Wiki Posts
Search

Travel with blown knee

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Travel with blown knee

I've torn ligaments in my knee and was wondering what kind of accommodation(s) I could request on an upcoming SLC-AMS-BCN and return trip that I booked in economy - before the accident. For example, could I request the exit row or bulkhead seats, so I could elevate my leg during the flight and possibly ice it (can I bring ice packs, or is it better to request ice on the plane?) When and where would I best make such a request? Should I get specific Doctor's or PT notes? I'm only 5'-4" and traveling with my spouse, and would like to stay seated next to him, so he can help to keep the knee comfy.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
With a blown knee, you wouldn't be physically able to work the exit, so you wouldn't be eligible to sit in the exit row.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
With a blown knee, you wouldn't be physically able to work the exit, so you wouldn't be eligible to sit in the exit row.
It would very much depend on the extend of the injury, I can walk normally and do pretty much all activities fine with a brace. As long as I don't have to kick the door open, I don't see how a laterally unstable, but braced knee would keep me from opening the door. I did ski on this knee. The issue with regular seating is the inability to elevate the leg, and the resulting swelling.

Any input on what I need to approach the airline(s) about requesting accommodations would be helpful. Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I am in the exact same situation. I blew out my MCL and ACL while skiing in Colorado in January and had to get home to ORD. I'm going to be in the brace for a month or so more and have some business trips coming up. I typically fly United, so I did a little research and found the following out:

I put that I cannot walk a long distance so that I can get wheelchair / beeping cart assistance. I plan to use the wheelchair assistance for some time because I cannot stand for very long. I like to plan ahead, so I wanted it in my reservations.
United has an option to request special seating due to a disability. I know you can use that option for your seat, but you might need to call in to have a companion moved.
You cannot sit in the exit row. While you believe that you can do what is necessary to open the door, your mobility is affected. You do not move as fast; you cannot be counted on to assist other passengers, etc. Knowing what I am experiencing with my issues, I would be very uncomfortable seeing you sitting in the exit row in the future.
altabello and boxo like this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
How far in the future is your flight from the date you tore your ligaments?

I only needed to ice the knee in the first week after the injury.

PS-you can't sit in an exit row with that injury. You can't ask for an accommodation because your are injured and then at the same time say you are completely fit, which is a requirement for sitting in an exit row.

Last edited by mapleg; Feb 2, 2018 at 5:11 pm
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by altabello
It would very much depend on the extend of the injury, I can walk normally and do pretty much all activities fine with a brace. As long as I don't have to kick the door open, I don't see how a laterally unstable, but braced knee would keep me from opening the door. I did ski on this knee. The issue with regular seating is the inability to elevate the leg, and the resulting swelling.

Any input on what I need to approach the airline(s) about requesting accommodations would be helpful. Thanks.
If you skied you can fly. No airline on a longhaul is going to upgrade you for an owiee. If you believe you need the extra room, you should act now to ensure it by paying for an upgrade to the seat you need/desire.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: United MP
Which airline? Last time I flew an upgrade to Economy Plus was like $25. Maybe your airline has something like that?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Which airline? Last time I flew an upgrade to Economy Plus was like $25. Maybe your airline has something like that?
Suggesting someone pays for what they want? Where has the world come to?

I do agree that it is unlikely you can request much, especially since you seem to argue you are completely fit.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
I don't know when that was, the routing, or your fare class, but for my TATLs (and the OP is talking about a TATL, plus connection) moving up to Economy Plus has been more like $200 recently.

Still, I agree that it's hard to argue that you're fit enough for the exit row but still need special accommodation for free.
trooper and CDTraveler like this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by theddo
Suggesting someone pays for what they want? Where has the world come to?

I do agree that it is unlikely you can request much, especially since you seem to argue you are completely fit.

I only suggested it because I know most airline don't give free upgrades to those with disabilities. I know they do on rare occasions, but generally not. I'm struggling with much worse things than the OP and I know they generally will not give me anyhing
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
I don't know when that was, the routing, or your fare class, but for my TATLs (and the OP is talking about a TATL, plus connection) moving up to Economy Plus has been more like $200 recently.

Still, I agree that it's hard to argue that you're fit enough for the exit row but still need special accommodation for free.
That was a domestic US flight. I overlooked that they were talking about a TATL flight. Still $200 seems sort of okay to me for that.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:42 pm

I only suggested it because I know most airline don't give free upgrades to those with disabilities. I know they do on rare occasions, but generally not. I'm struggling with much worse things than the OP and I know they generally will not give me anyhing
Maybe my irony wasn't perfectly clear online. I agree with you and find this thread silly.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dj506
I am in the exact same situation. I blew out my MCL and ACL while skiing in Colorado in January and had to get home to ORD. I'm going to be in the brace for a month or so more and have some business trips coming up. I typically fly United, so I did a little research and found the following out:

I put that I cannot walk a long distance so that I can get wheelchair / beeping cart assistance. I plan to use the wheelchair assistance for some time because I cannot stand for very long. I like to plan ahead, so I wanted it in my reservations.
United has an option to request special seating due to a disability. I know you can use that option for your seat, but you might need to call in to have a companion moved.
You cannot sit in the exit row. While you believe that you can do what is necessary to open the door, your mobility is affected. You do not move as fast; you cannot be counted on to assist other passengers, etc. Knowing what I am experiencing with my issues, I would be very uncomfortable seeing you sitting in the exit row in the future.
Thanks for your reply and good luck with your recovery! Sounds like your knee is in a condition where you need mobility assistance, I hope it gets to a better state soon! Luckily, my knee is much better off. I'm almost back to walking normally already (2 weeks since injury), only wear a brace for sports, etc. Within a the next few weeks, there will be nothing visible to bystanders about the limitations of my knee. I had knee surgery on the right knee 21 years ago, and have sat in the exit row since, no one ever questioned my abilities, or asked about prior, disqualifying surgeries or injuries.
My limitation with sitting in a regular seat is swelling ONLY, not any sort of mobility limitation.

I was mainly looking for advice on how to approach the airline(s) about accommodations, b/c I haven't been able to place a call yet when I had enough time to stay on the line. Call-back didn't work, either, so that's why I thought it would be good to know my options ahead of time, and get things done with ONE call.

While I immediately got chastised for wanting to sit in the exit row, it was just an idea. Just like bulkhead seats, just an idea at this point.

When I booked, a C+ upgrade for TATL was $149 one way, but they now don't offer it as an upgrade anymore. Could I ask for it as an accommodation? I would pay for it if need to be.

Last edited by altabello; Feb 6, 2018 at 12:44 pm Reason: grammar
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line, if you ask for any accommodation, you will not be seated in an exit row. The GA's and FA's are not docs and do not make medical judgments. They make broad-based safety judgments and frankly, liability judgments.

It is very unlikely that UA will give you a freebie E+ or J seat. It is not obligated to do so and it is a slippery slope. You may ask, of course, but don't expect anything.

Ask for ice onboard. You should bring whatever it is by way of ice bag that you want, but it's easily enough filled onboard.

With a doc's note, you may be assigned to a handicapped seat. That doesn't sound as though it will do much for you, so maybe more hassle than it's worth.
altabello likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by altabello
I've torn ligaments in my knee and was wondering what kind of accommodation(s) I could request on an upcoming SLC-AMS-BCN and return trip that I booked in economy - before the accident. For example, could I request the exit row or bulkhead seats, so I could elevate my leg during the flight and possibly ice it (can I bring ice packs, or is it better to request ice on the plane?) When and where would I best make such a request? Should I get specific Doctor's or PT notes? I'm only 5'-4" and traveling with my spouse, and would like to stay seated next to him, so he can help to keep the knee comfy.
Bulkhead seats might not be your best choice. If you can get a row with an empty seat between you and your husband, you can lift the armrest and sit sideways and elevate the leg that way. In the bulkhead row the armrest usually is solid and you can't raise it. There's also no telling how far ahead of you the wall (or curtain) will be, and some FA's strenuously object to people putting their feet on the wall no matter what your (medical) excuse might be.

It's reasonable to request that you have an empty seat in your row, it's not reasonable to demand it.
altabello likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.