FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   No Champagne on the Ground? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1286444-no-champagne-ground.html)

UAworldwide Dec 1, 2011 8:17 am

No Champagne on the Ground?

I recently flew IST-DXB (first time on this leg for me) and CAI-DXB (many many times per year on this leg) and no champagne was served on the ground. Only apple or orange juice. I asked, and was told it was the airport rules. Any one else have this happen, or know why the rules recently changed for these airports? My flights from DXB all still had champagne served. Just curious...

ukdoctor Dec 1, 2011 9:49 am

Originally Posted by UAworldwide (Post 17546640)
I recently flew IST-DXB (first time on this leg for me) and CAI-DXB (many many times per year on this leg) and no champagne was served on the ground. Only apple or orange juice. I asked, and was told it was the airport rules. Any one else have this happen, or know why the rules recently changed for these airports? My flights from DXB all still had champagne served. Just curious...

In some countries champagne is served only after the aircraft doors are closed. In a few others it is after take off. I dont have any experience in IST but in all Indian airports like DEL, BLR they serve it only after take off. In saudi arabia Ive been told that it can served only after the aircraft leaves saudi airspace( though the time taken to leave saudi airspace is remarkably quick;):D:D )

Zol Dec 1, 2011 3:10 pm

I've had it served on the ground at both IST and CAI last year!

Infact at CAI, they popped the Dom on the ground which they usually don't do

dahlmann123 Jan 3, 2012 11:54 am

DEL-DXB on 777-200 at 11 am service in November 2011 we had champagne on the ground and I had plenty since my seat did not work - not even the massage function - the bubbles made in finally instead...

Uli Jan 3, 2012 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor (Post 17547266)
In some countries champagne is served only after the aircraft doors are closed. In a few others it is after take off. I dont have any experience in IST but in all Indian airports like DEL, BLR they serve it only after take off. In saudi arabia Ive been told that it can served only after the aircraft leaves saudi airspace( though the time taken to leave saudi airspace is remarkably quick;):D:D )

RUH-DXB they do not serve alcohol at all "due to law". this is of course ........ as after leaving saudi airspace it would be no problem.

GigoloArt Jan 3, 2012 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Uli (Post 17739757)
RUH-DXB they do not serve alcohol at all "due to law". this is of course ........ as after leaving saudi airspace it would be no problem.

Even after leaving Saudi airspace the aircraft stays try. However, it is EK-specific. On other airlines leaving RUH, they serve alcohol once the door closes (and still on tarmac).

ukdoctor Jan 3, 2012 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by dahlmann123 (Post 17738964)
DEL-DXB on 777-200 at 11 am service in November 2011 we had champagne on the ground and I had plenty since my seat did not work - not even the massage function - the bubbles made in finally instead...

you are right. They did serve me champagne on the ground at COK last week. They never used to do that before and used to wait till take off or at least till the doors were closed. I wonder if the rules regarding liquor in aircraft have been relaxed in Indian airports???

ung1 Jan 3, 2012 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by dahlmann123 (Post 17738964)

Originally Posted by ukdoctor (Post 17740546)
you are right. They did serve me champagne on the ground at COK last week. They never used to do that before and used to wait till take off or at least till the doors were closed. I wonder if the rules regarding liquor in aircraft have been relaxed in Indian airports???

Interesting. Flew SQ DEL-SIN yesterday and they said they were unable to serve champagne before take off due to customs regulations. Had to drink water. :eek:

Anyway, made up for it with more than a few glasses once airborne, though annoyingly, I had to keep asking for a refill.

ukdoctor Jan 4, 2012 12:37 am

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 17742106)
Interesting. Flew SQ DEL-SIN yesterday and they said they were unable to serve champagne before take off due to customs regulations. Had to drink water. :eek:

Anyway, made up for it with more than a few glasses once airborne, though annoyingly, I had to keep asking for a refill.

maybe it depends on how new the crew is ???:D:D:D

Uli Jan 4, 2012 1:02 am

yes, SQ and CX sometimes dont serve it on the ground, even in USA, due to custom regulations. but in that case, they should just buy some duty-paid champaign for the service on the tarmac, like other airlines do. it is just a cust cutting measure.

for RUH, serving on the tarmac even after doors closed is very very dangerous. i only from out private jet ops that it makes sense to leave saudi airspace. in saudi airspace, alcohol is simply not allowed and alcohol containers need to be sealed. if you take off, have a problem and need to return to the airport without leaving saudi airspace and all seals are broken, you will really get into trouble.

W Nippert Jan 4, 2012 1:39 am

Maybe for nearly all commercial airlines it is clear that - even in an emrgency - they would avoid a Saudi airport at all costs ;)

GigoloArt Jan 4, 2012 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Uli (Post 17743279)
for RUH, serving on the tarmac even after doors closed is very very dangerous. i only from out private jet ops that it makes sense to leave saudi airspace. in saudi airspace, alcohol is simply not allowed and alcohol containers need to be sealed. if you take off, have a problem and need to return to the airport without leaving saudi airspace and all seals are broken, you will really get into trouble.

The airline I am referring to is ME (Middle East Airlines) from Lebanon. (It is a running gag among colleagues to say that:) "They probably know someone". ;)

Cheetah_SA Jan 6, 2012 3:10 am

Another data point: No bubbly until doors closed (which translates to after take-off, at least in J - not sure about F) at MLE.

ung1 Jan 6, 2012 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA (Post 17758864)
Another data point: No bubbly until doors closed (which translates to after take-off, at least in J - not sure about F) at MLE.

I'm pretty sure there was champagne on the ground at MLE last year when eightblack and I did our MR in F. I know I was having a cappuccino, but I'm pretty sure he was drinking Dom.

calvinoeh Jan 6, 2012 6:42 am

There's definitely bubbly on the ground in F in Male.