Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Saudi Arabia Permits Air India to Overfly to Israel

Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

This could be quite a game changer for Asia flights if Saudi Arabia starts allowing airlines to overfly its territory enroute to Israel... Presumably this will never apply to El Al...

https://www.dailysabah.com/mideast/2...e-its-airspace
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Story is denied by the Saudis. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN1FR276
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I wonder why the Saudis would object. People are going to continue to fly from India to Israel (and vice-versa) even without this arrangement. You would think that the Saudis would prefer that India makes the profits, not Israel.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Dovster
I wonder why the Saudis would object. People are going to continue to fly from India to Israel (and vice-versa) even without this arrangement. You would think that the Saudis would prefer that India makes the profits, not Israel.
Because of anti-normalization.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:07 am

There's a difference between what they can say and do in public, and what they do clandestinely. I fully believe that the current Saudi government would support normalization and diplomatic ties with Israel, but their population wouldn't necessarily be applauding the government decision. Also, certain political figures in Ramallah would probably try to rally the entire Muslim world in an uproar against Saudi Arabia for doing so. With all the tension and fighting currently taking place between Sunni and Shia Muslims, Riyadh doesn't want to do something to endanger Sunni "unity," (not that Sunni Turkey is especially unified with Saudi Arabia anyway).
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:38 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Let’s keep this thread focused on travel topics rather than broad International Relations.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
The interesting aspect to me, is that even LY already fly's routes where they would have to land in an "unfriendly" country in the event of an emergency. So it is not a question of security at all, but just PR, Politics and pride..
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Really ? On which routes ?
(has a heated discussion last night on flying LY based on the reasoning that they don't...)
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:16 am

Any route that flies over the red sea. E.g., LY82. They fly over Somalia, and just between Saudi Arabia and the Sudan. If anything goes wrong...

Shuly
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by shuly
Any route that flies over the red sea. E.g., LY82. They fly over Somalia, and just between Saudi Arabia and the Sudan. If anything goes wrong...

Shuly
I would imagine, at least in the current political climate, that they could land safely in Saudi Arabia and besides the external appearance of a frigid reception by the Saudis, all would be fine.
makin'miles likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by moe8555
I would imagine, at least in the current political climate, that they could land safely in Saudi Arabia and besides an externally projected frigid reception by the Saudis, all would be fine.
I believe that international law requires every country to honor a request from any plane to allow it to land because of an emergency. Of course, the country is allowed to set reasonable rules for the landing. This was the case a few years ago with an Iranian passenger jet sought permission to land in Israel. Israel agreed but sent fighter jets to ensure that the plane went where it was told -- which was to an Air Force base, not TLV.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
So the inaugural flight is supposed to be in 19 days but AI still hasn’t put out an official acknowledgement of the route and it hasn’t been loaded for booking.

looks like it may not happen after all.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, TK Gold, QR Platinum, WY Sinbad Gold, SV Alfursan Gold
As a Saudi, I am all for Saudi and Israel normalising relations 100%. Infact, it’s a wish that I visit Israel.. by car too! However, without final & just peace with the Palestinians, we will risk having an internal mayhem. The likes of Qatar (and its AlJazeera) Turkey & Iran will use this as a way to destabilise our country. So the ball is in Israel’s court.. sort out peace and have a warm welcome to Saudi and all the GCC.
makin'miles, ELAL, BATLV and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:39 am

Seems like it does happen after all: https://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,73....html#autoplay
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, TK Gold, QR Platinum, WY Sinbad Gold, SV Alfursan Gold
Originally Posted by BATLV
Seems like it does happen after all: https://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,73....html#autoplay
I don’t see why there is so much fuss about AI overflying Saudi to TLV.. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good to see the Israeli public noting the importance of Saudi as a neighbour that’s got so much potential for Israeli logistics and economy. But the airline is Indian, just like BA overflyng Saudi to BKK from LHR with an Israeli pax on board.. emergency landing in Saudi? So what?? Saudi welcomed an Israeli reporter (I think ynet) during an Arab summit a couple of years ago.. she returned to Israel with her head still intact!

However, plz note something important here that underscores what I said previously.. the only media that is amplifying this story in the Arab world is the Qatar & Turkish media. By this they are trying to stir anti Saudi sentiment.. But it seems that MBS is replying with a “go to hell” attitude, and that’s refreshing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.