Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Eco-conscious Travel
Reload this Page >

Should we get rid of air miles for climate change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2022, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold

Hi,

Never posted on this Forum before but have found good advice over the years. I've put a link to an article I read on the BBC website today discussing Frequent Flyer Programme' and their impact on the environment. Personally thought it an interesting read so thought to share it here. If this is the incorrect forum then my apologies.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...climate-change

ML
l etoile and hugolover like this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Interesting article. Economically, it makes sense to do so. But is there the political will to do it? I doubt it.

Some states in the US have (or had) similar rules for other things. For example, Massachusetts does not allow any discounts or loyalty schemes for alcohol, on the theory that they promote excess consumption.

Another issue the article fails to mention is the principal-agent problem, where flights are often paid by an employer but the miles belong to the traveler. This is essentially a kickback that encourages people to fly more in order to get more "free" stuff at someone else's expense.
l etoile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.