Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about Emirates and the Skywards program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Emirates you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/Emirates Skywards Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by itsMoe
Hi everyone, I'll be on an EK 773 in business for the first time in a couple of weeks. I'm familiar with their business product on the A380, but the 773 is new to me. Other than the lack of a bar, and what would appear to be angled rather than fully lie flat seats, what differences can I expect? Thank you!
Better service!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

It's the -300ER, sorry, I should've specified. That means newer ICE then? Oh and I got an aisle seat, so I won't be doing the jumping
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

Oh and I got an aisle seat, so I won't be doing the jumping
.....in which case best hope for an agile, non-fidgety neighbour

Always tricky to decide between window or aisle in such configs.....
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:33 pm

It's the -300ER, sorry, I should've specified. That means newer ICE then?
Not guaranteed. There are several -300ERs with "old" ICE.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:38 am

It's the -300ER, sorry, I should've specified. That means newer ICE then? Oh and I got an aisle seat, so I won't be doing the jumping
You're more likely to get a newer version of ICE on a 77W, but as ft101 said, there are a few with the old versions floating about that get sent all over the place.

However, the silver lining is that most of the old 77Ws with old ICE are being retrofitted first with wifi and live tv (pretty much BBC News and Sport 24).

So what you want to hope for is not being stuck on an old 77W which hasn't yet had wifi or live tv retrofitted, of which there are one or two out there!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Fingers crossed that my neighbor is agile and the entertainment is up to date
Old Dec 22, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum
Expiring Emirates Miles

Good day all. I have 18,750 Skyward miles that will expire in March 2015. I probably won't catch an Emirates flight anytime soon. Is there a way I can used the miles for say, a couple of nights in a hotel?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: EK - Silver
Hi All - Newbie tier miles question that i hope someone can help with...

My wife and i are both Skywards members, and CC holders. We signed up last year.

We both have our own accounts, both with about the same stats:

Current Tier level - Blue - 19500
Skywards - 91000K

We plan to be travelling to BKK from HRW 16th April, with a return 2nd May.

We are flying out Economy, returning Business (on the 2nd).

Now my question, i have on my account page:
You require 5,500 additional Tier Miles by 30 Apr 15 to reach Silver (includes future bookings*).

I wish move up a tier to Silver, but we return on the 2nd May. My outgoing flight will not take us to 25,000 more like 23,000. While the return on the 2nd will be about another 10,000 miles added.

Would anyone know whether Emirates would allow me to move up to Silver, even though i'm 2 days outside the date?

Many thanks, Matt
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Matt.Edwards
Would anyone know whether Emirates would allow me to move up to Silver, even though i'm 2 days outside the date?
In most people's experience, the system automatically moves one up the next tier if you are <1000 miles short. Best would be to write to Skywards explaining to them your situation and requesting for an upgrade to silver.

Note that since tier qualification works on a rolling 13 month period, you may actually qualify for Silver on completing your trip in May in J, depending on how you have earned your tier miles. Count the tier miles earned from 1-May-14 until 2-May-15 and if >25,000 you will make silver.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: EK - Silver
Hi Jackiedada, thanks for getting back to me so quickly.....

So in Sept 14, we had a flight that we were rewarded 13,500, so assuming we get the same allowance for a flight in April/May, this qualifies us for Silver?

Thanks, Matt

Last edited by Matt.Edwards; Dec 23, 2014 at 9:19 am
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Matt.Edwards
So in Sept 14, we had a flight that we were rewarded 13,500, so assuming we get the same allowance for a flight in April/May, this qualifies us for Silver?
Correct!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Hi all, just redeemed my AS miles for a sfo-dxb-sin for me, my wife and our 15 month old (as infant in lap), all on a380 first. Wanted to experience it before she turns two as ek never releases more than two seats in the forward cabin, and I've never paid and never can pay for traveling in F or even birdies in the foreseeable future.

Wondering what the best seats for our family would be.

She's a reasonably well traveled kid and just dozes off on long flights..
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by harishv79
Hi all, just redeemed my AS miles for a sfo-dxb-sin for me, my wife and our 15 month old (as infant in lap), all on a380 first. Wanted to experience it before she turns two as ek never releases more than two seats in the forward cabin, and I've never paid and never can pay for traveling in F or even birdies in the foreseeable future.

The E/F seats are best for couples...
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by harishv79

Really hope I'm not on your flight to sin.

No offence but kids in f make me shudder.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:31 am

Transit Questions for New Emirates Flyer --DXB

Hi, a new first time Emirates pax flying IAD-DXB-NBO in "J" class with two carry-ons. (very nice folks here helped with me that as well) Arrive 7amish; leave 9:40 for NBO, arrival late afternoon.

I would appreciate someone walking me through arrival and transit at DXB, as I always like to know what is ahead to be prepared. I called Emirates and was told to ask the person at the gate; I'd rather know 12 hrs beforehand! I chose an aisle seat in row 7, as the 6 row was blocked.Hope that is decent. Should I try to get row 6 if possible? I get up a bit so like an aisle.

SO could a frequent Emirates pax advise me - does the 777-300ER park out on tarmac and paxs bused in? How long does that take. Upon entering the transit area, where do I go - security? or immigration as well? Are there special lanes etc for Business Class? From what I read the terminal is crowded and rushed so I am already getting anxious! Flying in for an expensive safari gives me nightmares of missed connections; one reason I chose Emirates was not flying through Europe which has delayed me more than once.

Will I have time to go to the lounge to freshen up? IS 2hrs. 20 min sufficient time to transit.

I realize these ?? may seem simple to experts, but I have never been to a Middle Eastern airport; traveling alone I'd like to arrive with some knowledge of what to expect.

Do all international flights go out of same terminal, or will I be on a train or bused somewhere else? I arrive in T-3 according to the agent on the phone and leave out of T-3 but for all know gates could be miles apart. Someone who knows the terminal might help with this one.

On return, I have a 3.5 hr layover; so I'd like to use the lounge for a quick shower after 12 days in the bush. IS that possible?

Thank you so much for any assistance with my anxieties

One more question for flying out of IAD - since my Global Entry does not work with Emirates (as they never asked for my known traveler number) is there a special lane for Biz at security; and afterwards is there a lounge at 8am - or is that to early for one to open for taking off?

Lots of questions; thank so much.

Appreciate the help. I know - I need to calm down I am" Post Holiday" hungover!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.