Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Earliest I can check into airport / use first class lounge?

Earliest I can check into airport / use first class lounge?

Old Feb 19, 22, 4:31 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: Skywards
Posts: 51
Earliest I can check into airport / use first class lounge?

I have a flight out of DXB at 2am but have nothing better to do.

Whats the earliest I can physically check in with all my bags and also use the first class lounge?

Many thanks
Ashok Khanna is offline  
Old Feb 19, 22, 7:37 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: Skywards, Qantas frequent flyer
Posts: 6
The website says up to 4 hours before you fly.

I cant post a link but it is on the emirates website under experience/our lounges
bngood is offline  
Old Feb 19, 22, 7:54 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: new york, ny
Posts: 1,223
Originally Posted by bngood View Post
The website says up to 4 hours before you fly.

I cant post a link but it is on the emirates website under experience/our lounges
Is the 4 hour limit apply to connecting flight too? It is not uncommon to have 10+ hour connecting time in DXB
unfrequentflyer is offline  
Old Feb 19, 22, 8:25 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: Skywards
Posts: 51
Im here with 8 hours to go. Called up Emirates Call Center and they said upto 24 hours before.

I think the 4 hours rule is for those who pay for lounge access vs those who get it as part of their ticket
bngood likes this.
Ashok Khanna is offline  
Old Feb 19, 22, 9:44 am
  #5  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 414
This is a bit older thread but lots of good data points. I imagine most of them still valid. From the sounds of it lounge access would be allowed t-24, for instance on a layover. The problem it seems with departing DXB from landside is being able to pass the egates or security. Sounds there is a pretty hard 10 hour limit, and on one data point a bit of pushback if not the same day.

See posts 46, 66, 79, 87 & 95.

How early can I check into my Dubai flight and use first class lounge?

I also have a flight departing around 3am and am hoping to avoid a hotel stay and plan to try and enter airport / lounge around 6-8 pm the night prior. By the way, we have done a 20 hr layover in the lounge before a few years back. Contrary to what many may say, we quite enjoyed it. Had a shower, massage, several courses meals with wonderful wine pairings, got some sleep in the nap room, toured the airport and other lounges , planed spotted. It was great and would and am doing it again.
H8tofly likes this.
tpsmith82 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 22, 9:49 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Programs: Skywards
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by tpsmith82 View Post
This is a bit older thread but lots of good data points. I imagine most of them still valid. From the sounds of it lounge access would be allowed t-24, for instance on a layover. The problem it seems with departing DXB from landside is being able to pass the egates or security. Sounds there is a pretty hard 10 hour limit, and on one data point a bit of pushback if not the same day.

See posts 46, 66, 79, 87 & 95.

How early can I check into my Dubai flight and use first class lounge?

I also have a flight departing around 3am and am hoping to avoid a hotel stay and plan to try and enter airport / lounge around 6-8 pm the night prior. By the way, we have done a 20 hr layover in the lounge before a few years back. Contrary to what many may say, we quite enjoyed it. Had a shower, massage, several courses meals with wonderful wine pairings, got some sleep in the nap room, toured the airport and other lounges , planed spotted. It was great and would and am doing it again.

All makes sense. Expect you will have no issues getting in after 6 (I got in at 4.30 for a 2am flight), and have a safe and pleasant travels
superboi likes this.
Ashok Khanna is offline  
Old Feb 19, 22, 9:35 pm
  #7  
nnn
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Francisco
Programs: All-Around Kettle
Posts: 3,223
Not sure if it applies to you, but if the flight is DXB to the United States, Emirates told me by email recently that check in begins 12 hours before departure.
nnn is offline  
Old Feb 20, 22, 12:12 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Purple Lockdown Tier
Programs: AS Nothing, DL Silver, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat (still, amazingly)
Posts: 861
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Not sure if it applies to you, but if the flight is DXB to the United States, Emirates told me by email recently that check in begins 12 hours before departure.
Aaaaand within 4 hours of a departing US flight. That's the hard part. So if you're departing in the morning bank of flights to SFO, LAX, IAH, SEA (around 8:30am) you need to check in after 10:30pm (IAD is at 02:30) if you want to overnight in the lounge or airside hotel.
Metanoia is offline  
Old Feb 20, 22, 8:30 am
  #9  
nnn
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Francisco
Programs: All-Around Kettle
Posts: 3,223
Originally Posted by Metanoia View Post
Aaaaand within 4 hours of a departing US flight. That's the hard part. So if you're departing in the morning bank of flights to SFO, LAX, IAH, SEA (around 8:30am) you need to check in after 10:30pm (IAD is at 02:30) if you want to overnight in the lounge or airside hotel.
Thanks for that info. They didnt mention that part to me.
nnn is offline  
Old Feb 20, 22, 2:45 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Purple Lockdown Tier
Programs: AS Nothing, DL Silver, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat (still, amazingly)
Posts: 861
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Thanks for that info. They didn’t mention that part to me.
The reason is they have to ask the specific security questions for the US, and that has to be done by a different security group, which is only there 4 hours before departure of a US bound flight. I have no problem checking in for LAX or SFO at 10:30pm though, but I always have an airside hotel reservation.

In the before times when JFK was 4 nonstops daily there was a late afternoon departure around 4:30pm which would theoretically make it possible to spend a lot more time airside, but no airport is that interesting and the F lounge is only so good. I never took advantage of that.
nnn likes this.

Last edited by Metanoia; Feb 20, 22 at 2:54 pm
Metanoia is offline  
Old Feb 20, 22, 3:45 pm
  #11  
nnn
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Francisco
Programs: All-Around Kettle
Posts: 3,223
Originally Posted by Metanoia View Post
The reason is they have to ask the specific security questions for the US, and that has to be done by a different security group, which is only there 4 hours before departure of a US bound flight. I have no problem checking in for LAX or SFO at 10:30pm though, but I always have an airside hotel reservation.
We will be transiting inbound from DOH, most likely on Qatar Airways arriving DXB at around 9-10 pm (although might switch to FZ). We do plan on using the airside hotel at DXB. I was hoping we could stay entirely airside, and have Marhaba retrieve our baggage from QR and check them in for our EK flight (8:30 am to SFO). Do you know if that would be possible? I haven't been able to get a good answer from the airlines if I'll be able to stay airside, or if I have to go landside, retrieve bags, check them back in myself, etc.
nnn is offline  
Old Feb 20, 22, 6:47 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: new york, ny
Posts: 1,223
Originally Posted by Metanoia View Post
The reason is they have to ask the specific security questions for the US, and that has to be done by a different security group, which is only there 4 hours before departure of a US bound flight. I have no problem checking in for LAX or SFO at 10:30pm though, but I always have an airside hotel reservation.

In the before times when JFK was 4 nonstops daily there was a late afternoon departure around 4:30pm which would theoretically make it possible to spend a lot more time airside, but no airport is that interesting and the F lounge is only so good. I never took advantage of that.
The security questions apply to passengers who originate from DXB or including connecting flight passengers?
unfrequentflyer is offline  
Old Feb 21, 22, 1:18 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Purple Lockdown Tier
Programs: AS Nothing, DL Silver, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat (still, amazingly)
Posts: 861
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer View Post
The security questions apply to passengers who originate from DXB or including connecting flight passengers?
The check-in requirement applies to those departing DXB. There are other random security measures applied to US flights as well, which apply to all passengers (connecting and originating).
Metanoia is offline  
Old Feb 21, 22, 1:23 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Purple Lockdown Tier
Programs: AS Nothing, DL Silver, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat (still, amazingly)
Posts: 861
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
We will be transiting inbound from DOH, most likely on Qatar Airways arriving DXB at around 9-10 pm (although might switch to FZ). We do plan on using the airside hotel at DXB. I was hoping we could stay entirely airside, and have Marhaba retrieve our baggage from QR and check them in for our EK flight (8:30 am to SFO). Do you know if that would be possible? I haven't been able to get a good answer from the airlines if I'll be able to stay airside, or if I have to go landside, retrieve bags, check them back in myself, etc.
I don't have personal experience with the Marhaba service but I have heard good feedback, I think there might be another thread on that service you can search for. If you're entirely airside the check-in requirement likely doesn't apply to you but you may need to visit a connection desk to get your boarding pass.
nnn likes this.
Metanoia is offline  
Old Feb 21, 22, 1:45 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: new york, ny
Posts: 1,223
Originally Posted by Metanoia View Post
The check-in requirement applies to those departing DXB. There are other random security measures applied to US flights as well, which apply to all passengers (connecting and originating).
What other random security measures? How does this apply to the passengers of connecting flight?
unfrequentflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread