FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Earliest I can check into airport / use first class lounge? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/2069324-earliest-i-can-check-into-airport-use-first-class-lounge.html)

Ashok Khanna Feb 19, 2022 4:31 am

Earliest I can check into airport / use first class lounge?

I have a flight out of DXB at 2am but have nothing better to do.

Whats the earliest I can physically check in with all my bags and also use the first class lounge?

Many thanks

bngood Feb 19, 2022 7:37 am

The website says up to 4 hours before you fly.

I can’t post a link but it is on the emirates website under experience/our lounges

unfrequentflyer Feb 19, 2022 7:54 am

Originally Posted by bngood (Post 34005730)
The website says up to 4 hours before you fly.

I can’t post a link but it is on the emirates website under experience/our lounges

Is the 4 hour limit apply to connecting flight too? It is not uncommon to have 10+ hour connecting time in DXB

Ashok Khanna Feb 19, 2022 8:25 am

I’m here with 8 hours to go. Called up Emirates Call Center and they said upto 24 hours before.

I think the 4 hours rule is for those who pay for lounge access vs those who get it as part of their ticket

tpsmith82 Feb 19, 2022 9:44 am

This is a bit older thread but lots of good data points. I imagine most of them still valid. From the sounds of it lounge access would be allowed t-24, for instance on a layover. The problem it seems with departing DXB from landside is being able to pass the egates or security. Sounds there is a pretty hard 10 hour limit, and on one data point a bit of pushback if not the same day.

See posts 46, 66, 79, 87 & 95.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...-lounge-7.html

I also have a flight departing around 3am and am hoping to avoid a hotel stay and plan to try and enter airport / lounge around 6-8 pm the night prior. By the way, we have done a 20 hr layover in the lounge before a few years back. Contrary to what many may say, we quite enjoyed it. Had a shower, massage, several courses meals with wonderful wine pairings, got some sleep in the nap room, toured the airport and other lounges , planed spotted. It was great and would and am doing it again.

Ashok Khanna Feb 19, 2022 9:49 am

Originally Posted by tpsmith82 (Post 34006003)
This is a bit older thread but lots of good data points. I imagine most of them still valid. From the sounds of it lounge access would be allowed t-24, for instance on a layover. The problem it seems with departing DXB from landside is being able to pass the egates or security. Sounds there is a pretty hard 10 hour limit, and on one data point a bit of pushback if not the same day.

See posts 46, 66, 79, 87 & 95.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...-lounge-7.html

I also have a flight departing around 3am and am hoping to avoid a hotel stay and plan to try and enter airport / lounge around 6-8 pm the night prior. By the way, we have done a 20 hr layover in the lounge before a few years back. Contrary to what many may say, we quite enjoyed it. Had a shower, massage, several courses meals with wonderful wine pairings, got some sleep in the nap room, toured the airport and other lounges , planed spotted. It was great and would and am doing it again.

All makes sense. Expect you will have no issues getting in after 6 (I got in at 4.30 for a 2am flight), and have a safe and pleasant travels

nnn Feb 19, 2022 9:35 pm

Not sure if it applies to you, but if the flight is DXB to the United States, Emirates told me by email recently that check in begins 12 hours before departure.

Metanoia Feb 20, 2022 12:12 am

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 34007354)
Not sure if it applies to you, but if the flight is DXB to the United States, Emirates told me by email recently that check in begins 12 hours before departure.

Aaaaand within 4 hours of a departing US flight. That's the hard part. So if you're departing in the morning bank of flights to SFO, LAX, IAH, SEA (around 8:30am) you need to check in after 10:30pm (IAD is at 02:30) if you want to overnight in the lounge or airside hotel.

nnn Feb 20, 2022 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Metanoia (Post 34007510)
Aaaaand within 4 hours of a departing US flight. That's the hard part. So if you're departing in the morning bank of flights to SFO, LAX, IAH, SEA (around 8:30am) you need to check in after 10:30pm (IAD is at 02:30) if you want to overnight in the lounge or airside hotel.

Thanks for that info. They didn’t mention that part to me.

Metanoia Feb 20, 2022 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 34008212)
Thanks for that info. They didn’t mention that part to me.

The reason is they have to ask the specific security questions for the US, and that has to be done by a different security group, which is only there 4 hours before departure of a US bound flight. I have no problem checking in for LAX or SFO at 10:30pm though, but I always have an airside hotel reservation.

In the before times when JFK was 4 nonstops daily there was a late afternoon departure around 4:30pm which would theoretically make it possible to spend a lot more time airside, but no airport is that interesting and the F lounge is only so good. I never took advantage of that.

nnn Feb 20, 2022 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia (Post 34009241)
The reason is they have to ask the specific security questions for the US, and that has to be done by a different security group, which is only there 4 hours before departure of a US bound flight. I have no problem checking in for LAX or SFO at 10:30pm though, but I always have an airside hotel reservation.

We will be transiting inbound from DOH, most likely on Qatar Airways arriving DXB at around 9-10 pm (although might switch to FZ). We do plan on using the airside hotel at DXB. I was hoping we could stay entirely airside, and have Marhaba retrieve our baggage from QR and check them in for our EK flight (8:30 am to SFO). Do you know if that would be possible? I haven't been able to get a good answer from the airlines if I'll be able to stay airside, or if I have to go landside, retrieve bags, check them back in myself, etc.

unfrequentflyer Feb 20, 2022 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia (Post 34009241)

In the before times when JFK was 4 nonstops daily there was a late afternoon departure around 4:30pm which would theoretically make it possible to spend a lot more time airside, but no airport is that interesting and the F lounge is only so good. I never took advantage of that.

The security questions apply to passengers who originate from DXB or including connecting flight passengers?

Metanoia Feb 21, 2022 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer (Post 34009678)
The security questions apply to passengers who originate from DXB or including connecting flight passengers?

The check-in requirement applies to those departing DXB. There are other random security measures applied to US flights as well, which apply to all passengers (connecting and originating).

Metanoia Feb 21, 2022 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 34009377)
We will be transiting inbound from DOH, most likely on Qatar Airways arriving DXB at around 9-10 pm (although might switch to FZ). We do plan on using the airside hotel at DXB. I was hoping we could stay entirely airside, and have Marhaba retrieve our baggage from QR and check them in for our EK flight (8:30 am to SFO). Do you know if that would be possible? I haven't been able to get a good answer from the airlines if I'll be able to stay airside, or if I have to go landside, retrieve bags, check them back in myself, etc.

I don't have personal experience with the Marhaba service but I have heard good feedback, I think there might be another thread on that service you can search for. If you're entirely airside the check-in requirement likely doesn't apply to you but you may need to visit a connection desk to get your boarding pass.

unfrequentflyer Feb 21, 2022 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia (Post 34011981)
The check-in requirement applies to those departing DXB. There are other random security measures applied to US flights as well, which apply to all passengers (connecting and originating).

What other random security measures? How does this apply to the passengers of connecting flight?