FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Second daily flight to Glasgow announced (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1300745-second-daily-flight-glasgow-announced.html)

albaonthego Jan 10, 2012 4:48 am

Second daily flight to Glasgow announced

Glasgow Airport have just announced a second daily Emirates flight from Glasgow to Dubai with a First Class cabin on both flights. http://tinyurl.com/6te2r8e

S c 0 TT y Jan 10, 2012 5:01 am

Emirates Routes & Changes thread

ft101 Jan 10, 2012 12:57 pm

Any chance this has been announced today to beat an EY announcement next week when Alex Salmond (First Minister) is in Abu Dhabi?

freakstar Jan 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by ft101 (Post 17787207)
Any chance this has been announced today to beat an EY announcement next week when Alex Salmond (First Minister) is in Abu Dhabi?

Or QA: Salmond is also expected to use his visit to Abu Dhabi next week to attend a global energy forum to confirm a new air route between Scotland and the Middle East, providing a second direct link to the region, in addition to the Glasgow-Dubai connection. Salmond has recently visited Qatar, which will host the football World Cup in 2022 and Qatar Airways has expressed an interest in running services to either Glasgow or Edinburgh.

ft101 Jan 10, 2012 3:54 pm

EK25/26 on the website for booking now, although I don't think they've got the prices sorted out yet!

S c 0 TT y Jan 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Also to note - as this is the first time ever a 'first class' service is operating at a Scottish airport, the airport authorities are considering creating a first class lounge (EK lounge? - that would be nice now wouldn't it!).

Source: Scotsman

tmckinnin Jan 11, 2012 5:39 am

how many scots will pay for first class as business class gets filled up I can't see first class being full as not many scots are rich actually most of the time scots are poor so how many people in scotland will pay for first class

also how long as this plan has been in the works, bet anything this has been planned for years and always have been ready to launch but they were waiting for the BAA competition ruling to see whether if glasgow or edinburgh would be sold

also it would be great if qatar airways would launch a service as well that would be awesome

so I guess the next question how long before we glasgow gets a third service either a early morning service or late evening one, maybe not or not for a long while until how well the 2nd service does

also 12 jobs what will the 12 jobs consist of i think night shift during when emirates lands in the night from customer service to ground handlers.

A A340-300 why that aircraft they could use an 340-500 or a 777-200LR both have first class as well

good news anyway

gw76 Jan 11, 2012 5:40 am

Its not, loads of airlines have offered First before including LH and UA

S c 0 TT y Jan 11, 2012 6:02 am

Originally Posted by tmckinnin (Post 17791629)
how many scots will pay for first class as business class gets filled up I can't see first class being full as not many scots are rich actually most of the time scots are poor so how many people in scotland will pay for first class

also how long as this plan has been in the works, bet anything this has been planned for years and always have been ready to launch but they were waiting for the BAA competition ruling to see whether if glasgow or edinburgh would be sold

also it would be great if qatar airways would launch a service as well that would be awesome

so I guess the next question how long before we glasgow gets a third service either a early morning service or late evening one, maybe not or not for a long while until how well the 2nd service does

also 12 jobs what will the 12 jobs consist of i think night shift during when emirates lands in the night from customer service to ground handlers.

A A340-300 why that aircraft they could use an 340-500 or a 777-200LR both have first class as well

good news anyway

I forgot that first class services were only offered to Scots. If any other nationality tried to book a 1st ticket, the system would refuse it because they weren't Scottish. Stop talking out your backside, sir. Sure, its a given that the 1st seats won't be as busy but there will always be a few people who would pay the first ticket and/or use miles to upgrade - business travelers ring a bell?

As far as Scots not being rich - generalising a bit too much? Thats your opinion. I'm sure EK have done their research in regards to what people want - if not, im sure it won't be difficult removing a 1st offering from 1 of the 2 flights if the response isn't good.

ung1 Jan 11, 2012 6:12 am

The thing about a strong First product that appeals to frequent F flyers is availability on all routes. You can't be like Qatar, offer it on 5 routes, and then expect good loads. Obviously this varies by route, but as the network grows it becomes easier to fill up cabins.

Anyway you don't need to be exceedingly rich to fly F. Depending on where you start your journey, you could be paying half what someone ticketing ex DXB would pay.

gw76 Jan 11, 2012 6:27 am

First ex GLA will unlikely carry any full fare paying pax, will be used as an incentive for FF and will be full of honeymooner upgrades. Excellent none the less. Hopefully chat of a First Lounge at GLA will have formed part of the negotiations

chunk73 Jan 11, 2012 6:56 am

Originally Posted by gw76 (Post 17791795)
First ex GLA will unlikely carry any full fare paying pax, will be used as an incentive for FF and will be full of honeymooner upgrades. Excellent none the less. Hopefully chat of a First Lounge at GLA will have formed part of the negotiations

Originally Posted by tmckinnin (Post 17791629)

good news anyway

Thats what they said about Manchester, 'where is the demand?' - yet two out of their three flights are 3 class and have been for a while.

Why would EK put First on a route if they know that only upgrades will get the seats? Seems commercially naive to me so I sense that is nonsense.

And as for most Scots being poor.....hells teeth......don't even know where to start with that one. First, as has been pointed out already, not everyone using planes to and from Scotland is Scottish. It would be quite unique in the world of air travel were that the case.

Second - its claptrap anyway. There is poverty everywhere in the UK yet the world keeps spinning and the number of people travelling by air keeps growing.....partly because companies like EK have brought the cost of flying down. Do you have any idea what it cost to fly from Scotland to DXB in the early 80's, when the competition was a lot less fierce?

gw76 Jan 11, 2012 7:16 am

Originally Posted by chunk73 (Post 17791914)
that only upgrades will get the seats? Seems commercially naive to me so I sense that is nonsense

Nope it is a well recognised and commericially sensible technique which others particulary BA use to their advantage.

chunk73 Jan 11, 2012 8:29 am

It is a commercially sensible thing to do if you have a spare seat or two, not to fill a cabin.

Why would you bother when you could get more business or economy seats in and increase your revenue from the flight instead, if you know you aren't going to sell the First seats anyway?

Unless i am missing something here.....

DYKWIA Jan 11, 2012 10:33 am

Wow - the lunatics seem to have got to this thread as well :D