OT: Israir To Cancel TLV - NYC

Old Jul 25, 08, 4:30 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Programs: EL AL Gold, BA Gold, LH M&M
Posts: 1,038
OT: Israir To Cancel TLV - NYC

I got a "heads up" on this a few days ago, but it wasnt confirmed.

This morning Ha'aretz reported that Israir wil stop operating TLV - NYC after the summer season.
They claim its because of the rising fuel cost.

I think it also has do with ISRAIR not being considered a good airline by most Israelis. And they havent done a good job trying to change that concept.


ISRAIR only recently received an A330 for the route, so guess they will need to give it back to the leasing company.

Im not surprised, I'm not really impressed by that airline.

In hebrew:

http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/page...ubContrassID=0
ly787 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 08, 4:56 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: TLV/LHR
Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,917
You forgot the OT in your title...
clubman is offline  
Old Jul 26, 08, 3:41 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Home: Arlington, VA; Home airports: IAD/DCA/BWI
Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Posts: 4,092
Ani lo mevin

Was looking for the "English" button on the web site.
Wiirachay is offline  
Old Aug 1, 08, 8:34 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: CO Gold, AA Platinum, United Elite, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 158
Most importantly, the prices on that line tanked after Delta entered and Israir returned to operate. In April I found an $800 CO nyc-tlv flight ...

Originally Posted by ly787 View Post
I got a "heads up" on this a few days ago, but it wasnt confirmed.

This morning Ha'aretz reported that Israir wil stop operating TLV - NYC after the summer season.
They claim its because of the rising fuel cost.

I think it also has do with ISRAIR not being considered a good airline by most Israelis. And they havent done a good job trying to change that concept.


ISRAIR only recently received an A330 for the route, so guess they will need to give it back to the leasing company.

Im not surprised, I'm not really impressed by that airline.

In hebrew:

http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/page...ubContrassID=0
oresh is offline  
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:03 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,333
Originally Posted by oresh View Post
Most importantly, the prices on that line tanked after Delta entered and Israir returned to operate. In April I found an $800 CO nyc-tlv flight ...
DL is anything but Cheap. Even TowerAir had to close up. When you run something 1/2 A$$ed, then like Tower when you cant keep to flight times and planes get CXed or delayed like the sun rises whst do you expect.


I dont want them to CX the flight as it keeps everyone else in check, never flew them , never will even if they stick around
craz is offline  
Old Aug 1, 08, 12:57 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Programs: LH SENATOR
Posts: 848
Will they keep their A330 and use it on other routes or will it returned to the leasing company / Eurofly?
LXA350 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 08, 1:07 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by LXA350 View Post
Will they keep their A330 and use it on other routes or will it returned to the leasing company / Eurofly?
foogile is offline  
Old Aug 3, 08, 2:46 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: PL LY, PL CO , Gold HH
Posts: 579
Thanks foogile for your posts.
I am sure you are also very active in many other forums and
I am glad that you have some time to share your insights also here .

I can try to predict your answer to my post : or maybe
I feel

LiorM
LiorM is offline  
Old Aug 5, 08, 6:17 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Kfar Saba, Israel
Posts: 4,173
Originally Posted by LXA350 View Post
Will they keep their A330 and use it on other routes or will it returned to the leasing company / Eurofly?
Decision on this matter will be made this week. If they decide to withdraw the NYC route, they will probably give up on the A330 as well. They may decide to cut some European routes as well.
apirchik is offline  
Old Aug 7, 08, 6:50 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Kfar Saba, Israel
Posts: 4,173
It's official

Israir will stop their flights to JFK on Sept 13th. They will not keep the A330 and have canceled the order for one like this from Airbus.
apirchik is offline  
Old Aug 7, 08, 8:10 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,333
Originally Posted by apirchik View Post
Israir will stop their flights to JFK on Sept 13th. They will not keep the A330 and have canceled the order for one like this from Airbus.
yep read that on the JP site

what I dont get is why they didnt wait till after Succos to stop the flights?

If they were losing that much on the flights then why wait till 9/13 to stop them rather then today?

the article also said Is would restart the flights next Summer if the price of fuel came down.
craz is offline  
Old Aug 7, 08, 8:32 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Kfar Saba, Israel
Posts: 4,173
They have to accommodate all ticketed passengers with alternate flights and my guess is that 9/13 is just the date where there aren't that much ticketed passengers past it.

Their problem is that even full flights are losing money - there isn't any point in continuing this over the holiday season.
apirchik is offline  
Old Aug 7, 08, 9:37 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,333
Originally Posted by apirchik View Post
They have to accommodate all ticketed passengers with alternate flights and my guess is that 9/13 is just the date where there aren't that much ticketed passengers past it.

Their problem is that even full flights are losing money - there isn't any point in continuing this over the holiday season.
Past 9/13 for 2 weeks it might be slow, but I would think from 9/27 onward they would be booked Solid due to the Holidays

So if full flights are also a $$$ Loser then why keep flying for over a month? they would be better off (not the passengers) if they simply ceased the NY flights today.
craz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: