiskyhunter
I chew my food
Pasta Dish
Economy

I am posting to warn that ETIHAD will not tell me the origin of the meal. The plastic fragment looked like it may be of processing equipment.
The people who fly out of EDINBURGH should be made aware of the quality of food they are served. Take your own food would be my advice!!
So your advice would be still fly Etihad albeit take their own food ? I would have thought you would have suggested people to not fly Etihad. Having said that, they are pulling out of Edinburgh from October
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:34 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Etihad's refusal to share reports is concerning, but can you be more specific on the plastic fragment. Do you have pictures?

Provided that the EY flight was catered out of EDI, by your argument, all airlines flying out of EDI should be affected. If anything, such cases are rare and are by a chance basis. I wouldn't avoid catering from EDI (especially being part based there) due to that.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: IB G; EY S
What goodwill compensation did they wanted to offer you?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:47 pm

You have to complain the the food safety authority located in the country where the flight departed. If HKG they will take it quite seriously. If AUH don't bother.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum, Alitalia FRECCIA ALATA
I ended up throwing up several times and running to washroom on my recent EY business class flight from AUH to JFK. It started about 10 hours into the flight after I had steak sandwich. My wife had the same without onions and tomato. So I suppose those were tainted...

But since it has never happened before.. and EY won't care . I didn't bother reporting it or taking it any further.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Hope you have recovered and are in good health.
It is never too late to report a food poison incident.
If anything this will alert other customers of potential problems with ETIHAD food.
If you get sick at 33,000 Feet on a Long Haul flight it is not possible to call a doctor or an Ambulance!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wow! What high drama!

You provide no context at all, and your email to EY is fairly childish. It would be far more useful, if you want to engage on FT, for you to set out properly what happened.

What is shonky?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Wow! What high drama!

You provide no context at all, and your email to EY is fairly childish. It would be far more useful, if you want to engage on FT, for you to set out properly what happened.

What is shonky?
Dear London,
Your comments are noted.
F.Y.I. DICTIONARY.COM

shonky

adjective -kier or -kiest Australian and NZ informal
  1. of dubious integrity or legality
  2. unreliable; unsound

Word Origin

C19: perhaps from Yiddish shonniker or from sh (oddy) + (w) onky

[Deleted by moderator]

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 23, 2018 at 12:21 pm Reason: Rule 12 - personal attacks
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:34 am
Suspended

Your use of Australian/Yiddish slang and TV-script quasi-legal language does you no favours in your case against the airline. These have lawyers on staff who will be able to assess what they are potentially up against.

I suggest you either write a concise, factual, and unemotional letter setting out the sequence of events and what you expect as a reasonable recovery gesture, or instruct a lawyer to pursue the airline for any number of items. Your lawyer will be much better positioned to tell you what is realistic and what up-front costs you will have to meet to go down that path. You can then decide what you want to do.

The, I repeat, childish, threats of CAA, Police Scotland, etc etc are recognised by the airline as such and have probably already tainted your claim as fantastical, whatever merit it may indeed have. They know that none of these agencies will want to engage with you, and Daily Mail stories of 'what happened on the flight' are a dime-a-dozen. I have to suppress a bit of laughter at the assertion that the UK Government will investigate EY.

My serious suggestion is to press the reset button and speak to a lawyer. But I am tickled by the idea that you may be a guest star on the Chris Evans Breakfast Show warning people about H&S issues on flights from EDI-AUH.
RoyalSwazi and Recondite like this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:24 am
Original Poster

London [moderator deletion] once again your comments are noted!

[moderator deletion]

No need for Lawyers, ETIHAD have already tried to buy my silence. And failed!

The man of principle has the highest price of all.

The whole point of this post is to alert the flying public to the fact that your next flight with ETIHAD out of EDINBURGH could be your last! "nothing more nothing less".

To care for your fellow human beings is a wonderful thing. There is more to life than chasing the dollar London!

[deleted by moderator]

Enjoy your next ETIHAD meal...Good Luck

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 23, 2018 at 12:25 pm Reason: Rule 12 - discuss the issue, not other members
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thescotchwhiskyhunter
The whole point of this post is to alert the flying public to the fact that your next flight with ETIHAD out of EDINBURGH could be your last! "nothing more nothing less".
Do you seriously think a single data point allows you to make such a sweeping generalisation? Watch out! A walk in the park could be your last! I slipped on a banana peel and lost all feeling below my eyeballs!

Come on.

If you really feel you need to teach Ethiad (or, more likely, the Scottish catering company) a lesson, hire a lawyer. Not for the money, but for the principle.
nancypants and clubeurope like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.