Reload this Page >

Fundamental flaws in the environmental case for the Boom Overture

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2021, 11:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Fascinating insight, as ever, from Robert Boyle.

https://www.gridpoint.consulting/blo...ersonic-travel

Here he deconstructs the PR where United Airlines eschewed the Overture’s glowing environmental credentials. Both Boom and United are making claims that this will be the world’s first zero-carbon aircraft which, if you scratch beneath the surface, are largely attributed to the availability of sustainable aviation fuels (SAF).

The claims that this will be a “zero carbon” aircraft seem to be based on Overture offsetting the carbon involved in its manufacture and the fact that it will be designed to operate with 100% SAF. The topic of SAF is a complex one, but there are two things you need to know.

Firstly, any aircraft can operate with SAF. It is designed to be a “drop in” replacement which can be blended with conventional fuels. Every aircraft is an aircraft that can operate with 100% SAF. Secondly, the things that are standing in the way of transitioning the world’s aviation to SAF are economics and supply constraints.

I hope I’ve already demonstrated that operators of Overture aircraft are not going to be in a unique position to afford to pay a premium for SAF. The aircraft will also burn more SAF per passenger mile than their subsonic equivalents. In a SAF supply constrained world, that is bad for the environment. Don’t get me started on the likelihood of having a large supply of SAF available at an affordable price in Tahiti any time soon.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I've said so many times. There's no such thing as climate neutral, environmental friendly, or clean travel. The only zero carbon travel is NO travel. It's like wanting a (real) beef steak without killing the cow. It can't be done.

The technological solution has failed in the time we have to make a difference. There's a myth of endless growth built on the back of fake carbon neutral tech which as you point out, is pure fiction.

The only solution is a total worldwide lockdown for several decades in order to give Earth a chance to recover. Zero travel, minimal energy use, turn off the lights, shut down factories making unnecessary products, move people from inhospitable climates that are carbon intensive, meat free diets. The political class could start by encouraging people to eat meal worms and grow their own vegetables, fruits and grains. An insect based diet is extremely good for the environment.

The Elite can fly in from every corner of the world for COP, they can commit to blah and blah, but it will make no difference unless they're honest with the public and take drastic measures before it's too late.

Like with Covid. Let's just follow the science. In fact the climate change science is way more established than the Covid science. It's decades old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.