FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   OT: Israir To Cancel TLV - NYC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/848532-ot-israir-cancel-tlv-nyc.html)

ly787 Jul 25, 2008 4:30 am

OT: Israir To Cancel TLV - NYC

I got a "heads up" on this a few days ago, but it wasnt confirmed.

This morning Ha'aretz reported that Israir wil stop operating TLV - NYC after the summer season.
They claim its because of the rising fuel cost.

I think it also has do with ISRAIR not being considered a good airline by most Israelis. And they havent done a good job trying to change that concept.

ISRAIR only recently received an A330 for the route, so guess they will need to give it back to the leasing company.

Im not surprised, I'm not really impressed by that airline.

In hebrew:

http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/page...ubContrassID=0

clubman Jul 25, 2008 4:56 am

You forgot the OT in your title... :)

Wiirachay Jul 26, 2008 3:41 pm

Ani lo mevin :(

Was looking for the "English" button on the web site.

oresh Aug 1, 2008 8:34 am

Most importantly, the prices on that line tanked after Delta entered and Israir returned to operate. In April I found an $800 CO nyc-tlv flight ...

Originally Posted by ly787 (Post 10093991)
I got a "heads up" on this a few days ago, but it wasnt confirmed.

This morning Ha'aretz reported that Israir wil stop operating TLV - NYC after the summer season.
They claim its because of the rising fuel cost.

I think it also has do with ISRAIR not being considered a good airline by most Israelis. And they havent done a good job trying to change that concept.

ISRAIR only recently received an A330 for the route, so guess they will need to give it back to the leasing company.

Im not surprised, I'm not really impressed by that airline.

In hebrew:

http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/page...ubContrassID=0

craz Aug 1, 2008 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by oresh (Post 10132899)
Most importantly, the prices on that line tanked after Delta entered and Israir returned to operate. In April I found an $800 CO nyc-tlv flight ...

DL is anything but Cheap. Even TowerAir had to close up. When you run something 1/2 A$$ed, then like Tower when you cant keep to flight times and planes get CXed or delayed like the sun rises whst do you expect.

I dont want them to CX the flight as it keeps everyone else in check, never flew them , never will even if they stick around

LXA350 Aug 1, 2008 12:57 pm

Will they keep their A330 and use it on other routes or will it returned to the leasing company / Eurofly?

foogile Aug 3, 2008 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by LXA350 (Post 10134445)
Will they keep their A330 and use it on other routes or will it returned to the leasing company / Eurofly?

:D

LiorM Aug 3, 2008 2:46 pm

Thanks foogile for your posts.
I am sure you are also very active in many other forums and
I am glad that you have some time to share your insights also here .

I can try to predict your answer to my post : :D or maybe:rolleyes:
I feel :o

LiorM

apirchik Aug 5, 2008 6:17 am

Originally Posted by LXA350 (Post 10134445)

Decision on this matter will be made this week. If they decide to withdraw the NYC route, they will probably give up on the A330 as well. They may decide to cut some European routes as well.

apirchik Aug 7, 2008 6:50 am

It's official

Israir will stop their flights to JFK on Sept 13th. They will not keep the A330 and have canceled the order for one like this from Airbus.

craz Aug 7, 2008 8:10 am

Originally Posted by apirchik (Post 10164295)
Israir will stop their flights to JFK on Sept 13th. They will not keep the A330 and have canceled the order for one like this from Airbus.

yep read that on the JP site

what I dont get is why they didnt wait till after Succos to stop the flights?

If they were losing that much on the flights then why wait till 9/13 to stop them rather then today?

the article also said Is would restart the flights next Summer if the price of fuel came down.

apirchik Aug 7, 2008 8:32 am

They have to accommodate all ticketed passengers with alternate flights and my guess is that 9/13 is just the date where there aren't that much ticketed passengers past it.

Their problem is that even full flights are losing money - there isn't any point in continuing this over the holiday season.

craz Aug 7, 2008 9:37 am

Originally Posted by apirchik (Post 10164715)
They have to accommodate all ticketed passengers with alternate flights and my guess is that 9/13 is just the date where there aren't that much ticketed passengers past it.

Their problem is that even full flights are losing money - there isn't any point in continuing this over the holiday season.

Past 9/13 for 2 weeks it might be slow, but I would think from 9/27 onward they would be booked Solid due to the Holidays

So if full flights are also a $$$ Loser then why keep flying for over a month? they would be better off (not the passengers) if they simply ceased the NY flights today.