FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   DXB design madness (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1736217-dxb-design-madness.html)

Dieuwer Jan 3, 2016 5:28 pm

DXB design madness

After a very nice flight in F, we arrive last night at a remote stand. Can happen, I think. No biggie. Well guess what, it took an outrageous 30 minutes snaking through the ENTIRE airport grounds to finally end up at a gate we could enter the terminal.
And that was not it.
My connection left from the A gates which was almost an HOUR hike! Finding your way among HUGE crowds, pushing and pulling in the train, etc.
What idiot designed this mess of an airport??
If you think LHR is bad, go to DXB!

edy4eva Jan 3, 2016 6:24 pm

Welcome to Dubai :)

aceboy44 Jan 3, 2016 10:37 pm

This is one of the major reasons why I stopped flying Emirates and fly with another airline ;)

Unnecessary inconvenience during transit in addition to the ridiculous prices they charge for their fares :rolleyes:

The purpose of an airport is to facilitate transferring passengers from point A to point B..... not turn it into a huge shopping mall.... Look at how simple is Muscat, Jeddah, and Kuwait Airport :)

Ahmed777 Jan 3, 2016 11:10 pm

I'd never go back to JED. Ever again. Ever. It's awful.

I thought you were back to EK again?

Emirates202 Jan 3, 2016 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by aceboy44 (Post 25957133)
This is one of the major reasons why I stopped flying Emirates and fly with another airline ;)

Unnecessary inconvenience during transit in addition to the ridiculous prices they charge for their fares :rolleyes:

The purpose of an airport is to facilitate transferring passengers from point A to point B..... not turn it into a huge shopping mall.... Look at how simple is Muscat, Jeddah, and Kuwait Airport :)

And tell me, are the number of people that pass through the airports you listed anywhere near the number of pax that pass through DXB?

m0hamed Jan 3, 2016 11:46 pm

Is this a joke?

Transferring between the North and South Terminal at JED requires a 21Km drive.

DYKWIA Jan 4, 2016 2:17 am

An hour to get to the A gates? I'm pretty sure it's never taken me more than 20 minutes!

Ahmed777 Jan 4, 2016 2:28 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 25957585)
An hour to get to the A gates? I'm pretty sure it's never taken me more than 20 minutes!

EK says it takes up to 45 minutes.

ukdoctor Jan 4, 2016 3:23 am

I can do it in 15-20 min as I know the layout well and use the escalators instead of using the lifts like the noobs

However for a first timer at DXB , I can see it easily taking double the time

eternaltransit Jan 4, 2016 3:23 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 25957585)

Possibly absurd queues at the security transit area - iirc, the F/J bus drop off at B/C has literally only 1 metal detector.

Uzair Jan 4, 2016 4:06 am

You said you were back to EK and were praising them not too long ago.

OP - unfortunately I cannot empathise as in all my years of travelling with EK I have never come to a remote stand!

aceboy44 Jan 4, 2016 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Ahmed777 (Post 25957201)
I thought you were back to EK again

Originally Posted by Uzair (Post 25957813)

Yes! I was indeed back to EK prior to my knowledge of increasing their fares. Last year I flew to KUL for approximately 135KD ^ Looking at the same route again, last week it was 220KD (almost double the price of last year,) and next week it is 188KD :eek: Why the sudden increase in prices over a short period of time? :eek: An incrase by 10 - 20% is understandble but 80 - 90%? That's too much! Anyways still I intend to fly EK until my silver membership expires (which should be pretty soon.)

Before some folks criticize me for posting the prices in KD, 1 KD is approximately $3.3 USD.

Originally Posted by Emirates202 (Post 25957261)
And tell me, are the number of people that pass through the airports you listed anywhere near the number of pax that pass through DXB?

I have transited in Doha twice, and having explored the whole huge terminal, at least I don't have to take a train to transfer between terminals, so the transit experience in Doha is much smoother, however, I just dislike QR (and why would I love them since I didn't get my silver tier? :rolleyes: )

I have also experienced Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur airports, and despite those two airports being huge, I'd still prefer to use them over Dubai airport since they are less crowded and the natural atmosphere or environment is more beautiful there.

Oh and regarding trains in HKG and KUL, at least the gates there don't close 20 minutes prior to departure based on my personal experience with them, so I don't feel the need of a rush/jogging ^

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 25957264)
Is this a joke?

Transferring between the North and South Terminal at JED requires a 21Km drive.

Why would passengers transit in Jeddah rather than Riyad if they are flying Saudi Arabia Airlines?

ioto1902 Jan 4, 2016 5:28 am

Dear OP, you now understand why so many of us in this community hate remote stand.

Climb down the A388 inner FWD stairs, then the Passenger Stairs in the summer heat (120+°F). Then the 15/20 min bus ride ... The bus may be extra comfortable (and extra cold), it just ruins everything.
On top of that, if transit time is short, if you have some duty-free purchases to do, and if you have loads of 388 pax lining for security check ... you just swear "never again".

Ahmed777 Jan 4, 2016 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Uzair (Post 25957813)

OP - unfortunately I cannot empathise as in all my years of travelling with EK I have never come to a remote stand!

How are you so lucky...

It's pretty much a guarantee these days that the flight from DUR is a remote stand (in my last 6 landings in DXB I've gotten a remote stand.

On December 21 we were on the ground for 55 minutes waiting for air traffic control to clear our plane for takeoff on EK775 to DUR.

It's crazy...

warakorn Jan 4, 2016 7:15 am

if you have some duty-free purchases to do,
I always wonder who is shopping there. These items are not really duty free because most often have to declare them with customs when landing at your final destination.