Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK video "responds" to Electronics Ban

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic

EK already uploaded a video in response to electronics ban. Love it!

No doubt about it; ICE is the best IFE system out there. Never feel like I need my iPad on EK flights but would still like to carry it with me as I don' trust it being checked.

Last edited by kq747; Mar 21, 2017 at 11:37 am
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by kq747
EK already uploaded a video in response to electronics ban

Let us entertain you | Emirates Airline - YouTube

No doubt about it; ICE is the best IFE system out there. Never feel like I need my iPad on EK flights but would still like to carry it with me as I don' trust it being checked.
Genius.

They've worked fast on this one!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by kq747
EK already uploaded a video in response to electronics ban. Love it!

Feel the same way about my camera gear. Would love not to lug it through airports and check it in IF i knew it would arrive safely and undamaged at the other end. Unless I know my items will arrive intact and secure at the other end I am going to have to rebook several upcoming Emirate flights. Hopefully things will ease over the next few weeks.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Like the other posters, I carry on my laptop and tablet, because I don't want them to be damaged or stolen when in checked baggage.

I don't use them in flight, but prefer to have them with me, where I can make sure they are not handled roughly.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:16 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
To be fair, theft has never been a problem at DXB because of the level of automation of baggage handling.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
It's a stupid ban. Imagine if this concept was stretched to other parts of life just to make life safer?

And what about those of us who transit in Dubai on way to other countries from the US? Spending 4 or 6 hours in that airport without a laptop or IPAD would be hell. I like to get a lot of work done when I am in the airport.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by sydtogla
To be fair, theft has never been a problem at DXB because of the level of automation of baggage handling.
Even if DXB is not a problem, how about either of the points where I have to check in valuable and delicate equipment (in my case camera gear) such as JNB and the destination.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
+1

Tablets, phones, computers, cameras, all go in the cabin luggage.
Not only because of theft, but also because they are costly delicate items.

And, even if theft doesn't occur at DXB ('fact' to be proven), it can occur at outstations.

Anyway, I wonder if security is really higher in the cargo bay, rather than in the cabin.
Did they have intelligence that some terrorist will hide weapons in a 0,3 inch thick tablet ? (I don't mention explosives, as they are far easier to detect)
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:34 pm

There is even better way to respond then video about ICE:
Add free insurance for electronics in checked-in baggage, including data recovery(!). It can be limited that must be claimed at the arrival airport;

and create special luggage service for electronics (which will be handled very carefully)
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Trusty
There is even better way to respond then video about ICE:
Add free insurance for electronics in checked-in baggage, including data recovery(!). It can be limited that must be claimed at the arrival airport;

and create special luggage service for electronics (which will be handled very carefully)
My thoughts were some kind of gate-check for electronics in a special crate with a pad lock and the purser has the key and you get them back at the arrival gate.

Data recovery isn't going to happen
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:25 am
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
With the hand carry electronic ban in place, EK can say goodbye to their profits from North America. Did anyone say that they will be parking some of their Whales at DWC?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Why is an iPad mini so dangerous but an iPhone 7 Plus is OK.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
My thoughts were some kind of gate-check for electronics in a special crate with a pad lock and the purser has the key and you get them back at the arrival gate.

Data recovery isn't going to happen
Where is the need to put electronics under lock ?
Electronic devices are already put apart while passing 'x-ray'. Isn't it better to strengthen this stage ?

Ipad and laptops are not only to watch movies. Many businessmen work on them at the lounge or onboard.

Isn't this a conspiracy to sell more smartphones ?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
This is 100% not about security, so waiting for it to make sense could require more patience. This is 100% about the current administration fighting back against foreign subsidized competitors. There's really almost no other explanation.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by sydtogla
Theft is a problem at US entry points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.