Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The ultimate EK Upgrade battle - follow live for next 60 hours!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate EK Upgrade battle - follow live for next 60 hours!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Why didn't you buy a J-ticket?
davidj1 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
Why didn't you buy a J-ticket?
Because I didn't have to
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Because I didn't have to
I LOVE THIS ANSWER - you've got to be ultra chill in real life!
thijsseh, gillyd22, m3red and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Nice to know you were able to upgrade on the lower total mileage. I'm in a similar situation - don't know if it's my imagination but EK seems to be leaving upgrades to the very last moment even on flights with plenty of seats.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
Woot! Congrats and loved following along!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Hope you're enjoying the ride and having plenty of Veuve mimosas!

My drink of choice flying now is the Negroni Sbagliato (Negroni but with champagne instead of gin), super tasty and low alcohol.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Happy to report I'm at CPT after a nice chauffeur pickup and holding BP for 2K!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by 7Continents
I LOVE THIS ANSWER - you've got to be ultra chill in real life!
sleeps like a baby after 3 pints
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red

sleeps like a baby after 3 pints
It was closer to 6, how long you gonna hold that against me?

On CPT-DXB and slept like a baby after 5 glasses of a lovely red wine. FLL coming up soon!

Been trying to upload a photo of the meal I had on the fkifli but unfortunately FT doesn't play nice with EK WiFi when it comes to image uploads (though otherwise the WiFi is working great).

If anyone wants to follow my Instagram story of the trip shoot me a PM for my username
m3red likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

T-45, sat near the gate, BP for 2K in hand and ready for the culmination of the most effort I've ever out into an upgrade (after a DXB-FRA flight last year for which I booked random hotels in rocket miles to earn the remainder of the miles I needed)

Below my lunch earlier on 773

thijsseh, Metanoia, m3red and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:55 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
T-45, sat near the gate, BP for 2K in hand and ready for the culmination of the most effort I've ever out into an upgrade (after a DXB-FRA flight last year for which I booked random hotels in rocket miles to earn the remainder of the miles I needed)

Sat near the gate at T-45. If I read this correctly, you were sitting near a gate for 45 hours???
I know you were keen to get into that new J seat, but really.....

Now seriously:
Was it a bus gate? I find the bus gate experience for J (and F) passengers quite underwhelming. I know that on the BP they 'direct' you to arrive rather late at the gate (about 20 minutes later than economy boarding). But usually I still arrive before the J bus is ready and you are asked to sit somewhere at the side of the gate until the bus appears (last week it was a combined J-F bus). The exit from the terminal to the bus is the same for all pax so it would be difficult to organise this differently. But maybe the J (and F) buses could be waiting and the passengers could wait on the bus instead of in the cate area.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Sat near the gate at T-45. If I read this correctly, you were sitting near a gate for 45 hours???
I know you were keen to get into that new J seat, but really.....

Now seriously:
Was it a bus gate? I find the bus gate experience for J (and F) passengers quite underwhelming. I know that on the BP they 'direct' you to arrive rather late at the gate (about 20 minutes later than economy boarding). But usually I still arrive before the J bus is ready and you are asked to sit somewhere at the side of the gate until the bus appears (last week it was a combined J-F bus). The exit from the terminal to the bus is the same for all pax so it would be difficult to organise this differently. But maybe the J (and F) buses could be waiting and the passengers could wait on the bus instead of in the cate area.
No regular gate, A17
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
No regular gate, A17
So direct boarding from J lounge.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by XXTSGR

So direct boarding from J lounge.
Yep + extra screening at gate for US departure
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by thijsseh
On my last bus gate departure, they had a Y bus and a J bus waiting, so they directed passengers to each with no waiting. Mind you, I've learned to ignore the premature "Final Call" warning EK does and arrive at the gate at T-25m (gate officially closes at T-20m).

But let me tell you what's really miserable: disembarking a whole A380 at a remote gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.