Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carryon baggage allowance? ...!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: DL EK QR TK
Originally Posted by jowlymonster
Having just done LHR>DXB>PEK and back, my hand luggage was not weighed at any point. This is probably because I specifically made sure it weighed 6.85kg before I left
I flew LAX-DXB in August. Scared to take on my carry-on and handbag so I checked the carry-on. Everybody else had 2 pieces of luggage and nobody at the gate cared how many or how much they weighed. I'll do the same thing on my return trip next month too. Don't need any issues. Glad it's a direct flight. Less likely to have a lost bag.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: DIAMANTAIRE EXTRAORDINAIRE
Had a lot of issues when I flew with them in July,
complained to them , got a copy & paste response.
my last ek flight , if I can choose !!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by SKOOBDO
I flew LAX-DXB in August. Scared to take on my carry-on and handbag so I checked the carry-on. Everybody else had 2 pieces of luggage and nobody at the gate cared how many or how much they weighed. I'll do the same thing on my return trip next month too. Don't need any issues. Glad it's a direct flight. Less likely to have a lost bag.
I wonder if this is true for all USA flights. I am traveling from IAD to DXB and would like to know if I can carry on a laptop book bag and a little basketball duffel bag. That will be two items.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by tallblazer124
I wonder if this is true for all USA flights. I am traveling from IAD to DXB and would like to know if I can carry on a laptop book bag and a little basketball duffel bag. That will be two items.
Depends on class of travel. In Economy, technically no, practically almost certainly yes.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Depends on class of travel. In Economy, technically no, practically almost certainly yes.
I am flying Economy. I guess its a chance that I will be taking if i bring my laptop bag and a duffel bag.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, QR privilege club Gold, Topbonus Gold
Subject to further confirmations but myself I have been told that as off now EK is enforcing this carry on gate check policy mainly on Africa + India sub-continent destinations/routes . - please let me know where you flying to when experiencing this at the gate ?

Some EK staff that was on duty at transit area sales ticketing office have been assigned for ‘scale at gate ‘ duty in order to maximize revenue ...

Dont quote me on that but also been told that if one pax is over the allowance for Y but has no check in luggage the chance of being penalized at the gate with over carry on hand luggage is almost nill since this targets pax with clear intent of carrying extra Kg’s to destination despite location (hault + hand bag).
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Bubus78
Subject to further confirmations but myself I have been told that as off now EK is enforcing this carry on gate check policy mainly on Africa + India sub-continent destinations/routes . - please let me know where you flying to when experiencing this at the gate ?

Some EK staff that was on duty at transit area sales ticketing office have been assigned for ‘scale at gate ‘ duty in order to maximize revenue ...

Dont quote me on that but also been told that if one pax is over the allowance for Y but has no check in luggage the chance of being penalized at the gate with over carry on hand luggage is almost nill since this targets pax with clear intent of carrying extra Kg’s to destination despite location (hault + hand bag).
Recent flights to India I've seen strict enforcement in DXB, blocking the priority access lane to the gate. They weigh and take credit card payment on the spot.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Recent flights to India I've seen strict enforcement in DXB, blocking the priority access lane to the gate. They weigh and take credit card payment on the spot.
Even for elites/J/F now? No bueno. My trips to Le Clos and Duty Free will be seriously curtailed (and EK owns Le Clos and probably DDF too so revenue loss either way).
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Metanoia
Even for elites/J/F now? No bueno. My trips to Le Clos and Duty Free will be seriously curtailed (and EK owns Le Clos and probably DDF too so revenue loss either way).
​​​​​​
no I meant they bring Y pax over to process them quicker as there are so few J and F pax, when I arrived to use the priority lane it was chock a block.

Not sure how strict they are in J pax, I've never been charged and often have over 10kg
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by Bubus78

Very true, something I have noticed number of times. In one flight to DAC, the agents were kind of hovering around as most passengers had gone through and , and the moment we appeared, one pointed to the other, and he rushed as if to pounce ; the body language was aggressive, but when he saw we were a "family", he turned back to the other guy and he motioned us through
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
As an F pax travelling to both Uganda and Ethiopia, i have had my carry-on weighed at the gate several times recently. I only ever take one backpack which holds laptop, hard drive and all those spare lithium ion batteries that can't go in the cargo hold. The bag usually weighs in at 8 to 9 kg. Apart from a stern look, I was not castigated or fined and allowed to board.

The silly thing is, I was laden down with a large amount of heavy duty free and this was completely ignored. It would easily have weighed 20kg. Duty free seems to be invisible most of the time and yet it is often considerably heavier than carry-on baggage.

It makes me wonder whether weight is really such an issue when so much additional weight is not quantified and allowed on board. Perhaps the weighing process is indeed a cash grab. Perhaps also, DDF doesn't want pax to consider weight when splashing their cash in duty free. It might significantly curtail sales.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by EKplat
As an F pax travelling to both Uganda and Ethiopia, i have had my carry-on weighed at the gate several times recently. I only ever take one backpack which holds laptop, hard drive and all those spare lithium ion batteries that can't go in the cargo hold. The bag usually weighs in at 8 to 9 kg. Apart from a stern look, I was not castigated or fined and allowed to board.

The silly thing is, I was laden down with a large amount of heavy duty free and this was completely ignored. It would easily have weighed 20kg. Duty free seems to be invisible most of the time and yet it is often considerably heavier than carry-on baggage.

It makes me wonder whether weight is really such an issue when so much additional weight is not quantified and allowed on board. Perhaps the weighing process is indeed a cash grab. Perhaps also, DDF doesn't want pax to consider weight when splashing their cash in duty free. It might significantly curtail sales.
I've seen gate staff tell pax to pay up or return their DDF purchases so they do definitely consider it sometimes. Perhaps if you're already quite over in hand baggage.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Yeah, that makes sense
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Radisson (Gold)
I fly MAN -> DXB + return about once per month. Quite often have an oversized and very overweight bag, and have never been stopped/weighed etc in over 40 flights.

I am actually currently looking for a slightly larger cabin bag to take advantage of the lack of enforcement.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ryanardo_daVinci
I fly MAN -> DXB + return about once per month. Quite often have an oversized and very overweight bag, and have never been stopped/weighed etc in over 40 flights.

I am actually currently looking for a slightly larger cabin bag to take advantage of the lack of enforcement.
From what I've seen at DXB T3 is that the hand luggage "control" is directed at the flights where people have a lot of accumulated shopping so predictably this would mean flights to Africa and those destinations where people come from to go to Dubai or elsewhere and load up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.