FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Emirates Prices (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1962834-emirates-prices.html)

chelseastu Mar 27, 2019 1:33 pm

Emirates Prices

Booked for April and August LHR to BKK in F and the cost has come tumbling down. I paid over £4k same time last year, got both flights for £3.2k
We're back to 2017 pricing. Any reason for this ?

skywardhunter Mar 27, 2019 2:02 pm

Yes, supply and demand

chelseastu Mar 28, 2019 6:58 am

So are they not able to fill their First cabins this year ? Was there something that happened last year that bumped the prices to over £4k.
Seems really strange.

Will08 Mar 28, 2019 7:24 am

Who really cares when you are happy to spend over 4k on a flight...

m3red Mar 28, 2019 8:23 am

Originally Posted by chelseastu (Post 30938759)
So are they not able to fill their First cabins this year ? Was there something that happened last year that bumped the prices to over £4k.
Seems really strange.

First savers - prices come and go

skywardhunter Mar 28, 2019 8:58 am

Prices aren't set on an annual basis. They change all the time. Next week they might be 6k

chelseastu Mar 28, 2019 1:21 pm

I've seen them set at pretty consistent levels for many years, generally between £2800 and £3300. The past 12 months has seen them at £41000-£4300 no matter what time of the year I've been flying - in fact Thai were cheaper on a few occasions which is something totally unheard of. Now they've dropped back down to the £3200 mark. I get they can change their prices and I get that peak season may attract premium pricing but they seem consistent for the rest of this year at the lower price. I just don't get it. Anyhow...time to move on.

chelseastu Mar 28, 2019 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Will08 (Post 30938826)
Who really cares when you are happy to spend over 4k on a flight...

I'm never happy paying that type of money but it is what it is. What I was trying to get my head around is the reasons for the drastic price changes.

Will08 Mar 28, 2019 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by chelseastu (Post 30940107)
I'm never happy paying that type of money but it is what it is. What I was trying to get my head around is the reasons for the drastic price changes.

Flight centre used to have a first and business class page where I saw prices as low as 2600 to BKK over the last couple of years on EK but I think they have changed their website now.

rumbataz Mar 29, 2019 12:53 am

At the other end of the scale, Economy prices seem to be going up back to the 2000s levels. For about the last decade, I could get tickets easily for around 400GBP for the LHR-DXB route at times and dates to suit me, including seat selection.

Now I’m looking at November flights and the prices are are consistently around 500-600GBP when you add in seat selection.

thijsseh Mar 29, 2019 3:32 am

I think it is important to realise that there are different fare classes (Special, Saver, Flex and Flex+) and inside these fare classes there usually are several fare buckets. Looking at a Flight Centre (or any other TA) booking page will (most probably) give you the best fare at that time (i.e. in the lowest fare bucket they can find). And of course EK will make numbers of seats seats available in different fare buckets as they see fit (i''e' to maximise revenue). Of course the fare of a particular bucket is also not fixed, but it is not changed nearly as often as allocation of amounts of seats to different buckets. And once the seats in a bucket are sold out, you will get the next higher bucket offered (and so on and so forth). And when sales are lower than expected, extra seats in lower buckets may very well be released....

Therefore, to say that 'fares are going up' or 'fares are going down' is a bit of an oversimplification

chelseastu Mar 29, 2019 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh (Post 30942036)
I think it is important to realise that there are different fare classes (Special, Saver, Flex and Flex+) and inside these fare classes there usually are several fare buckets. Looking at a Flight Centre (or any other TA) booking page will (most probably) give you the best fare at that time (i.e. in the lowest fare bucket they can find). And of course EK will make numbers of seats seats available in different fare buckets as they see fit (i''e' to maximise revenue). Of course the fare of a particular bucket is also not fixed, but it is not changed nearly as often as allocation of amounts of seats to different buckets. And once the seats in a bucket are sold out, you will get the next higher bucket offered (and so on and so forth). And when sales are lower than expected, extra seats in lower buckets may very well be released....

Therefore, to say that 'fares are going up' or 'fares are going down' is a bit of an oversimplification

Yes I get that but pretty much all last year, whatever flight I chose the quote (for saver) was always in the £4100 region. It didn't matter which search engine I used, it was pretty standard, I have booked out 4 flights for this year and each one (no matter what date) is quoted in the £3200 region. I'm guessing that EK got greedy and tried to get more for their seats then realised they were losing revenue - I can testify to that as a lot of the flights over the past year in F have been pretty empty.

freed0m Mar 29, 2019 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by rumbataz (Post 30941779)
At the other end of the scale, Economy prices seem to be going up back to the 2000s levels. For about the last decade, I could get tickets easily for around 400GBP for the LHR-DXB route at times and dates to suit me, including seat selection.

Now I’m looking at November flights and the prices are are consistently around 500-600GBP when you add in seat selection.

GBP is worth a lot less now. 400GBP a few years ago is more than 500GBP now.

DYKWIA Mar 30, 2019 3:34 am

Originally Posted by chelseastu (Post 30943789)
Yes I get that but pretty much all last year, whatever flight I chose the quote (for saver) was always in the £4100 region. It didn't matter which search engine I used, it was pretty standard, I have booked out 4 flights for this year and each one (no matter what date) is quoted in the £3200 region. I'm guessing that EK got greedy and tried to get more for their seats then realised they were losing revenue - I can testify to that as a lot of the flights over the past year in F have been pretty empty.

As said right at the beginning of this thread. Supply and demand. The demand for F to BKK has fallen dramatically, which is why most of the flights are now 2 class. The same has happened with QR.

chelseastu Mar 30, 2019 11:30 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 30945418)
As said right at the beginning of this thread. Supply and demand. The demand for F to BKK has fallen dramatically, which is why most of the flights are now 2 class. The same has happened with QR.

Fair enough though I'm not sure the demand has dropped off, I just don't think it was there in the first place which beggars the question why EK put up their prices .Switching to 2 class configuration seems logical though obviously disappointing