FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   EL AL | Matmid (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid-610/)
-   -   Changes in Dan lounge access with Israeli CCs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al-matmid/1681290-changes-dan-lounge-access-israeli-ccs.html)

dand99 May 19, 2015 10:03 pm

Changes in Dan lounge access with Israeli CCs

I was told yesterday that their agreement with Visa CAL (free access for "business" cards) had expired - as of Apr 1.

Was able to get in using my Mastercard Corporate.

Well, I guess it had to end sometime.... I am guessing that more changes (ie less free access) are on the way...

D.

moe8555 May 19, 2015 11:08 pm

I have the Diners High Miles card (also CAL) and their agreement ended towards the end of March.

However, now we get to pick one of four options for a free gift at the airport, which can be used once a week: sandwich and coffee at Cafe Joe, personal pizza and beverage at Pizza Hut, free book at Steimatzky, or free meal at the Asian restaurant.

There are still plenty of cards with other companies that offer free access, some of them without monthly fees even!

dand99 May 20, 2015 1:11 am

I for one would be interested in hearing....

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 24842064)

There are still plenty of cards with other companies that offer free access, some of them without monthly fees even!

dand99 May 20, 2015 1:17 am

OK, I was lazy....

http://www.hashekel.co.il/blog/1714

nombody May 20, 2015 7:23 am

https://www.americanexpress.co.il/Cl...lub/18444.html

photographer2012 May 22, 2015 2:12 pm

Leumi card business executive is changing it's free dan lounge policy from 1 of July, it's going to be under "Pinukim" and not free automatic access

My other Leumi card (Business) - no more free access

joshwex90 May 25, 2015 9:22 am

It seems Anashim Umachshavim remains the only free card that offers free Dan access.

Houminer May 26, 2015 1:12 am

MasterCard corporate also

joshwex90 May 26, 2015 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Houminer (Post 24869270)
MasterCard corporate also

Israeli issued card? And open to the general public?

moe8555 May 26, 2015 2:00 am

Do you all think that these changes will help cut down the number of people in the lounge? How many had access only because of the free cards?

joshwex90 May 26, 2015 2:16 am

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 24869360)
Do you all think that these changes will help cut down the number of people in the lounge? How many had access only because of the free cards?

I doubt it's the Dan that's cutting down. VIP service was never their thing. More likely the card issuers no longer want to pay

photographer2012 May 26, 2015 3:39 pm

My guess is that there are too many cards with no monthly fee that offer free access and people only had them for that purpose and did not use them for purchases

But also, maybe it is Dan that tries to cut down the amount of people - Leumi and CAL are 2 different companies that changed the terms pretty much on the same time....so maybe the change did come from Dan's direction

Houminer May 26, 2015 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 24869288)
Israeli issued card? And open to the general public?

Yes, it's an Israeli card. Your company needs to have an agreement with isracard

entropy May 26, 2015 10:35 pm

But also, maybe it is Dan that tries to cut down the amount of people - Leumi and CAL are 2 different companies that changed the terms pretty much on the same time....so maybe the change did come from Dan's direction
Well, Dan may have said "hey, instead of paying 80 NIS per head, its 100" and then the CC's responded.

joshwex90 May 27, 2015 3:14 am

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 24874129)
Well, Dan may have said "hey, instead of paying 80 NIS per head, its 100" and then the CC's responded.

It was already 100 :p

dand99 May 27, 2015 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 24874809)
It was already 100 :p

We don't know how much the CC companies were paying (unless some insider would like to chime in....)

I am also pretty sure that the Dan lounges care not a hoot about crowding - the more fees, the merrier.

Both Leumi Business (?) and Visa Business are paid cards... I pay an average of 20 NIS per month per card, I guess I should drop a few (Visa business for one, if no free lounge access any more)

4X-ELI Jun 2, 2015 1:54 am

MasterCard Corporate changes

As of Sep 1st 2015 there will be some changes with MasterCard Corporate as well, Hebrew source:
https://www.isracard.co.il/pages/Art...0&mp=4,45,2540

From this date on, card entitles one free access every month providing a 2000NIS spending the previous month. Will require downloading a coupon from web site or app.

Houminer Jun 2, 2015 3:23 am

Originally Posted by 4X-ELI (Post 24905445)
As of Sep 1st 2015 there will be some changes with MasterCard Corporate as well, Hebrew source:

From this date on, card entitles one free access every month providing a 2000NIS spending the previous month. Will require downloading a coupon from web site or app.

That sucks.

moe8555 Jun 2, 2015 6:24 am

I have another experience update:
Last week I used my High Miles card to get a free personal pie and lemonade from Pizza Hut. It was pretty simple: a short form to fill out on the CAL website and the confirmation was received within seconds to my inbox.

I told the cashier that I wanted to use the benefit and she didn't even need to see the confirmation, only the actual card. The receipt had a grand total of 0 NIS: a charge of 42 NIS for the deal and then a second line with -42 NIS discount.

I personally enjoy the lounge (and thankfully had access through a different card), but I think some of you would beg to differ and would rather have a benefit like this :-)

nombody Jun 2, 2015 6:52 am

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 24906097)
I have another experience update:
Last week I used my High Miles card to get a free personal pie and lemonade from Pizza Hut. It was pretty simple: a short form to fill out on the CAL website and the confirmation was received within seconds to my inbox.

I told the cashier that I wanted to use the benefit and she didn't even need to see the confirmation, only the actual card. The receipt had a grand total of 0 NIS: a charge of 42 NIS for the deal and then a second line with -42 NIS discount.

I personally enjoy the lounge (and thankfully had access through a different card), but I think some of you would beg to differ and would rather have a benefit like this :-)

I agree - that's a much better benefit than the lounge access.

dand99 Jun 3, 2015 12:44 am

For me that means one thing - bye-bye, Mastercard.

Originally Posted by 4X-ELI (Post 24905445)

moe8555 Jun 3, 2015 4:01 am

Originally Posted by dand99 (Post 24910880)
For me that means one thing - bye-bye, Mastercard.

What card do you plan on getting instead?

dand99 Jun 4, 2015 7:20 am

I'll look into the one card that seems to be left - anashim vemahshevim I think ?

I was holding on to my Visa Business, Amex Business and MC Corporate for lounge access - guess that makes me a sucker....

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 24911268)
What card do you plan on getting instead?

NYTA Jul 12, 2015 6:27 am

I am in the C lounge now and it is more crowded than ever. Not sure if it is because of the CC companies or what but this is crazy.

TLVtraveler Jul 12, 2015 10:36 am

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 25104809)
I am in the C lounge now and it is more crowded than ever. Not sure if it is because of the CC companies or what but this is crazy.

It's mid July, one of the busiest traveling seasons in Israel, all foreign airlines use the lounge for their premium pax. I'm not surprised if the lounge is full with or without CC pax.

To be honest I don't bother going into the Dan lounge anymore, it's almost always full, has no decent food offerings or proper seating - I prefer to sit near the central fountain, it has a much nicer atmosphere....

joshwex90 Jul 12, 2015 2:41 pm

I go into the lounge for the bathroom because it has better toilet paper :D

Other than that, I no longer see a need/desire. I don't fly LCCs so I don't need food (either I ate before or will on the plane) and liquids can be brought past security so there's no need for something to drink. The WiFi in the lounge is worse than in the terminal, and worst case scenario, I could always tether my phone.

Am I missing something? Entering the Dan at some points feels like entering just because I can

moe8555 Jul 12, 2015 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 25106422)
Am I missing something? Entering the Dan at some points feels like entering just because I can

You forgot about the free beer!

NYTA Jul 13, 2015 2:53 am

I'm in the Dan lounge on average 2-3x per month. Typically, I get a snack - a salad and hummus/tehina as that's all that's really edible there - a cappuccino and an orange Prigat. If I can get a seat with a plug, I'll plug in my phone. The free snacks/drinks make it worthwhile as a cappuccino at Arcaffe costs around 20 shekels! I get in for free with either elite status or priority pass (or a combination when I'm with my kids) so when you multiply that x3 it's worth it, but still, one of the worst lounges ever.

Furthermore, I don't buy the "busy travel season" thing, as while it is clearly a busy travel season, the LH lounge in FRA or many of the lounges in the European airports I have frequented in the last few weeks (AZ in FCO), 3rd party lounge at CGN, TK lounge at IST, etc. aren't nearly as crowded on a people per square meter basis as the Dan. The only one that comes close is the LX lounge in ZRH.

joshwex90 Jul 13, 2015 4:16 am

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 25108464)
I'm in the Dan lounge on average 2-3x per month. Typically, I get a snack - a salad and hummus/tehina as that's all that's really edible there - a cappuccino and an orange Prigat. If I can get a seat with a plug, I'll plug in my phone. The free snacks/drinks make it worthwhile as a cappuccino at Arcaffe costs around 20 shekels! I get in for free with either elite status or priority pass (or a combination when I'm with my kids) so when you multiply that x3 it's worth it, but still, one of the worst lounges ever.

Furthermore, I don't buy the "busy travel season" thing, as while it is clearly a busy travel season, the LH lounge in FRA or many of the lounges in the European airports I have frequented in the last few weeks (AZ in FCO), 3rd party lounge at CGN, TK lounge at IST, etc. aren't nearly as crowded on a people per square meter basis as the Dan. The only one that comes close is the LX lounge in ZRH.

It would make sense that they're not as crowded per square meter because even if/though they have larger crowds, they also have much larger lounges to accommodate them

entropy Jul 13, 2015 10:05 am

TLV is operating at its design capacity, and it seems the lounges are too small in general.

EWR has the same problem with the UA lounges, its a zoo. and they don't even have hummus

would be great if star built a lounge in the new concourse...

joshwex90 Jul 13, 2015 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 25110088)
TLV is operating at its design capacity, and it seems the lounges are too small in general.

EWR has the same problem with the UA lounges, its a zoo. and they don't even have hummus

would be great if star built a lounge in the new concourse...

I would love to see a *A or TK lounge. I could certainly see the justification

economyman Jul 14, 2015 12:06 am

The Dan+ lounge is a little better than the regular Dan lounges because it does not give access to credit card holders so it remains rather calm. When I'm there before a BA flight I usually have a few seats to myself but TBH I really don't get to the airport early enough to have more than 10 minutes spare before boarding once I'm through security so I don't care much for the lounges either way.

joshwex90 Jul 14, 2015 1:36 am

Originally Posted by economyman (Post 25113648)
The Dan+ lounge is a little better than the regular Dan lounges because it does not give access to credit card holders so it remains rather calm. When I'm there before a BA flight I usually have a few seats to myself but TBH I really don't get to the airport early enough to have more than 10 minutes spare before boarding once I'm through security so I don't care much for the lounges either way.

I've only been in the Dan+ in the morning, so don't know how it compares to other times, but agree that it was emptier. I found the offering to be the same and the location to be a bit worse.

But it does indeed give free access to credit card holders. Unless that was a secret I'm supposed to keep

joshwex90 Jul 14, 2015 12:55 pm

I was browsing the Amex website and I happened upon this information (that was never sent through any other format) regarding the Anashim Umachshavim (People & PC) Amex Gold Business card:

לידיעתך, החל מחודש ספטמבר 2015 יחול שינוי בהטבת הכניסה לטרקלין דן בנתב"ג בכרטיסך.
החל ממועד זה, תהיה זכאי להטבה של כניסה אחת חינם בחודש (בין מועדי חיוב) בכרטיסך,
בכפוף לחיוב חשבונך בגין עסקאות בבתי עסק בסך של 2,000 ₪ ומעלה במועד החיוב האחרון.
Translation: "For your information, starting September 2015, the benefit of Dan Lounge access at TLV on your card will be changed. Starting at this point, you will be eligible for the benefit of one free entrance in a month (between billing dates) on your card if you fulfill the requirement of charging on your account NIS 2,000 at businesses or more from your last statement."

So it sounds like the free entrance is drastically being reduced. Up until now, all card-holders have had unlimited free entry, regardless of card usage. Now, it's limited to those spending NIS 2,000/month, and only once a month.

economyman Jul 14, 2015 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 25113811)
But it does indeed give free access to credit card holders. Unless that was a secret I'm supposed to keep

Was not aware of that. Originally at least the lounge was for exclusive use of BA. I know they then added access for UA but timing was different. I guess general access now applies for all airlines and credit cards.

benberg2013 Jul 14, 2015 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by economyman (Post 25118935)
I guess general access now applies for all airlines and credit cards.

It does not.

By check-in, you receive an invitation - when flying BA or UA, you receive an invite to the Dan+, and when flying any other airline you receive an invite to the regular Dan.
I think Josh is saying that certain Israeli credit cards in addition do gain access to the Dan+.
I don't expect that an Amex, (or any CC for that matter) issued in a foreign country gains access. I tried half a year ago with Amex Plat from UK and was denied access to Dan+

moe8555 Jul 15, 2015 2:55 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 25113811)

Would you mind telling us which card(s) give access to the Dan+?

moe8555 Jul 15, 2015 2:58 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 25116501)
I was browsing the Amex website and I happened upon this information (that was never sent through any other format) regarding the Anashim Umachshavim (People & PC) Amex Gold Business card:

Translation: "For your information, starting September 2015, the benefit of Dan Lounge access at TLV on your card will be changed. Starting at this point, you will be eligible for the benefit of one free entrance in a month (between billing dates) on your card if you fulfill the requirement of charging on your account NIS 2,000 at businesses or more from your last statement."

So it sounds like the free entrance is drastically being reduced. Up until now, all card-holders have had unlimited free entry, regardless of card usage. Now, it's limited to those spending NIS 2,000/month, and only once a month.

Terrible news! I have a flight on September 20 and was planning on using that card for access. I can put 2000 on the card, but it would be at the expense of putting it on a more lucrative card...

So which free or almost free cards still give access?

joshwex90 Jul 15, 2015 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 25119524)
Would you mind telling us which card(s) give access to the Dan+?

I had access with my Amex Anashim Umachshavim and my friend with an Israeli Amex Plat

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 25119527)
Terrible news! I have a flight on September 20 and was planning on using that card for access. I can put 2000 on the card, but it would be at the expense of putting it on a more lucrative card...

So which free or almost free cards still give access?

None that I'm aware of. The LeumiCard Executive card is free and offers 1 free access a month as well via a voucher you order in advance from the website

turbjuo Jul 15, 2015 11:13 pm

Changes in Dan lounge access with Israeli CCs

https://www.leumi-card.co.il/he-il/Cards/Pages/TelAvivUniversity.aspx

if youre a tel aviv uni graduate u can apply for this card which has no monthly fee and it appears there is still free access to the dan lounge with no restrictions.