Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Operational Upgrades Experience 2018 - Please Post Here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Please post your 2018 Operational Upgrade Experiences in this thread.

Around the middle of 2016, Emirates modified their Operational Upgrade Policy favouring type of ticket over status holders, giving non status passengers on Flex and Flex Plus tickets an advantage over (for example) Silver members on a Saver ticket. During the latter half of 2016, less Op Ups were reported but we would still like to hear when they happen.

Link to the 2017 thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emir...ost-here.html#

Please use the following format for ease of reading and of course, discussion is still welcome.

Example:

Upgrade given: Y - J

Upgrade location: Gate

Route: BKK-DXB

Flight number: EK385

Type of ticket: Saver

Date of travel: 040115

Tier status: Gold

Tier miles to date: 18,000

Skywards miles balance: 80,000

Number of pax on the same PNR (Including OP): 1

Number of pax upgraded: 1

Safe & Happy Travels and May The Upgrade Gods Look Upon You.

Saltire74
Print Wikipost

Your Operational Upgrades Experience 2018 - Please Post Here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by bbhues
Apologies for a novice question, but does pre-selecting a seat in economy affect the likelihood of receiving an op up?
No, from as recently as two months ago. Selected at OLCI, changed to exit row at airport and upgraded in lounge. Next leg also selected at OLCI and could see upgraded seat while waiting for first flight (before first one had even been upgraded) and received new boarding pass in transit in DXB.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by sydtogla
Whats the fare difference between your Flex+ and J saver? It shouldn't be too outrageous on that route.

Thanks and good idea - it looks like it's about $1800 difference (per leg) between Flex+ and J saver (a little more than I would prefer to pay for an upgrade).
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:13 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by bbhues
Thanks and good idea - it looks like it's about $1800 difference (per leg) between Flex+ and J saver (a little more than I would prefer to pay for an upgrade).
Did you price that from the EK website or did you call? If the former, I'd suggest the latter! You've already paid taxes on the flight, as well as airport charges, fuel surcharge etc. The actual fare difference might be much lower.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by sydtogla
Did you price that from the EK website or did you call? If the former, I'd suggest the latter! You've already paid taxes on the flight, as well as airport charges, fuel surcharge etc. The actual fare difference might be much lower.

Thank you for the recommendation! It did not work this time, but I will have to remember that going forward.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:24 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Upgrade location: Check-in
Route: DXB-CMB
Flight number: EK348
Type of ticket: Economy Flex
Date of travel: Jul 18
Tier status: Blue
Tier miles to date: 13000
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:28 pm

Upgrade location: in transit from KUL at SIN, 2 hours before boarding

Route: SIN-MEL

Flight number: EK404

Type of ticket: FLEX

Date of travel: 051018

Tier miles to date: 25000

Skywards miles balance: 20000

Number of pax on the same PNR (Including OP): 1

Number of pax upgraded: 1
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:08 pm

Delight!

Upgrade given: J - F
Route: DXB-ICN
Flight number: EK322
Type of ticket: Business Flexplus
Date of travel: Oct 18
Tier miles to date: 52000
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: SkyTeam Plat, Bonvoy Plat
Route: CDG - DXB
Flight number: EK074
Type of ticket: Eco Flex Plus
Date of travel: Oct 21
Tier miles to date: 15000
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: EK - Skywards Gold
May god bless us on our next flight

Hello everyone,

I am still a novice and learning the ropes so please bear with me.

Upgrade given: Y – J

Fare Type: Flex

Route: DXB-JED

Tier Status: Blue

Notes:
This was my first time ever flying emirates, my route was Toronto to Jeddah and despite striking out at the Toronto airport, I hit the jackpot during boarding at DXB when the magic beep went off when they scanned my boarding pass and I was upgraded. They did offer me $1000 to upgrade the YYZ-DXB leg at the check-in gate but being a student, I don't have that kind of walking money. They also sent me an email for $300 to upgrade the DXB-JED leg but thankfully I got an op-up for that anyway.

First Class treatment at YYZ
I was travelling alone and since my dad is a platinum member, I downloaded his skywards card on my apple wallet and asked at YYZ if I could use it to skip the queues and use the first class lines for boarding, check-in, priority baggage tags, and use the premium plaza lounge at YYZ. To my delight the manager said I can do that since I am family. It was a great first-time experience and after a lot of research on this site I am now on the quest to get an op-up on my next flight from North America.

Current Events

I read that having gold status highly increases your chances to get an op-up, so I asked my dad to nominate me as his gold partner. I am planning my next trip right before Christmas when all the schools start their holidays.

Fellow members, I need your advice on whether to book my flight from JFK or YYZ. Which of these airports will maximise my chances of hearing that magic beep on the counter? I am going to be booking flex ticket and I can assume that the YYZ flights will be heavily booked being the only destination in Canada and operating only 5 Times a week as opposed to JFKs 21 weekly flights. I have also read that JFK is status heavy airport but I’m not sure how that plays out during Christmas when demand is high. Also, if anyone knows, what is Toronto like in terms of status passengers. I did read a couple posts of silver members getting op-upd and I would love to hear your thoughts and make an informed decision to bet against the odds (as ironical as it may sound). Thanks a lot!
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by sharik
Hello everyone,

I am still a novice and learning the ropes so please bear with me.

Upgrade given: Y – J

Fare Type: Flex

Route: DXB-JED

Tier Status: Blue

Notes:
This was my first time ever flying emirates, my route was Toronto to Jeddah and despite striking out at the Toronto airport, I hit the jackpot during boarding at DXB when the magic beep went off when they scanned my boarding pass and I was upgraded. They did offer me $1000 to upgrade the YYZ-DXB leg at the check-in gate but being a student, I don't have that kind of walking money. They also sent me an email for $300 to upgrade the DXB-JED leg but thankfully I got an op-up for that anyway.

First Class treatment at YYZ
I was travelling alone and since my dad is a platinum member, I downloaded his skywards card on my apple wallet and asked at YYZ if I could use it to skip the queues and use the first class lines for boarding, check-in, priority baggage tags, and use the premium plaza lounge at YYZ. To my delight the manager said I can do that since I am family. It was a great first-time experience and after a lot of research on this site I am now on the quest to get an op-up on my next flight from North America.

Current Events

I read that having gold status highly increases your chances to get an op-up, so I asked my dad to nominate me as his gold partner. I am planning my next trip right before Christmas when all the schools start their holidays.

Fellow members, I need your advice on whether to book my flight from JFK or YYZ. Which of these airports will maximise my chances of hearing that magic beep on the counter? I am going to be booking flex ticket and I can assume that the YYZ flights will be heavily booked being the only destination in Canada and operating only 5 Times a week as opposed to JFKs 21 weekly flights. I have also read that JFK is status heavy airport but I’m not sure how that plays out during Christmas when demand is high. Also, if anyone knows, what is Toronto like in terms of status passengers. I did read a couple posts of silver members getting op-upd and I would love to hear your thoughts and make an informed decision to bet against the odds (as ironical as it may sound). Thanks a lot!
1. Interesting, you shouldn't have e been allowed to use the benefits as a family member
2. Op-ups are rare, and it is a very opaque process. I have had my share over the years but on some routes (my most common one included, DXB-CPT and reverse) I've never had one (I'm Gold and always buy Flex). I'd say YYZ is better but don't count on ever getting an op-up.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:23 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
1. Interesting, you shouldn't have e been allowed to use the benefits as a family member
2. Op-ups are rare, and it is a very opaque process. I have had my share over the years but on some routes (my most common one included, DXB-CPT and reverse) I've never had one (I'm Gold and always buy Flex). I'd say YYZ is better but don't count on ever getting an op-up.
Sharik, welcome to FlyerTalk and especially the EK board!

I would like to agree with and even emphasise what skywardhunter says:

Of course your chances are better as Gold with a Flex ticket. But don't let your luck (because that's what it was!) on your DXB/JED flight fool you!
I have only had ONE op-up ever with Emirates and that was J to F as a Blue member (admittedly it was a Flex+ ticket as it was a very last minute change).
The Y cabin HAS to be overbooked for any op-ups to be given. And then that can be NO Plats there and also NO Gold members with Flex+ tickets. Only then is it your turn. My wife has had THREE op-ups in one year as Silver. We are now both Gold and nothing, nada. We certainly don't expect anything (not saying that on flights which 'look busy' we don't watch the light on the BP scanner with some anticipation but that's the nature of the frequent flyer)
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:57 am

Route: CAI-DXB
Flight number: EK926
Type of ticket: Economy Flex plus
Date of travel: Oct 18
Tier status: Silver
Tier miles to date: 26000

Was a last minute change and got a flex plus ticket. Asked at the check-in counter if there was an opportunity for an op-up, he called his manager and then confirmed. I knew it was a full flight as I was on waiting and got a last minute ticket.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: SkyTeam Plat, Bonvoy Plat
This is not an op-up upgrade, but rare enough to post it I guess.
I booked earlier this week a return ticket CDG-DXB, Eco Flex, departure in less than 3 weeks
I went on Emirates website to see my booking, and I was offered to upgrade to J with miles for the CDG-DXB leg. 39 000 miles + 40 €

Usually, this kind of offers is very rare, and happens a couple of days before the journey, not like 3 weeks before.

I took this offer
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Greglem
This is not an op-up upgrade, but rare enough to post it I guess.
I booked earlier this week a return ticket CDG-DXB, Eco Flex, departure in less than 3 weeks
I went on Emirates website to see my booking, and I was offered to upgrade to J with miles for the CDG-DXB leg. 39 000 miles + 40 €

Usually, this kind of offers is very rare, and happens a couple of days before the journey, not like 3 weeks before.

I took this offer
Not that unusual, many of us here regularly upgrade with miles, I just upgraded a flight for January with miles. It may be more rare on this route, but will be available every so often subject to loads.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Jet Airways JetPrivilege Platinum
Upgrade given: Y-J
Route: DXB-CCU
Flight number: EK570
Type of ticket: Economy Flexplus
Date of travel: 9 Nov 18

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.