Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Booking, EK Flight Number, QF Metal, Lounge Access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Hello

My first posting here, so please be gentle...

In December we are booked to fly LHR-SYD via DXB on EK5102 / EK5002 on J class tickets booked through EK. Both these legs are on Qantas metal (QF2?)

Has anyone here had experience of what the situation is in respect of Lounge access at LHR? My understanding is that you can decide which of the J class lounges you wish to use, though EK recommend you use the one more directly associated with the airline operating the flight. They confirmed as much to me in a reply to a query stating

"Please note that Business Class passengers flying with Qantas flights are allowed to use the Emirates Business Class lounge.

However, as mentioned on our below communication we recommend that you use the lounge of the operating airline to ensure convenient gate proximity and access to boarding calls and other flight information when departing from an airport with both an Emirates lounge and a Qantas lounge."

However, someone I know who was flying J class on EK 5102 last week from LHR was denied entry to the EK lounge and told to go to the lounge that QF share with others at T3.

Has anyone here had experience of this? Is this just a matter of the arrangements bedding in or have I missed something in the t&c?

Thanks

Paul
Old May 6, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Welcome to FT!

I believe you are correct in your understanding that you can access either lounge but the airlines prefer you to use the lounge of the operating carrier. On my experience of the EK/QF codeshare this suited me as I was in QF F ex SYD
With reference to the experience you describe it may have been that the lounge guardian did not fully understand the rules (not unknown) or that the EK lounge was very full and they were trying to manage capacity (the lounge does get busy in the evening but so does the BA lounge which is the obvious alternative - although the AA lounge is availble).
Old May 6, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by Pjh104
Hello

My first posting here, so please be gentle...

In December we are booked to fly LHR-SYD via DXB on EK5102 / EK5002 on J class tickets booked through EK. Both these legs are on Qantas metal (QF2?)

Has anyone here had experience of what the situation is in respect of Lounge access at LHR? My understanding is that you can decide which of the J class lounges you wish to use, though EK recommend you use the one more directly associated with the airline operating the flight. They confirmed as much to me in a reply to a query stating

"Please note that Business Class passengers flying with Qantas flights are allowed to use the Emirates Business Class lounge.

However, as mentioned on our below communication we recommend that you use the lounge of the operating airline to ensure convenient gate proximity and access to boarding calls and other flight information when departing from an airport with both an Emirates lounge and a Qantas lounge."

However, someone I know who was flying J class on EK 5102 last week from LHR was denied entry to the EK lounge and told to go to the lounge that QF share with others at T3.

Has anyone here had experience of this? Is this just a matter of the arrangements bedding in or have I missed something in the t&c?

Thanks

Paul
I'd suggest you take a copy of the reply from EK to the lounge. Have not had personal experience, however you have it in black and white from EK.
Good luck
Old May 7, 2013, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Someone travelling soon on EK metal has volunteered to take the question directly to the lounge guardians....
Old May 15, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, VS
Currently in the LHR lounge endeavouring to reduce the Emirates Veuve Clicquot stock!

One of the "all powerful" at the door has just told me that people flying in J/F on a EK code share flight number on QF metal will NOT be allowed in the EK lounge.

Hmmmmm.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dogsrock
Currently in the LHR lounge endeavouring to reduce the Emirates Veuve Clicquot stock!

One of the "all powerful" at the door has just told me that people flying in J/F on a EK code share flight number on QF metal will NOT be allowed in the EK lounge.

Hmmmmm.
Thanks Mr DR. I feel an old fashioned letter coming on. Plenty of time to get this sorted...

Have fun in the Southern Hemisphere and leave some of the Hunter Valley for us to sample....
Old May 15, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV

Hmmmmm.
If in F I would take the BA Galleries F over the EK lounge. IMHO the food offerings in the dining room and the wines are better (the reverese to the situation onboard). I prefer the EK lounge to BA Galleries Club though...
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Hmmmmm.
Confirmed by a QF agent...oh woe is me..
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
EK must be the operating carrier to get lounge access on a codeshare.

Other day in DXB I was flying DXB-MCT, booked with EK flight number, operated by Oman Air - the computer said no when lounge dragon tried to scan boarding pass. She explained that EK require you to use the lounge of the operating carrier.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but it looked most relevant to the question I am trying to answer. Have an upcoming codeshare flight LHR - DXB in J. EK booking, EK flight number, QF metal.

Which lounge (or lounges) can I access at LHR (the rules may have changed since 2013)?

Thanks
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Xenon2010
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but it looked most relevant to the question I am trying to answer. Have an upcoming codeshare flight LHR - DXB in J. EK booking, EK flight number, QF metal.

Which lounge (or lounges) can I access at LHR (the rules may have changed since 2013)?

Thanks
When is your flight? EK lounge is the obvious choice but if you're flying in July-August you can use the brand new QF lounge which will be a real winner. It's not open yet.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by sydtogla
When is your flight? EK lounge is the obvious choice but if you're flying in July-August you can use the brand new QF lounge which will be a real winner. It's not open yet.
Flight is 30 June, so will likely miss it. Can I use the EK lounge if on QF metal?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Xenon2010
Flight is 30 June, so will likely miss it. Can I use the EK lounge if on QF metal?
No, the LHR-exception is still in effect, iirc - at LHR you have to use the lounge of the operating carrier, which is EK for EK or BA for QF.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Can you also use the CX lounge if on a QF operated, EK ticketed flight? If so, their F and J lounges are superb
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Can you also use the CX lounge if on a QF operated, EK ticketed flight? If so, their F and J lounges are superb
If the CoS is J/F, then yes. The operating airline rules apply in this case. Open access to CX, QF, AA and BA lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.