FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   Saudi Arabia Permits Air India to Overfly to Israel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1892770-saudi-arabia-permits-air-india-overfly-israel.html)

Innocent Abroad Mar 28, 2018 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by kq747 (Post 29577602)
This would be a clearly targeted law which are generally disfavored but not sure how they are regarded under the Israeli constitution

I wish there was a constitution in Israel :rolleyes:

24left Mar 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Soap. Yup.

Article

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...-use-airspace/

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4960a648d6.png

kq747 Mar 28, 2018 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad (Post 29577703)
I wish there was a constitution in Israel :rolleyes:

Point well taken :)

RedChili Mar 28, 2018 11:14 pm

While I understand that this puts El Al at a real disadvantage, I think it would actually serve them better in the long run to keep quiet about this. I would believe that quiet diplomacy is the way to go to open Saudi airspace to El Al as well.

joshwex90 Mar 29, 2018 2:18 am

It's not at all surprising to see LY sue in Israeli court. They have no standing in Saudi Arabia and are at an unfair disadvantage, so they feel they must do something.

Is suing in Israeli court doing something or a waste of time? I'd say it's doing something. It would not be unheard of for the Israeli court to move into protectionist mode for a major Israeli company by compelling the Transportation Ministry to block the route by AI.

yosithezet Mar 29, 2018 2:25 am

I would imagine that the suit could bolster any request by EL AL of further subsidies and tax breaks.

GUWonder Mar 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 29579472)
It's not at all surprising to see LY sue in Israeli court. They have no standing in Saudi Arabia and are at an unfair disadvantage, so they feel they must do something.

Is suing in Israeli court doing something or a waste of time? I'd say it's doing something. It would not be unheard of for the Israeli court to move into protectionist mode for a major Israeli company by compelling the Transportation Ministry to block the route by AI.

Sometimes doing something is worse than waiting, no less so when there is such a thing as “winning the battle that costs you the war”.

It’s not like blocking Air India from using Saudi airspace to operate a flight to India’s largest Middle Eastern defense supplier is going to get Saudi Arabia to make El Al’s life any better. There are other things the Israeli Government could do to try to get the Saudis to allow expanded use of Saudi airspace for flights to/from Israel. I have no doubt that those other things are part of the cards available in the deck to be played and that would be played with or without LY litigating this matter in Israeli courts. But is LY really litigating this because LY wants to force a more rapid delivery of expanded use of Saudi airspace for flights to/from Israel? I have my doubts.

frb98mf Apr 1, 2018 3:02 pm

LY won't overfly Saudi Arabia ever, IMHO - too big a security risk for the plane, crew, pax and cargo on many levels. This is simply a ploy to either stymy AI from taking market share, not just on the direct route but on lots of the through routes they have elsewhere in Asia where the cost-conscious traveller is happy to take an India stopover, or places they have to change planes and carriers ie Sydney, or to force the Israeli govt to provide them with a compensatory subsidy for lost business and extra fuel for having to swing round the Red Sea vs the direct route. They effectively blackmailed them into covering 97.5% of their security costs on the grounds that they were 40x higher than other carriers, a finger-in-the-wind statistic, that also doesn't factor in that many pax and cargo customers, including the govt themselves, happily pay a hefty premium for said security.

BATLV Apr 3, 2018 1:20 am

Originally Posted by frb98mf (Post 29591222)
LY won't overfly Saudi Arabia ever, IMHO - too big a security risk for the plane, crew, pax and cargo on many levels. This is simply a ploy to either stymy AI from taking market share, not just on the direct route but on lots of the through routes they have elsewhere in Asia where the cost-conscious traveller is happy to take an India stopover, or places they have to change planes and carriers ie Sydney, or to force the Israeli govt to provide them with a compensatory subsidy for lost business and extra fuel for having to swing round the Red Sea vs the direct route. They effectively blackmailed them into covering 97.5% of their security costs on the grounds that they were 40x higher than other carriers, a finger-in-the-wind statistic, that also doesn't factor in that many pax and cargo customers, including the govt themselves, happily pay a hefty premium for said security.

Current routing over the Red Sea, Djibouti, Somaliland sometimes, without proper ATC along the way is far riskier in terms of safety than overflying KSA, which is a not an enemy, has proper facilities and will surely handle LY a/c and pax according to international norms and regulations.

NYTA Apr 5, 2018 5:28 pm

Interestingly, LATAM just announced flights to GRU and then on to SCL which, if flown in a great circle route, overfly Libya, and a bunch of other North African countries not so friendly to Israel

flyerby Apr 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Coming to think of it, LY has less of an argument that I thought it had because LY and AI fly from different cities in India. LY-BOM & AI-DEL. These cities are 700 miles apart. Thats's the same distance between TLV and IST.
Moreover, AI doesn't fly directly to Israel because it can't go over Iran and Pakistan. That's about a 700 miles detour which is a bit less than the detour LY has to take - about 1,000 miles.

Hamatmidim Apr 27, 2018 7:58 am

Originally Posted by flyerby (Post 29687226)
Coming to think of it, LY has less of an argument that I thought it had because LY and AI fly from different cities in India. LY-BOM & AI-DEL. These cities are 700 miles apart. Thats's the same distance between TLV and IST.
Moreover, AI doesn't fly directly to Israel because it can't go over Iran and Pakistan. That's about a 700 miles detour which is a bit less than the detour LY has to take - about 1,000 miles.

Well I guess both plan to expand their Israel-India routes someday.

Dovster Apr 27, 2018 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Hamatmidim (Post 29689636)
Well I guess both plan to expand their Israel-India routes someday.

El Al serves only kosher meals and I very much doubt that AI has beef on its menu. If I fly AI someday will they offer me pork chops instead?

BATLV Apr 29, 2018 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Dovster (Post 29690352)
El Al serves only kosher meals and I very much doubt that AI has beef on its menu. If I fly AI someday will they offer me pork chops instead?

As any legacy airline, AI offers special kosher meals if you preorder.

Dovster Apr 29, 2018 3:04 am

Originally Posted by BATLV (Post 29695225)
As any legacy airline, AI offers special kosher meals if you preorder.

I'm not looking for kosher food. I am looking for good-tasting meat.