Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage allowance

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by malct
. . . but i could book the 1 hour earlier flight from BKK at the same price, just meant getting up 1 hour earlier.
You're on EK373 at 20:35. Isn't the next flight in the early hours of the morning, as that's usually what I go for so I'm not in DXB for several hours as that gets messy?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:28 am
Original Poster

It's a long stop over in Dubai, but it's suits me fine with leaving Bangkok at 20:30 so no rush in the morning to get to the hotel, the last time we came back from Bangkok, we had to be up at 2am for the 8am flight, i know that you can't really sleep in airports, or on the plane, but the last time I travelled on that route, it was a long journey getting into Manchester at 8pm at night and the 2.5 hrs drive home . Got home gone midnight.

I imagine since it's 30kg per person, then we should be able to select our seats on the plane. Will have to ask about that .

​​​​​​Still debating on how long we are going for, hence the reason for not booking yet.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
we had to be up at 2am for the 8am flight
I'd be getting up at 5:15 for that flight, heading to the airport at 5:45 to be there between 75-90 mins before departure, 2am seems excessive unless you were coming from far away, though even from Pattaya that seems really early
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:19 am
Original Poster

we were leaving from Pattaya, Taxi booked for 3am to get to the airport at 4;30 leaving enough time for issues, plus the wife had a lot baggage that's why we wanted the 9:30am flight and not the 8:30 flight.

Really wanting to go for the 6 weeks, but its the hassle of getting a visa unless i book a flight out of Bangkok for a few days within the first 30 days otherwise its a 30 day holiday
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:38 am

we were leaving from Pattaya, Taxi booked for 3am to get to the airport at 4;30 leaving enough time for issues, plus the wife had a lot baggage that's why we wanted the 9:30am flight and not the 8:30 flight.

Really wanting to go for the 6 weeks, but its the hassle of getting a visa unless i book a flight out of Bangkok for a few days within the first 30 days otherwise its a 30 day holiday
weekend trip to SIN or KUL then. What passport to you have? I get 90 days visa-free entry to Thailand on my SA passport
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Why the difference in allowance

I know that i have touched on this subject before, but regards baggage allowance, why the difference in the amount of kilos.

Flying from Edinburgh its 20KG booking through a agent and using the same agent but flying from man or new its 30KG, i understand that both tickets are savers and unable to select your seats until OLCI opens

Am i missing something here, are the Man and Newcastle just normal economy?

The price is for 2 people

I have attached photos of each and i know its different return dates

Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:39 am
Original Poster

And would the 30Kg allow you to reserve seats ?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
its likely that the EDI flights are actually "special" as opposed to "saver".
The slightly discounted special fares appear from time to time, and have only 20kg baggage included, and cannot be upgraded at all with miles.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
....... Really wanting to go for the 6 weeks, but its the hassle of getting a visa unless i book a flight out of Bangkok for a few days within the first 30 days otherwise its a 30 day holiday
I assume that you have a UK passport and, therefore, qualify for a Visa Exempt entry into the Kingdom thus giving you permission to stay for 30 days. If this is correct, you don't need to leave the Kingdom for a few days and then return to obtain a Visa Exempt entry for another 30 days. When you are in the Kingdom you can go to the local immigration office and apply for an extension (30 days) at the cost of 1,900 THB - much cheaper than cost of a return flight to a neighbouring country.
The only proviso to this information is that you should not have a long history of back-to-back Visa Exempt entries as immigration may think that you are not a tourist.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
..... I get 90 days visa-free entry to Thailand on my SA passport
A normal South African passport only qualifies for a 30 day Visa Exempt entry into the Kingdom. I take it that as a FT Skywards Ambassador you qualify for a diplomatic passport which allows you 90 day visa free entry
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Oldtiger
I assume that you have a UK passport and, therefore, qualify for a Visa Exempt entry into the Kingdom thus giving you permission to stay for 30 days. If this is correct, you don't need to leave the Kingdom for a few days and then return to obtain a Visa Exempt entry for another 30 days. When you are in the Kingdom you can go to the local immigration office and apply for an extension (30 days) at the cost of 1,900 THB - much cheaper than cost of a return flight to a neighbouring country.
The only proviso to this information is that you should not have a long history of back-to-back Visa Exempt entries as immigration may think that you are not a tourist.
It's unlikely he will be allowed to board his flight from the UK if his return is > 30 days out and he has no visa or proof of onward travel < 30 days away.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Oldtiger
A normal South African passport only qualifies for a 30 day Visa Exempt entry into the Kingdom. I take it that as a FT Skywards Ambassador you qualify for a diplomatic passport which allows you 90 day visa free entry
​​​​​​Whoops I was sure my previous stamps were 90 days but indeed checking now they've got "30" stamped on top of them, should've checked before posting.

Other than having a maxi passport with more pages my passports are quite ordinary (they still fill up every 3-4 years on average)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by ft101
It's unlikely he will be allowed to board his flight from the UK if his return is > 30 days out and he has no visa or proof of onward travel < 30 days away.
Can always try a website like

https://onewayfly.com/en/

and book another flight. Can always cancel after entry. Much more cheaper than trying to visa hop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.