Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Forcing a multi-class flex booking on emirates.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK, BA, TG

I've been trying to book KUL-AKL in flex Y and returning in flex J but of course the emirates website only allows saver Y returning in flex J. When I phoned the emirates call centre the price they gave for the latter was far more than the price the website gave, and obviously the former was more expensive than that.

However, the person at the call centre suggested buying a flex Y return and then going into MMB and pay for the fare difference between flex Y and flex J, thus getting the itinerary I want whilst paying the cheaper website price.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? It seems too good to be true!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by yagamimo
I've been trying to book KUL-AKL in flex Y and returning in flex J but of course the emirates website only allows saver Y returning in flex J. When I phoned the emirates call centre the price they gave for the latter was far more than the price the website gave, and obviously the former was more expensive than that.

However, the person at the call centre suggested buying a flex Y return and then going into MMB and pay for the fare difference between flex Y and flex J, thus getting the itinerary I want whilst paying the cheaper website price.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? It seems too good to be true!
I would second the agent's suggestion.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 1:37 am

Programs: EK Gold
Be careful here if I were you. Changed a Flex booking myself online once and their online change system doesn't take into account whether you have a Flex or Saver ticket, nor does it display Flex or Saver for your new fare, so you could accidentally change your Economy flights to Saver without realising. I had Flex, changed online, got Saver after the change without realising (more like without being informed of it), and then had to pay MORE to get the Flex back, on top of the change fees I paid to make the change originally!
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:18 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by jfdxb
Be careful here if I were you. Changed a Flex booking myself online once and their online change system doesn't take into account whether you have a Flex or Saver ticket, nor does it display Flex or Saver for your new fare, so you could accidentally change your Economy flights to Saver without realising. I had Flex, changed online, got Saver after the change without realising (more like without being informed of it), and then had to pay MORE to get the Flex back, on top of the change fees I paid to make the change originally!
Aren't the miles displayed before you confirm the change on MMB.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK, BA, TG
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Aren't the miles displayed before you confirm the change on MMB.
I don't think so... but maybe I'm missing something?

Originally Posted by jfdxb
Thanks for the warning - the same thing nearly happened to me - I got to the pricing page and checked the fare conditions. As you mentioned, my flex fare had been changed to a saver fare for the Y route that I wasn't trying to change. I figured that there wasn't anything I could do, though, so I tried to pay... and got an error message. I called emirates and (after 50 minutes of explaining!) managed to keep my flex Y flight from KUL-AKL and upgrade the AKL-KUL as I had originally wanted at the price I expected from the website.

The weird thing is that if I had originally tried to book the whole itinerary over the phone it would have cost a lot more, but as I booked the flex Y first online, they could upgrade that ticket using the website price.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.