Rimowa E-Tag Bags Check In

Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: qf Plat
Rimowa E-Tag Bags Check In

Hey Guys,

Does anyone have any experience with checking this bag in, the RIMOWA E-TAG. I realise all batteries have to be removed( two AAA) but as you all may know the screens will stay frozen forever without any power.

Is this a problem with emirates?

Thank you
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:04 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by travelmonkey
Hey Guys,

Does anyone have any experience with checking this bag in, the RIMOWA E-TAG. I realise all batteries have to be removed( two AAA) but as you all may know the screens will stay frozen forever without any power.

Thank you
I don't know this bag.
Are these 'normal' AAA batteries?
Can you use non-Lithium batteries then?
The problem is with Li batteries, I would expect Alkaline batteries to be allowed (although there might not be a 'protocol' for that and all E-Bags might be seen as the same thing.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, KLM Flying blue, Qatar Airways Privilege club, GHA Discovery
Originally Posted by travelmonkey
Hey Guys,

Thank you
No worries about the e-tag, Ive checked in numerous times with a RIMOWA e-tag suitcase including its battery.
My address details are on the screen and fully visible at all times...
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: M/M
No issues, once you remove the batteries.

However, if you are referring to using the Electronic Tag option for your luggage tag, instead of personal information, Emirates is not a participating member of the Electronic Tag technology.

Lufthansa Group and Eva Air are the only carriers who use the technology for check-in products.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Honestly guys my Rimowa comes out full of bumps once I get it from the belt...
Hesitant how this screen will do with the rough baggage handlers.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Circusplaza
Hesitant how this screen will do with the rough baggage handlers.
Perhaps purchase a better quality bag, my carry-on survives just fine whenever I have to check it in
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by Circusplaza
Isn't this the point of having an aluminium Rimowa suitcase?

I love mine and all their dents and scratches - with the content remaining protected at all times.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Perhaps purchase a better quality bag, my carry-on survives just fine whenever I have to check it in
I think OP is talking about hold luggage.

But in general - what 'better quality' luggage has there been for the past 60 or so years?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by XXTSGR

I think OP is talking about hold luggage.

But in general - what 'better quality' luggage has there been for the past 60 or so years?
Yes I specified when I check it in. If it comes out with bumps and scratches and the OP doesn't want those....
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Better quality? There are, but not many...

Originally Posted by XXTSGR
Isn't this the point of having an aluminium Rimowa suitcase?
I love mine and all their dents and scratches - with the content remaining protected at all times.
Agree, I do not mind mine coming out with a few bumps, but the OP is having a screen, so I am sure the screens will break in a few time you check in
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards, KLM Flying blue, Qatar Airways Privilege club, GHA Discovery
Ive checked in my RIMOWA E-tag +/- 35 times and there is one (really, really, really) small mark on the screen....the screen itself is made of plastic so nothing to worry about in my opinion.
The case itself is full of bumps and scratches but in my opinion thats the charm.

I do check my bag for cracks or big dents every time it comes from the belt.
I also travel with the original invoice so I can claim a repair directly if it has been damaged .

i do have to admit that Im a platinum EK member and my bag is checked as priority first every time.
I also explicitly ask for a fragile and a heavy label to be attached, maybe that helps as well.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by Daandeluxe
I’ve checked in my RIMOWA E-tag +/- 35 times and there is one (really, really, really) small mark on the screen....the screen itself is made of plastic so nothing to worry about in my opinion.
The case itself is full of bumps and scratches but in my opinion that’s the charm.

I do check my bag for cracks or big dents every time it comes from the belt.
I also travel with the original invoice so I can claim a repair directly if it has been damaged .

i do have to admit that I’m a platinum EK member and my bag is checked as priority first every time.
I also explicitly ask for a “fragile” and a “heavy” label to be attached, maybe that helps as well.
Well, my luggages also get "FCL" and "Fragile" tag on each flight, but my hard suitcase doesn't last more than three years of intensive flying. It is a plastic shell, and not a metal shell though.
Each time, the plastic cracked when the luggage was half full, meaning that something very heavy was put above mine.

As a side remark, I always remove "heavy" tags at collection, as it attracts customs officer's attention.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.