FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   Passport control times thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1786202-passport-control-times-thread.html)

NYTA Aug 22, 2016 9:11 am

Passport control times thread

I have found wait times rather variable at TLV so thought we should do a thread where we report at what time/date we arrived at passport control, which line we stood in (Israeli or foreign) and how long the wait was. Optional to report how much longer or shorter was the other type of line.

Please no smug posts from biometric passport holders going through the machines with their handprints or otherwise.

Ready - go!

Dovster Aug 24, 2016 6:42 am

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 27101544)

Please no smug posts from biometric passport holders going through the machines with their handprints or otherwise.

Now that the machines are accepting all Israeli passports, biometric or not, and most Israeli frequent flyers have the cards to use on the older machines, I don't see why there should be any wait at all for Israeli travellers.

Houminer Aug 24, 2016 7:01 am

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 27101544)

Ready - go!

Now that the machines are accepting all Israeli passports, biometric or not, and most Israeli frequent flyers have the cards to use on the older machines, I don't see why there should be any wait at all for Israeli travellers.

No smug posts from biometric passport holders will be a big challenge.

Ditto Aug 24, 2016 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Dovster (Post 27111743)

Because pax don't know/don't want to use the machines.
I arrived to TLV about 2 months ago, and despite having agents calling up pax from the queue to use the machines many with Israeli passports stayed in the queue, which with only 2 desks open started at the entrance to the hall.

NYTA Aug 24, 2016 9:33 am

My sister (who has an American passport) waited over an hour on Monday at 6pm. Apparently there were only four lines open for the entire airport.

joshwex90 Aug 24, 2016 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Ditto (Post 27112063)
Because pax don't know/don't want to use the machines.
I arrived to TLV about 2 months ago, and despite having agents calling up pax from the queue to use the machines many with Israeli passports stayed in the queue, which with only 2 desks open started at the entrance to the hall.

Why though?

Ditto Aug 24, 2016 10:10 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 27112573)
Why though?

Dunno, I didn't ask :D:D

benberg2013 Aug 24, 2016 9:31 pm

I think it can also vary on days of the week. And sometimes more charters than other times.

simba8 Aug 29, 2016 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 27112488)
My sister (who has an American passport) waited over an hour on Monday at 6pm. Apparently there were only four lines open for the entire airport.

It really is crazy.

Not sure if is a ministry issue or airport operations..but its pretty painful, and I do think its gotten worse over time.Its really is the most byzantine process.

Not sure why they wont just set up a snake line instead of the cinema style lines.

benberg2013 Sep 13, 2016 1:22 pm

This afternoon around 6pm crazy long lines, going until the back of the hall, and even further, towards the ramp. Very few open booths. Israeli passports much shorter as usual.

joshwex90 Sep 13, 2016 2:36 pm

Yesterday was dumb. All kiosks outside the hall were covered and in the hall, only 2 were open - all others were covered. So the line was long, and there were 2 lines open - staff/disabled and foreign passports. All handprint kiosks were open.

On the way out last week, there were 6 passport lines open, all for Israeli passport holders, and were all long.

Dovster Sep 13, 2016 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 27207311)
Yesterday was dumb. All kiosks outside the hall were covered and in the hall, only 2 were open - all others were covered. So the line was long, and there were 2 lines open - staff/disabled and foreign passports. All handprint kiosks were open.

On the way out last week, there were 6 passport lines open, all for Israeli passport holders, and were all long.

Were the old machines which take the biometric cards still in operation?

joshwex90 Sep 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster (Post 27207331)
Were the old machines which take the biometric cards still in operation?

On departure, didn't see any at all. Looks like they've moved everyone to the new kiosks. On arrival, where they're stricter (non-Israelis still can't use kiosks), they all seemed to be operational

benberg2013 Sep 13, 2016 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 27207428)
(non-Israelis still can't use kiosks),

I'm longing for that day...

simba8 Sep 14, 2016 8:15 am

there must be something going on- maybe work to rule?
supporting LY pilots?
Take some photos next time, send them in to TOI.