FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Rimowa E-Tag Bags Check In (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1922204-rimowa-e-tag-bags-check.html)

travelmonkey Jul 28, 2018 1:51 am

Rimowa E-Tag Bags Check In

Hey Guys,

Does anyone have any experience with checking this bag in, the RIMOWA E-TAG. I realise all batteries have to be removed( two AAA) but as you all may know the screens will stay frozen forever without any power.

Is this a problem with emirates?

Thank you

thijsseh Jul 28, 2018 2:04 am

Originally Posted by travelmonkey (Post 30021292)
Hey Guys,

Does anyone have any experience with checking this bag in, the RIMOWA E-TAG. I realise all batteries have to be removed( two AAA) but as you all may know the screens will stay frozen forever without any power.

Thank you

I don't know this bag.
Are these 'normal' AAA batteries?
Can you use non-Lithium batteries then?
The problem is with Li batteries, I would expect Alkaline batteries to be allowed (although there might not be a 'protocol' for that and all E-Bags might be seen as the same thing.

Daandeluxe Jul 28, 2018 2:50 am

Originally Posted by travelmonkey (Post 30021292)
Hey Guys,

Thank you

No worries about the e-tag, I’ve checked in numerous times with a RIMOWA e-tag suitcase including it’s battery.
My address details are on the screen and fully visible at all times...

hornillas1 Jul 29, 2018 6:14 am

No issues, once you remove the batteries.

However, if you are referring to using the Electronic Tag option for your luggage tag, instead of personal information, Emirates is not a participating member of the Electronic Tag technology.

Lufthansa Group and Eva Air are the only carriers who use the technology for check-in products.

Circusplaza Jul 29, 2018 6:18 am

Honestly guys my Rimowa comes out full of bumps once I get it from the belt...
Hesitant how this screen will do with the rough baggage handlers.

skywardhunter Jul 29, 2018 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Circusplaza (Post 30024259)
Hesitant how this screen will do with the rough baggage handlers.

Perhaps purchase a better quality bag, my carry-on survives just fine whenever I have to check it in

XXTSGR Jul 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Circusplaza (Post 30024259)

Isn't this the point of having an aluminium Rimowa suitcase?

I love mine and all their dents and scratches - with the content remaining protected at all times.

XXTSGR Jul 29, 2018 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30024480)
Perhaps purchase a better quality bag, my carry-on survives just fine whenever I have to check it in

I think OP is talking about hold luggage.

But in general - what 'better quality' luggage has there been for the past 60 or so years?

skywardhunter Jul 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by XXTSGR (Post 30025363)

I think OP is talking about hold luggage.

But in general - what 'better quality' luggage has there been for the past 60 or so years?

Yes I specified when I check it in. If it comes out with bumps and scratches and the OP doesn't want those....

Circusplaza Jul 30, 2018 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 30024480)

Better quality? There are, but not many...

Originally Posted by XXTSGR (Post 30025336)
Isn't this the point of having an aluminium Rimowa suitcase?
I love mine and all their dents and scratches - with the content remaining protected at all times.

Agree, I do not mind mine coming out with a few bumps, but the OP is having a screen, so I am sure the screens will break in a few time you check in

Daandeluxe Jul 30, 2018 11:30 pm

I’ve checked in my RIMOWA E-tag +/- 35 times and there is one (really, really, really) small mark on the screen....the screen itself is made of plastic so nothing to worry about in my opinion.
The case itself is full of bumps and scratches but in my opinion that’s the charm.

I do check my bag for cracks or big dents every time it comes from the belt.
I also travel with the original invoice so I can claim a repair directly if it has been damaged .

i do have to admit that I’m a platinum EK member and my bag is checked as priority first every time.
I also explicitly ask for a “fragile” and a “heavy” label to be attached, maybe that helps as well.

ioto1902 Aug 1, 2018 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Daandeluxe (Post 30030336)
I’ve checked in my RIMOWA E-tag +/- 35 times and there is one (really, really, really) small mark on the screen....the screen itself is made of plastic so nothing to worry about in my opinion.
The case itself is full of bumps and scratches but in my opinion that’s the charm.

I do check my bag for cracks or big dents every time it comes from the belt.
I also travel with the original invoice so I can claim a repair directly if it has been damaged .

i do have to admit that I’m a platinum EK member and my bag is checked as priority first every time.
I also explicitly ask for a “fragile” and a “heavy” label to be attached, maybe that helps as well.

Well, my luggages also get "FCL" and "Fragile" tag on each flight, but my hard suitcase doesn't last more than three years of intensive flying. It is a plastic shell, and not a metal shell though.
Each time, the plastic cracked when the luggage was half full, meaning that something very heavy was put above mine.

As a side remark, I always remove "heavy" tags at collection, as it attracts customs officer's attention.