Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Weather cancellations for US departures: compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Does it matter any more?

Where do I find the rules for compensation if emirates cancels a flight departing the US because of weather?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
From my experience, there weren't compensations provided for weather-related cancellations. EK simply put me on the next available flight out of my origin.
becks1, boss315 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Say I’m booked to fly out of ORD tomorrow. The incoming bad weather causes Ek to cancel the flight. The next two flights out of ORD are booked solid

Hypothetically,
1. I stay at a hotel in ORD until EK finds me space
2. They have space out of SFO

In the First case, am I fully responsible for the hotel costs?

In the second case, am I fully responsible for the positioning flights that get me to SFO from ORD (+any hotel costs)?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Yes and yes
becks1, boss315 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I’m not a regular on emirates . Helping a bunch of friends that are stuck in ORD
Old Dec 22, 2022, 4:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

In the US - you're generally on the hook for anything weather related. If departing from Europe, EK would be responsible for hotel accommodation and other "duty of care" items (taxies etc.).
becks1 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
In the US - you're generally on the hook for anything weather related. If departing from Europe, EK would be responsible for hotel accommodation and other "duty of care" items (taxies etc.).
And also, if the flights would been on an European airline (or should I say "Community Carrier" to follow the regulation vocabulary?) then these "duty of care" provisions would apply also for flights from US (to Europe), but alas since EK is from UEA these rules do not apply and I don't think there is anything similar in UAE legislation.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Say EK's next available seats out of ORD were to be on 12.30.

If I were to find seats from another US airport EK operates to (e.g. IAH) for an earlier date (e.g. 12.24 or 12.25) and were to book, say, a United flight ORD-IAH, could I use the interline agreement EK & UA setup recently to have my bags checked through all the way to DXB (or my final destination) when checking in at ORD?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.