FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   First Cabin CCTV Camera on A380 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1737861-first-cabin-cctv-camera-a380.html)

StrikeM Jan 10, 2016 12:12 am

First Cabin CCTV Camera on A380

Someone told me about this and I was like 'no way, I've never seen one'.

Then on a recent A380 flight I had looked around and saw an obvious CCTV camera placed in the bulkhead behind seats 3E & 3F.

This shocked me a bit as I'd never seen it before, and that it kind of goes against having the privacy of a suite.

So I have 4 questions for any EK insiders:

1. What is it for?
2. Who has access to the output?
3. Is it recorded?
4. What can be seen via the camera, is it looking into the central suites or over the top of them?

Thanks

ft101 Jan 10, 2016 12:50 am

Some previous discussions on this which may give answers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...l#post19555523

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...380-777-a.html

StrikeM Jan 10, 2016 1:01 am

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 25993050)

Thanks for that, people on the thread seem to be missing the point though....including ahem your goodself.

Firstly if you walk down the aisle you can't see into the suites unless you lean up against them and pop your head over. And then you only see the passengers head.

Secondly it's not about whether you want to do anything naughty in the suite, some sensitive private work gets done during flights.

And finally, I know the camera on the A380 is obvious when you know where to look, but the B777 is a shocking revelation.

I've used those suites to get changed before landing when the showers have been in use.

Why are First passengers not up in arms over this?

ft101 Jan 10, 2016 1:08 am

Originally Posted by StrikeM (Post 25993063)
Thanks for that, people on the thread seem to be missing the point though....including ahem your goodself.

Most definitely if the point is you expect total privacy. You're on public transport.

ioto1902 Jan 10, 2016 1:42 am

Originally Posted by StrikeM (Post 25992984)

Then on a recent A380 flight I had looked around and saw an obvious CCTV camera placed in the bulkhead behind seats 3E & 3F.

This shocked me a bit as I'd never seen it before, and that it kind of goes against having the privacy of a suite.

1. What is it for?
3. Is it recorded?
4. What can be seen via the camera, is it looking into the central suites or over the top of them?

Thanks

Yes I've noticed that before, and didn't really think much about it as it's probably for security reasons.
It should have an overview of the cabin, and not look into the suites.

I'll ask the purser next time.

As a personal side remark, there is no total privacy in the current EK F suites : just walk in the aisle (depending on your height ;)). The concept of privacy is that fewer persons will see your wake-up face :D:D

Fortunately, sir Tim is talking about a train-cabin style for new F (with doors getting higher). Even so, for security reasons, don't expect suites to be fully closed. A/C seats are not a privatized space (contrary to hotel rooms).

Antdenatale Jan 10, 2016 2:55 am

Originally Posted by StrikeM (Post 25992984)

1. What is it for?
3. Is it recorded?

Thanks

Now this does worry...I hope the recordings are secure as I would hate to see me on youtube in the near future under the heading 'Fat man tries to get into XL PJ's on Emirates flights'

I was told once that the camera from the bar area on the 380 is fed into the cockpit so the captain can keep watch if needed and put seatbelt sign on if there is any trouble.

Descending Jan 10, 2016 3:08 am

There are about 25 cctv in various locations throughout the A380 aircraft on both decks. They do not record any footage and can only be viewed 'live' without audio from the cockpit and the crew panel at ML1 and UL1 entry doors.

edy4eva Jan 10, 2016 3:14 am

The CCTV in F is only for when the crew has to be seated in order to have a view of the aisles, that's it. No F suite monitoring, no intrusion. Besides no attendant has the time to sit and watch when they have to prepare meals, clear trays, prepare for their training etc.

The video resolution is quite poor, displayed on a 6 or 7 inch screen which is a metre away from the crew seat facing it, add to that the fact that the cabin is dimmed for take off/landing and you'll get a pretty good idea of the stuff they can see, a faint view of the aisles -barely.

Descending Jan 10, 2016 3:16 am

The view from the camera is purely a cabin overview only and does not peer into 3E/F suites. In the first class cabin there is another view taken from 1E/F and together they cover the cabin. Though the pilots are mostly interested in watching the cameras within the first class galley to check that the cabin crew are not eating first class food without offering them first!

ioto1902 Jan 10, 2016 3:27 am

... Secondly it's not about whether you want to do anything naughty in the suite, some sensitive private work gets done during flights. ...

Anyway, I cannot see what naughty thing you can do in the cramped suite without being noticed by FAs or fellow passengers. Better do it in the shower room. :D:D
As for work, the suite is "private" enough. I'm not sure that people are able to read your documents through a CCTV. I'd be much worried about NSA.

... I've used those suites to get changed before landing when the showers have been in use. ...

In a closed suite, my modesty allows me to change clothes even if there is a slight possibility that EK personnel happens to be watching. Being not in the shower, I'll have my underwear on at all times. :p

Originally Posted by Antdenatale (Post 25993246)
Now this does worry...I hope the recordings are secure as I would hate to see me on youtube in the near future under the heading 'Fat man tries to get into XL PJ's on Emirates flights'

I was told once that the camera from the bar area on the 380 is fed into the cockpit so the captain can keep watch if needed and put seatbelt sign on if there is any trouble.

If ever, any video comes up in the net, EK would be facing a very serious issue, and they'd better not tackle it with some lousy miles and standard emails.
As for the camera, passenger cabin is under the responsibility of the purser. S/he will inform the captain if needed. The captain's role is not to peek regularly at onboard cameras ... unless he has groups of drunken Brits on board. :D:D:D

avcritic Jan 10, 2016 6:46 am

some sensitive private work gets done during flights.

I think ft101 summarized in one sentence. It is public transportation, don't expect any privacy.

BTW if you are dealing with intellectual property or sensitive info, you shouldn't be reading to typing while using free WiFi on planes, cafes,hotel or anywhere other than your corporate office WIRED network.

StrikeM Jan 10, 2016 6:59 am

Originally Posted by avcritic (Post 25993702)
I think ft101 summarized in one sentence. It is public transportation, don't expect any privacy.

BTW if you are dealing with intellectual property or sensitive info, you shouldn't be reading to typing while using free WiFi on planes, cafes,hotel or anywhere other than your corporate office WIRED network.

"Arrive inspired in First Class. Unwind in your own Private Suite....."

Emirates words not mine.

They are selling the idea that they are private, and they are not. If it was made clear about the cameras I wouldn't have a problem.

Plus when they serve the fish you can no longer have a cheeky wank......:p only kidding

eternaltransit Jan 10, 2016 7:00 am

It's not just in F - it's all across the A380, as mentioned by Descending - there is a big obvious one above the TV in the J bar.

As said:

1 - it's public transport
2 - the resolution is poor
3 - only the cockpit and the main cabin control panels can see it
4 - people are not so interesting that they are watched by crew on board: there are much better things to do :)
5 - drunk brits is more accurate than you might realise :D

eternaltransit Jan 10, 2016 7:03 am

Originally Posted by StrikeM (Post 25993746)
"Arrive inspired in First Class. Unwind in your own Private Suite....."

Emirates words not mine.

They are selling the idea that they are private, and they are not. If it was made clear about the cameras I wouldn't have a problem.

Plus when they serve the fish you can no longer have a cheeky wank......:p only kidding

The argument is that they are selling a private - aka, an individual product. They are not selling a product that offers secrecy and isolation. The cameras are not in individual suites, they have an overview of the cabin. In no way could you argue that you are buying an enclosed room on an aircraft, given that anyone can walk down the aisle and see what you're doing inside your suite at any time.

StrikeM Jan 10, 2016 7:03 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902 (Post 25993307)
In a closed suite, my modesty allows me to change clothes even if there is a slight possibility that EK personnel happens to be watching. Being not in the shower, I'll have my underwear on at all times. :p

Haha, speaking of the showers, have you ever used them? Getting out of one of them and seeing yourself in all your glory in that full floor to ceiling mirror does nothing for the self esteem let me tell you XD