Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DXB to DWC transfer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:42 am
Original Poster

DXB to DWC transfer

Due to the runway project at DXB, one of my upcoming journeys involves a DXB to DWC transfer. Are they putting on any dedicated transport during this time, or am I best to make my own way there in a taxi?

Anyone know what the facilities are like and how they'll likely cope with the influx of passengers? It looks like there's a Marhaba lounge accessible with Priority Pass. Is there anywhere to have a shower?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Can you please provide some more detail, i.e.

- which airlines are you flying (into DXB and out of DWC)
- which airline issued the ticket
- which airline is operating each flight
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Arriving at DXB on EK, departing DWC on FZ. It will probably be a Qantas issued ticket, but I haven't received it yet.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by ps107
Arriving at DXB on EK, departing DWC on FZ. It will probably be a Qantas issued ticket, but I haven't received it yet.
Thanks, unfortunately I have no idea, but this info should help someone else to assist you hopefully.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:55 am

From the Dubai Airports website:

Dubai World Central (DWC)

The airport is linked to the city and Dubai International by buses operated by the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA).

Bus no F55 travels between the airport and the Ibn Battuta Metro Station every hour during the metro operational hours while Bus no N55 travels between the airport and the Al Ghubaiba Bus Station when the metro is not in operation.
UAworldwide likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:59 am
nwe

With several flights expected to be affected by the upcoming closure of the Dubai International Airport's (DXB) southern runway, the authorities have put in place a host of arrangements to ensure a smooth travel for passengers. Passengers will be shuttled free of cost between DXB and the Dubai World Central (DWC) through an express bus services during the closure period from April 16 to May 30.

Additionally, the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) will connect the DWC with key locations in Dubai through a regular bus service. The authority will also deploy a dedicated fleet of taxis for this purpose.

Dubai Airports has also tied up with ride hailing app Careem to offer 25 per cent discount to passengers travelling to and from DWC.

"The most significant change for passengers during the period will be the need to confirm the airport that they travelling to or from. That said, we're confident customers and airlines will be impressed by the speed, efficiency and convenience of Dubai's second airport," said Paul Griffiths, CEO, Dubai Airports.

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/busines...iverted--123-1
ps107 and pierreza like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:58 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
I wonder how TWV will work if you are going landside for the transfer
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

I did the DXB to DWC transfer today with mixed success.

When I checked in at Auckland, my luggage was tagged to my final destination. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but later wondered how that would work with the DXB-DWC transfer. When I arrived in DXB, I checked with the luggage office who assured me this was correct and they take care of the road transport of checked luggage between DXB and DWC. Great. I cleared immigration and followed the signs to the bus.

The bus runs every half hour and takes about 1.5 hours from T3. It would be a lot faster but it waits at T2 for about half an hour. If you wanted to save some time, you could consider getting a taxi to T2 to get the bus.

I didn't have high hopes for the bus, but it's actually very good - a high-end tour coach rather than a "bus".

Got to DWC and asked about luggage again at check in and was assured everything was under control and my bag tag was entered into the Flydubai system etc.

The airport is a much more pleasant place to be than T2 but doesn't have as many food options - just Costa, McDonalds, a Heineken bar, and a cafe/bar looking thing that I can't remember the name of. The Marhaba lounge is mediocre (but better than T2 from memory) and doesn't have showers. Unfortunately smart gate registration doesn't carry over from DXB and the immigration process was slow. Looks like it's all bus gates and about as inefficient as T2. We ended up standing on the bus for half an hour beside the plane.

Arrived at my destination but my bag was still in DXB.

If I had to do it again, I'd ask them to check my bag as far as DXB only, and transfer it myself. Or at least make sure you hand-carry a few spare pairs of socks and undies.

Such a pain they couldn't get it 100% right.
S c 0 TT y, pierreza, Zol and 1 others like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:42 am
Original Poster

They somehow sent my baggage to Kuwait and it's still another 3 days away
Old May 8, 2019, 1:53 pm

Interesting...I actually didn't know DWC was open and airlines are flying in/out of DWC.
Is EK planning on moving to DWC at some point?
Did they announce a planned timeline?
Old May 8, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
Interesting...I actually didn't know DWC was open and airlines are flying in/out of DWC.
DWC has been operating for a few years. EK won't be moving until the end of the 2020s
Old May 8, 2019, 3:53 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by agjil
FlyDubai have moved a lot of flights there while the runway is closed at DXB.

QR had some flights from there before the ban.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
DWC has been operating for a few years. EK won't be moving until the end of the 2020s
They seem to be using it as a parking lot in the meantime. It looked like there were about 10 parked A380s, and a bunch of 777s that looked to be in longer-term storage. It's quite an interesting place for an EK enthusiast to have a nosey if you get the opportunity.

Didn't spot any Emirates 747 freighters though, unfortunately.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:59 pm

They seem to be using it as a parking lot in the meantime. It looked like there were about 10 parked A380s, and a bunch of 777s that looked to be in longer-term storage. It's quite an interesting place for an EK enthusiast to have a nosey if you get the opportunity.

Didn't spot any Emirates 747 freighters though, unfortunately.
20 B777s are parked due to DXB runway closure. They'll return to service in June once the runway rehab is complete.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:11 am

I did the DXB to DWC transfer today with mixed success.

When I checked in at Auckland, my luggage was tagged to my final destination. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but later wondered how that would work with the DXB-DWC transfer. When I arrived in DXB, I checked with the luggage office who assured me this was correct and they take care of the road transport of checked luggage between DXB and DWC. Great. I cleared immigration and followed the signs to the bus.

The bus runs every half hour and takes about 1.5 hours from T3. It would be a lot faster but it waits at T2 for about half an hour. If you wanted to save some time, you could consider getting a taxi to T2 to get the bus.

I didn't have high hopes for the bus, but it's actually very good - a high-end tour coach rather than a "bus".

Got to DWC and asked about luggage again at check in and was assured everything was under control and my bag tag was entered into the Flydubai system etc.

The airport is a much more pleasant place to be than T2 but doesn't have as many food options - just Costa, McDonalds, a Heineken bar, and a cafe/bar looking thing that I can't remember the name of. The Marhaba lounge is mediocre (but better than T2 from memory) and doesn't have showers. Unfortunately smart gate registration doesn't carry over from DXB and the immigration process was slow. Looks like it's all bus gates and about as inefficient as T2. We ended up standing on the bus for half an hour beside the plane.

Arrived at my destination but my bag was still in DXB.

If I had to do it again, I'd ask them to check my bag as far as DXB only, and transfer it myself. Or at least make sure you hand-carry a few spare pairs of socks and undies.

Such a pain they couldn't get it 100% right.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I have a similar transfer for my journey tonight, and seems like I will not asked for bags to be checked through (mine was booked on separate ticket anyway).

May I enquire, how long was your layover in Dubai? And how long did it take you to transfer, say from the time aircraft landed/got off aircraft to the time you reach DWC? The website says at least 4 hours and that's really all I have.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.